Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

I also pick up some of this weird info from doing crossword puzzles. Like the Edgars are the awards for mystery writers. Who knew that???

Mirage, I sooo envy you seeing Seinfeld live. I hope you get a decent seat. Of course they may have those large screens anyway. I half watch/listen to the repeats on TBS in my office most every day as background "white noise." (Tytan: I AM A TV ADDICT!!!)

Well, guess I'll sign off for tonight. Did I tell you all that I'm reading a book called Buddhism for Dummies? I'm plowing through it slowing, but it's quite interesting. I just have a hard time getting thru too many pages at a time.

Sweet dreams all!!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Did you here about Conan O'Brien's national tour? 30 cities! I might make it home for one.
Buddhism for Dummies? I have a bunch of book about Baha'i that I've been meaning to read... Once this whole grad school thing is over I think I'll take the time to finally read them... I took a class in college about Buddhism and read the Dali Lama's autobiography. He's a fascinating guy.

What do you think so far?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I pretty much convinced myself there was no god during my teen and young adult life, reinforced by my college years. Buddhism is a middle road. There is no higher power. It is you. Your mind. From what I can tell so far. That is something I can believe in. I really need to keep reading and keep learning. This really may be the "path" for me. It's hard sometimes being an atheist / agnostic but I just can't buy into Christianity or any or the other religions based on a "god". Long story short, I'm fascinated from what I've read so far. The book is from a historical perspective so I'm going thru the years! It's interesting to see the names in SR that are based on names from the book. Ananda for example.

I didn't hear about Conan's tour. I'm not a late night talk show fan. Did I not tell you I watch "The Nanny" late night????? Aren't you listening to me??? LOL!!!!

I wish the community college here offered a class on Buddhism. It would make the learning process a lot faster. But, hey, I'm a woman in the "prime?" of life, got lots of time to learn new stuff.

So Mirage, are you getting prepared for the St. Pats. birthday party? When my daughter was your sons age, I was still drinking plenty of wine each night. We had some slumber parties. But after midnight, I took my glass of wine into the bedroom and shut the door and hoped for the best. If I didn't hear any screaming or pounding on the door, I figured everyone was fine. No fun cleaning up the next day, but that what slumber parties are all about. Making a huge mess!!

Tytan, Do you think you are going to have a hard time with the AF thing in Pakistan? I am involved now in a program which uses anti craving drugs and supplements up the wing/wang. Check out MyWayOut if you are interested. I just started last week. Let me know & PM me if you have any questions about the program or the products. I would think being abroad for a year alone would be very challenging. No matter what, I am going to worry about you!!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Asta, I'm currently in the throws of the party! We took the boys up to an arcade type place to play games, picked up pizza on the way home, just had the cake, and now they're playing downstairs. It's going well...a nice group of boys. Hopefully they'll be tired nice group of boys and I can get to sleep at a decent hour. I'm thinkin lights out at 11:00...that's reasonable. :rotfxko

I struggle with the religion thing, too. I wasn't brought up with any, so I've been an agnostic all my life..but sometimes I do feel like having a spiritual side would be really nice. I'm a bit empty there...off balance. Not sure what the answer is..I can't just believe in something for the sake of believing, ya know? I've been trying the last couple years to be more open to it, and I'm definitely more accepting of the whole idea..but I haven't had any kind of a "road to Damascus moment", as it were. Sometimes I wish I would...even if I'm wrong in the end.

I heard about Conan..he's not stopping in Detroit, though.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I pretty much convinced myself there was no god during my teen and young adult life, reinforced by my college years. Buddhism is a middle road. There is no higher power. It is you. Your mind. From what I can tell so far. That is something I can believe in. I really need to keep reading and keep learning. This really may be the "path" for me. It's hard sometimes being an atheist / agnostic but I just can't buy into Christianity or any or the other religions based on a "god". Long story short, I'm fascinated from what I've read so far. The book is from a historical perspective so I'm going thru the years! It's interesting to see the names in SR that are based on names from the book. Ananda for example.

I didn't hear about Conan's tour. I'm not a late night talk show fan. Did I not tell you I watch "The Nanny" late night????? Aren't you listening to me??? LOL!!!!

