Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Gettin number one son ready for camp! He leaves Tues for about a week. Need to get goin on that. Just doin the summer thing..no news.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

M - How old is #1 son? Did you go to camp as a kid? I NEVER did, not even once. We used to take a 2 week family vacation every year & go waterskiing, etc. in one of the Wisconsin lake resorts, but never went to camp. Never thought of sending my daughter to camp either until one of her stepmoms at the time was sending her kids and wanted my daughter to go to. After that she went about every other summer -- sometimes to horse camp, which she absolutely loved, or regular camp. When I was a kid, I SO... wanted a horse/pony. One of my grammar school classmates lived on acreage and in her spare time she would draw horses, and more horses. She really had it down. Her pictures were great. She dreamed of getting her own for years. I think it was finally in 7th or 8th grade when her parents bought her a colt. I saw tons of pics of it that she would bring but never got to see it live. Isn't that most kid's dream? To have their own horse? She did absolutely all the training for the young horse. It was her life and pride and joy.

Enough reminiscing. Having only one kid around for a week -- will that be more or less work for you? I can see it go either way! Did you see Tytan is leaving today for 3 months? Apparently to Pakistan. At least he gets a reprieve after 3 months. But going to Islamabad, is that scary or what???
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I’m back, as promised! After a very hectic “vacation” and training period, I am now in Pakistan. I just arrived about two hours ago. Believe it or not, the trip wasn’t too bad. I flew direct from DC to Doha, Qatar (12.5 hours)… a flight I was dreading because I almost never sleep on flights… at least nothing substantial. I watched “Date Night” (which was awesome)e) and then about the first hour of a movie called “The Ghost Writer” (which is shippable). An hour in I fell asleep. I have no idea how long I was out, but after I woke up, I only had time to finish “The Ghost Writer” and watch the first two-thirds of “Shutter Island” (also shippable). So, I must have been out for at least 6 to 7 hours.

Anyway, I had a good meal in Doha (Lamb stew and veggie sommosas) during my three hour layover, and then I was off to Pakistan. Onboard I finished Shutter Island and then watched “Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief”, which I really enjoyed, but I’m a huge Harry Potter buff too… so, that was nice. Then I landed, when through passport control, got my bags, and I’m not just chilling out. It was after 4am when I arrived and I have to start work at 8am… so I haven’t bothered to sleep.

So, all and all, things are good. The airport goodbyes were pretty rough tough. The rest of the fam left for Belgrade 30 minutes before me on the same concourse. The wife totally lost it. And my oldest was such a trooper. When the time came, he just wanted hugs. As they went through the line to check in, I swung around to the side of the ropes to wave as they went past. “Daddy, I need another hug.” While giving him a hug I told me, “You’re the best thing that has ever happened to me”… he tightened his hug and said, “I love you so much daddy.”

This is all so bitter sweet. As my wife said, we agreed to do this when we didn’t want to be together… now we do… we’re not… however, it’s the nest egg we need for rest of our life.

Anyway, it’s good to be back! I’ll talk to you all tomorrow!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Darn, You made me tear up. Now I've got mascara/eyeliner black eyes!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you made it there safely, T! Goodbyes suck. Just think...this'll be a blip on the radar someday.

Yeah, I went to camp for a week twice, Asta. It was ok. He's ALL about it, tho. (He's 11)..going into 6th grade. Real independent and outdoorsy..eats this stuff up. My goodbye was a bit rough, too and it's only for a week! Haha. But when ya got a little one blowin ya kisses out the back window of a bus that's gonna take him 3 1/2 hours away, it's definitely weird. I'm with these boys so much. Easier w/out him, I think. Quieter already..my 8 yr old is very low maintenance. Speakin a which, gotta go put the wubber in bed.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

