Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Reg. The Soproanos...but now I know how it ends!!

It occurred to me today that SR is a bit like the Statue of Liberty.."...Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."
Mirage -- How do you know how it ends?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Welcome Toronto68! The people here are a great, sometimes "weird", group, but I feel really comfortable here. Don't be afraid to check out all the other forums. Especially the "New Posts" tag. Whether you are a newcomer or veteran, most of these new post people are REALLY new and need support. Your experiences will certainly benefit someone.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome Toronto68! So nice to have you here.

Asta...I don't know how it ends...but I think it will someday.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Asta...I don't know how it ends...but I think it will someday.
Mirage: Huh?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Mirage--I read back on the posts and get your comment re; the Sopranos. I want them to be my neighbors!!Keep my back protected, etc. etc. Anyway, I have this fascination with the mafia -- don't know why but I have ever since college and when the Godfather came out. I am 100% Swedish, about totally opposite of the Sicilian. My hair is naturally brown in adulthood (and remains so until I declare it IT TO BE OTHERWISE!)

Guess ideally I want to live in an ideal world with ideal people where everything went my way. Never going to happen. Oh well. I'll be 60 this year and have survived somehow...Don't want to live forever, but another 10 years would be nice. Have a nice evening/
Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Ha..sorry, nevermind Asta..I misunderstood you. I know how it ends cuz the media made such a big deal about it and showed it all over the place after it aired! And then the Clintons did that take-off on it...in the booth in the diner? But no..I don't really know how the story goes, or ends.

I'm half Italian w/ an Italian surname, so I always got teased about my Uncle Gino comin after people who crossed me. ha. People loved that I had an Uncle Gino.

OH, somethin tells me you have a lot more than 10 years ahead of you!!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Welcome Toronto!
I hope everyone is doing well. I’ve had a very long first week back and the family got back in a few days ago. We’ve been living it up and I’ve been on an intense Oscar movie regiment. So far, I’ve seen 9 of the best picture nominations and I’m scheduled to finally see Avatar today to make all 10 before the big show… which I will be Tivo-ing… and I plan to get up at 5am to watch before work. I don’t want to have any ruined surprises this year. This will be the first time since “As Good As It Get” won that I will have seen all the best picture nominations before the show.
So far all of the best picture movies have been really good… except “A Serious Man”. This movie proves only one thing… that the Coen Brother have reached a level where they can make complete garbage and still get nominated for best picture. I love the Coen Brothers… but this movie is a complete waste of time.
I’m looking forward to Avatar!
BTW: I’ve heard Invictus and Crazy Heart are amazing and should have made the top ten for best picture. I’ll have to see them after the fact next week. Noticing how little boy excited/geeky I am about all this, she has agreed to make Friday nights Oscar movie nights… we’ll watch on each Friday until we’ve seen all the nominations. Sweet.
I hope everyone is having a great Oscar Sunday! Peace!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Oscar spoiler alert!!

Wow Tytan..well done! I only managed to see 5 out of the 10. After the buzz was about The Hurt Locker and Avatar for best pic, I didn't try too hard to see the others. It was a fun show! I run an Oscar pool...only had 5 of us in it, for 10 bucks a head. My husband and I tied for the win!! Hey, it's 30 bucks. All of our pics were pretty different except for the main ones, so it made it fun. I knew I should have gone with UP for best original score, but I went out on a limb and went with Avatar. I also almost picked Hurt Locker for sound mixing, but wimped out and went with Avatar...cuz the same picture usually wins both mixing and editing. URRGHH!!! I'd like to see Crazy Heart, too. Tell us what you thought of the winners and show when you see it....'day late and dollar short boy'.