I wish the community college here offered a class on Buddhism. It would make the learning process a lot faster. But, hey, I'm a woman in the "prime?" of life, got lots of time to learn new stuff.

So Mirage, are you getting prepared for the St. Pats. birthday party? When my daughter was your sons age, I was still drinking plenty of wine each night. We had some slumber parties. But after midnight, I took my glass of wine into the bedroom and shut the door and hoped for the best. If I didn't hear any screaming or pounding on the door, I figured everyone was fine. No fun cleaning up the next day, but that what slumber parties are all about. Making a huge mess!!

Tytan, Do you think you are going to have a hard time with the AF thing in Pakistan? I am involved now in a program which uses anti craving drugs and supplements up the wing/wang. Check out MyWayOut if you are interested. I just started last week. Let me know & PM me if you have any questions about the program or the products. I would think being abroad for a year alone would be very challenging. No matter what, I am going to worry about you!!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

I knew if we stuck to it we’d come around to another deep topic. Ah religion… where have you been all my life. The existence of God is one that I struggle with… I really like the idea of a higher power, but who knows what’s real and what’s not. I also think it’s important to instill strong values on my boys… and concept of God makes that easy… my struggle is in the concept of organized religion.
My upbringing was pretty different, so it sounds, than you guys. I grew up in a very Catholic household. My mom was in a convent for a while. My brother is uber-Catholic. Growing up I was pretty involved with the church… but as I grew up I started seeing just how judgmental people were. I think I am too practical… and when I noticed people not practicing what they preach it was a real turn off. Catholic’s like to call themselves the “one true religion”… that didn’t sit well with me. I started looking at other Christian religions… and I found them all to be defensive rather than loving… and all of which also claim to be the true belief... and for the most part, they are even more obsessed with being “right” than the Catholics. Every denomination seems to claim they are correct and everyone else is wrong. To me… this seems to defeat the purpose of religion and the concept of God. At least to me. I don’t think God really cares who is right… only that people are loving and just. That said, I have a real problem with Christianity.
My wife is from the opposite upbringing. Unity… which to me is like going to a Tony Robbins motivational speaking convention… it was a turn off too. However, the one thing my wife and I agree on is finding some sort of middle road… we’re not really sure about God, but we believe in spirituality… and want to give our boys a foundation in that… what they do with it is up to them.
Fundamentally, we believe in the idea that, if there is a God, it could have show itself to cultures in many different ways. Now… all of these cultures have met each other and we’re fighting over who honors the same entity the best. It’s pretty ridiculous. If you ask me… this concept seems pretty cut and dry to us… although my family and others deeply rooted in their own religion can’t seem to wrap their head around the idea. Then again my wife and I also recognize the possibility of Creationism and Darwinism being the same thing… but for some reason people enjoy fighting over this as well. To me, science does not take away the idea of God.
Anyway, before leaving the States we started going to a Unitarian Universalist church. However, the main purpose of the UU’s (which they call themselves) is to support each other on whatever spiritual journey they are on as individuals… UU’s are wonderful… but they have no real foundation for sculpting the spiritual beliefs of children other than being accepting. Which is also great… but we needed more.
Completely on accident while in a discussion with some friends about religion one mentioned that we sounded like we were Baha’i. Frankly, I had no idea what Baha’I was at the time… but I’ve done so research and honestly, their baseline fundamentals is almost exactly what my wife and I believe… so we’re exploring it. It’s pretty fascinating… but officially changing your religion is a very difficult thing to wrap your head around. The one plus is that the Baha’I don’t drink. Lol.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Yeah… Pakistan is going to be hard. I’ll be there for a year. But, I have to say… I haven’t had any craving for booze. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a beer… but then I quickly weight the probably outcome.
First… I know that I will want more than one beer… I’ll probably want 12. So… why open the door?
Second… since drinking, my wife and I have repaired 99.9% of our marriage problems. Even working through what I’ve done. I look at her with such love and awe… when I was drinking I only saw her faults and I was filled with distain. Last night we went out to celebrate our 5 year anniversary… and she looked so stunning sitting across the table from me. I couldn’t help but think how lucky I am. We’re starting to make long term plans together… like retirement and having another baby in a couple years. I have woken up sober and in the marriage I always dreamed of having. And my wife now tells me that she loves me on a regular basis and I can tell that she means it. I love being around her… I no longer dread going home and I no longer desire to go out for drinks after work. She is remarkable… she has accepted me for all of my faults… and I don’t want to do anything, like drink, that would cloud the feels I now have for her.
Third, I’m sleeping. I’ve started going to bed early with my wife, rather than staying up getting more and more drunk. And in turn I’ve started getting up earlier… I’m almost a morning person now… and I kind of like it
Fourth, I’ve lost a ton of weight… in just these 100+ days… and by only cutting out booze I’ve lost almost 20 pounds. I’m almost back to my college graduation weight… and my wife commented last night that I am slimmer than we first met. She says I look healthier… and honestly I feel healthier.
You know? Pakistan is going to be hard… I have no doubt about that… but I’ve seen the fruits of my lifestyle change. I want to come back from my year away an every stronger man for my wife and boys. I’ll still need you guys and SR to keep me focused… but when I weigh my options… why in the world would I want to start drinking again?
Also, Pakistan will be a fresh start with fresh friends… I’ll look up the non-drinkers and the folks who like to work out… I want to use my time there productively. Get healthy, write my first book, and watch TV… lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I'd heard the term Baha'i thrown around in connection with Buddhism but it's not even close is it? I did a quick read on the web this morn and like the universalism concept of the whole thing, but the god thing still bugs me and the fact that it is a religion. Buddhism really isn't a religion, per se. We'll have to continue this more after I have learned more about both topics if that's OK with you.