So, how is it going with everyone? What I have missed?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Pretty boring on this end. As they say, same-o same-o. You are the one with the exciting life T. :-)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Wow, not much traffic since my last posts. Sorry I went MIA again. The day after my last post I moved out of my Temp apartment and into my real apartment… which didn’t have internet… for almost three weeks… ERG! Pakistani customer service isn’t very helpful. It took about a week and a half to get the company to give me a contact to sign… and then over a week to get them to send a crew to wire the house… I was told they would call to coordinate… but apparently that means calling customers at 9:30am and saying, “we’ll be there in 30 minutes”… I was already at work. Frantically I called my housekeeper… (don’t think bad of me, I’m contributing to the Pakistani economy!) , and he raced over to my house and met the workers.
Now… for tools… I can only assume they have an eyeglass repair kit… because the installation took 3 DAYS! All they did was run a cable from the street, ran it into my house, and hooked up my TV and a wireless router. 3 DAYS! And I’m not talking three days in a row! I’m talking a Friday, Monday, and Thursday! I couldn’t believe it. And get this… they didn’t even FINISH!
Get this, I share a house with another guy, he has the top floor, I have the bottom (they are separate apartments in the house… we don’t share space). BUT, they were supposed to give me two TV connections and internet… and they were supposed to give the other guy one TV connection and internet. After three days they finished only one of my TV’s and my internet… which was totally awesome… but then they disappeared… it took another week to get someone on the phone to finish the job… and when I did they thought the installation was complete…finally I got my point across and they came to finish the job… and it took them two more days of work to complete it.
Maddening!
But, now I’m back on line and a lot let cut off from the world… and much happier.
I hope everyone is well! Hope to talk to you soon!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hi T-- I would imagine you were expecting some problems, right? It's not exactly NYC. Sounds more like the remote Oregon coast where I live!! Hey, at least you have one TV. Aren't the Emmys on tonight? If not tonite, soon, as I have been seeing stuff in the paper about the nominees. Jane Lynch was nominated for Glee. I agree she has an interesting role, but it's a little too one-dimensional for an Emmy it seems. (Exception: the episode when it's revealed she has a mentally handicapped sister. That was pretty touching I thought.) Anyway, if I cant' catch it live, I'll record it.

Hope the food is agreeing with you. Take care.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi Asta!
Well, Pakistan is definitely something. And that something is certainly not NYC. Islamabad is strange though because it’s actually a pretty nice looking city. Parts of it are very urban… and cleaner than Belgrade. And other parts are huge refugee camps. Or military camps. A lot of people who work in Islamabad are actually from villages 6 to 8 hours away… so most people work 7 days a week and then take 4 or so days off each month to go home. However, these guys aren’t maintaining two residences… they usually pitch tents where they work. So… tucked away in the tree line in various places you’ll see a camp site… it is all very strange.
The poverty is pretty weird too… and I am even more surprised by my reaction to it. I must be getting jaded. Sure, the poverty is hard to see… it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen before. However, this is how people live here. This is what they grew up knowing. I don’t really get over come by what I’m seeing because it’s not like the people understand what their missing.
Anyway… it’s an adventure.
I didn’t get to see the Emmy’s but I looked up the results. Jim Parsons! Holy smokes! That win was HUGE! I thought he was the least likely in the group. Alec and Tony we’re the Emmy Favorites… but Steve and Larry had been nominated 3 or 4 times and never won. If someone knew was going to get it this year I really though Steve or Larry would win. I really did. Also, it’s been a LONG time since the Emmy’s have honored a traditional studio audience sitcom… something like 6 years for Best Actor.
As for Jane, I was pretty certain she would win. I understand how you may think her character is one dimensional… however, it the little twinges of humanity and feelings that she lets through… sometimes just a vulnerability behind her eyes that makes her performance brilliant. Scenes with her sister… when she fell for the news anchor… and of course, the finale was awesome. I could see in her eye how protective she got when Josh Grobin and Olivia Newton John started talking smack. Plus, Jane Lynch has been around forever, she’s probably worked with everyone in the audience. She finally has a roll to showcase her talents.
Take care!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

I missed the Emmys yesterday. It was on at 5 pm PDT, and I just assumed it would be in prime time. I was really happy that Jim Parsons won. His brilliance in memorizing all that dialogue in itself warranted it. He is a natural comedian.

Are you affected at all by all the flooding? I see all the displaced people and the conditions they are living in (not even close to how bad reality is I'm sure) and it is so sad. Really makes one appreciate some of the little things we take for granted -- ESPECIALLY safe drinking water.

Are Pakistanis alcohol abstainers for the most part? If so, is it a religion thing? How are you dealing with the cuisine there? Can you find food that is in your comfort zone?

Stay safe!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

No, I’m not really affected by the flooding… although when it rains here it’s nasty. VERY nasty. And streets flood a big… but ultimately the streets drain. We have a ton of folks coming to work with the aid effort. It’s pretty crazy.
For the most part Pakistan is a dry county… because most of the country is Muslim. However, there is a brewery here… and Christians are allowed to buy and have. But it is illegal to sell to Muslims. I don’t really have a wining and dining position, but I hear the Muslim Pakistani’s who attend diplomatic events (when Muslim women are not around) will drink.
Food is pretty easy… lots of rice… lots of curries… I’m a pretty adventurous eater, so I’m just fine. Shortly after I got here I found an Organic produce coop… they deliver fresh cleaned fruits, veggies, herbs, and eggs to my house every week. This service is GREAT because grocery shopping is a bit of a challenge. The service is pretty cheap too. $64 per month… and it’s more than I can eat… I share a lot with my guards. I like to keep them happy.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thread continues here! :
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...up-pt-3-a.html

D