Asta..your weather gettin better? I'm only wearing one layer today...and it ain't fleece! Half my arm is showing...I feel naked.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Asta..your weather gettin better? I'm only wearing one layer today...and it ain't fleece! Half my arm is showing...I feel naked.
Mirage, Where are you??? Mid 50's right now and spotty showers here on the coast. But I did manage to get the lawn mowed. But I was wearing 2 sweatshirts at the time cuz the wind was really blowing too. Then I put some fertilizer on. Before that I had sprayed some weed killer because it wasn't supposed to rain today. I'm just hoping 2 hours had passed before the rain hit after I sprayed. Supposedly that's all Round Up needs in order to work. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

Tax season is in a lull so far as the week starts. Hoping to get some appointments for this week. Have some set up for next week and the following week, but none for this week so far. I'm pretty sure all my regulars will be back; it's just a matter of when.

Not much of a movie goer per se. We pretty much see them after they come out on DVD. My spouse is more of a movie fan than me. I like movies that come out with a happy ending and make you feel good while you watch them. Guess I'm a "Doris Day" type. NO, NO, PLEASE DON'T STONE ME!!! Oh, well. There has to be room for all types, right? RIGHT???????
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I'm in Michigan. Brrrr.....but it has been nice lately! Near 50! Unseasonably warm, I must say.

Oh yeah, there are room for all types. I'm a little like that, too, actually. I like character driven films for the most part.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I'm in Michigan. Brrrr.....but it has been nice lately! Near 50! Unseasonably warm, I must say.

Oh yeah, there are room for all types. I'm a little like that, too, actually. I like character driven films for the most part.
Mirage: It just goes to show how your blood adapts to your environment. There you are in Michigan at 50 degrees in summer attire basically and I'm here in Oregon in the mid-50's (granted with a strong wind) and 2 sweatshirts! Now if this would have been 5-6 years ago, I would have been in the middle of menopause & I would have been out there in a swimsuit probably!!

belligerant & toronto68 -- C'mon lets hear from you guys. What's going on? We gotta keep this thread going, right? Tytan & Mirage - you have to keep checking in. I TRY to check in every day. OK, maybe I miss a day now & then but if I do, I have a post on the "Whats for Dinner Thread" which is on the "Cafe Central" forum. Check it out if you haven't already. It's a lot of fun. GROUP HUG!!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hey guys… sorry I’ve been AWOL for a few days. I’ve had to work late since getting back home and what with the baby… I’ve been busy…
Oscar night/morning did not go as planned… Murphy’s Law has been messing me up. After finally seeing Avatar on Sunday, I set up my tivo to record the Oscars. I intended to get up at 5am and watch before going to work… before the news spoiled it for me (like last year). I got up at 5am… and noticed the tivo wasn’t recording. Apparently my tivo’s internal clock is set for US Pacific coast time… so, when I set it for Monday, 2am Serbian time… it didn’t really fly. Luckily the Oscars run long, so when I stopped crying I caught the last two awards live (Director and Picture).
After that, I set-up my tivo to record the rebroadcast at 11:30am on Armed Forces Network. But, after I went to work, my wife inadvertently turned off the VCR (which is my AFN tuner). So when I got home I had 5 hours of blue screen recorded and a very apologetic wife.
When I stopped crying, I realized the 7pm rebroadcast was about to start… so I quickly started recording. Then got dinner set-up and but the kids to bed. I thought… “hey, I’m going to have a do-over tomorrow morning… I’m going to do it the way I originally planned and get up at 5----“. Then the power went off.
I am still crying. But… I’m sober…
I don’t know what I’ve done to the Oscar gods… but I have to make amends before next year.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Tytan -- What a bummer!! After all that planning... You need to something extra special nice for yourself (or how about convincing your wife to do something extra special for you)??

Fortunately, it is not the end of the world as we know it. An you can find all the pictures you would ever want to see of everybody's "faaaabulous" gowns in the papers and on the web. I know, it's not the same.

Soon, this year's event will be just a faint memory and you will be prepping for next year. Doing your Friday night Oscar movie night thing and all. That sounds like a fun tradition. Popcorn with lots of butter. Mmmmm... Or maybe ice cream??
Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh. THREE attempts and still no show..that's unreal. Yes, the Oscar gods sound pissed.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Well, this Friday will be Golden Globe nominated "It's Complicated". My father-in-law said it was his favorite movie of the year (he is award season obsessed too). So, I've added it to our list even though it wasn't up for Oscars.

So... how many days have I been sober? Hmmmm.... 118 Days. I’ve almost made it one-third of a year! Nuts.

So, what does one sacrifice to win favor with the Oscar gods?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tytan View Post
So, what does one sacrifice to win favor with the Oscar gods?
Welllll.... I think you have to work your way back up again. Start with the Soap Opera awards, then the game show awards, then the Grammies, then the Country song awards, then the emmy's, then the obies (is that the off broadway awards?), then tony's, then FINALLY the OSCARS!!! YOU HAVE A LONG ROAD TO HOE! Get cracking!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Asta... I am impressed. You threw down the "Obies" like you've been in the theatre biz your whole life. Yep, you are correct... they are the Off Broadway awards... But I'm not sure they will be televised... and if so… I wonder it Armed Forces Network will air them. Lol!
I hope all is well this fine Thursday! I just got word today that I will be leaving Belgrade earlier than expected. I need to report to Pakistan at the end of July… rather than beginning October. Interesting turn of events for the day.
Til tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tytan View Post
Asta... I am impressed. You threw down the "Obies" like you've been in the theatre biz your whole life. Yep, you are correct... they are the Off Broadway awards... But I'm not sure they will be televised... and if so… I wonder it Armed Forces Network will air them. Lol!
I hope all is well this fine Thursday! I just got word today that I will be leaving Belgrade earlier than expected. I need to report to Pakistan at the end of July… rather than beginning October. Interesting turn of events for the day.
Til tomorrow.
Tytan--Did I not tell you I was a "The Nanny" fan? You can't watch that for a few years without picking up some Broadway and off-Broadway slang! In fact, I have only been to a few worthy live productions in my whole life. Saw Cats in SF. Didn't care for it. Saw Fiddler on the Roof in SF. Loved it. Saw another live production in SF that I can't remember the name of but was based on a black musician. Saw a production in Chicago many years ago that I don't think was Dream Girls but could have been but was based on the Supremes anyway. Would have loved to see the one based on Frankie Valli et al. Don't know how long we'll be living here on the Oregon coast. We are getting pretty tired of the persistent rain. We'll probably at least stay until I can start collecting Social Security in 2012.

So, Pakistan in July. Wow!! I take it the whole family is accompanying you? I hope you won't be stationed anywhere near the border. That could be really scary!! I guess just the fact of being stationed at the US Embassy is going to be really scary! How do you feel about that?

Mirage-Is your weather still holding? Our weather has turned back to winter. Can you believe it? Daylight savings time starts this Saturday night! And spring officially next Saturday. We had some nice days but its back to crapola here. Let's here from you!!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hmmm... I must rethink my opinion of The Nanny. Lol.

Nope, Pakistan is a solo assignment for me. One year, two home breaks for three weeks a pop... it's going to be a pretty rough year... but the mula is worth it. Instant nest egg. I have mixed feelings about it. But, I signed up to serve!

How is the rest of our merry band doing?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Wow..the obies..never heard of it! Can't imagine why they're not televised. har har.

Yep, our weather has been hangin in there, but we're gettin rain in the 40s this weekend. My oldest turns 11 on St. Patricks Day, so we're havin some boys over for a sleepover Sat. night. (Wish me luck). Tonight I'm considering taking them to see Alice in Wonderland..looks kinda cool...and I'm due for some real popcorn.

We just bought tickets to see Jerry Seinfeld do his stand up in April. That should be great...I pretty much laugh just seeing him chew gum. We're huge Seinfeld fans.

Pakistan, eh? Well, the sooner you go, the sooner you leave! There's one way to look at it...