Mirage, You sound a lot like me spiritually. If you have a quiet moment, do a little light reading about Buddhism. You, like me, might be surprised. Also, look what Baha'i has to offer. Wouldn't hurt just to see what's out there. Buddhism is one of the oldest non-religions/spiritual things out there and Baha'i one of the newest.

Hope you recovered OK from the party!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Asta,
Yeah, Buddhism and Baha’i are not very similar. Except for the fact that Baha’i considers Buddha to be one of the key prophets who were close to God (I have no other way to describe this), like Mohammad, Jesus, even Joseph Smith. In short, Baha’i recognizes the validity of all prophets who led to founding of a world religion. From my previous studies, I would say that Buddhism is definitely a religion, although it’s God concept is very different. I’m going to use different terminology, but in short, they really focus on the idea that God is inside each of us. And to be close to God is to become more like God on the inside… Nirvana. They don’t call this thing “God” so for a lot of people who struggle with the idea of God, it’s easier.
But, most religions call us to be more like God, so in that respect it’s similar… and Buddhism has a creation myth and concept of afterlife… which are also key components for a religion.
However, in my experience Buddhism is very adaptable. There are quite a few exchange programs between Catholic and Buddhist Monks. From a Catholic perspective, the Buddhists have perfected the art of meditation and prayer. To become more open to God’s word, at least that’s the Catholic perspective. The Buddists don’t really care. Since they also have a pretty universalist approach they just want to teach people to meditate… what you meditate on is up to the individual.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

"Ain't Misbehaving." That was the live production I was trying to think of few posts ago. I think it was really a big jumping off point for Nell Carter. She was spectacular in it. Did anyone else get a chance to see? I'm sure it's not running anywhere by now.

After watching the Oscars, I really would like to see "Precious", just give me thumbs up or down if you've it. I hate to have endings ruined.

I have one new confirmed client this week and one almost 90% confirmed. I think I'm getting some fall out from a CPA and his wife who abruptly left town for New Mexico last year! Didn't sent out explanatory letters or anything. How unprofessional is that? Apparently no can find his new address to ream him out. His wife was an insurance broker as well doing taxes. I don't think we'll ever see them in this area any time soon.

Have a good evening all..
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Wow… Nell Carter. You know? I grew up when her television shows were on. I never really got into them… my parents were funny about her, they didn’t dislike her… they just didn’t understand her appeal. Year later as I was getting into acting I watched the movie version of “Hair”… BAM! There she was, Nell Carter singing “White Boys are Delicious”… I was like, wow… Nell Carter was in Hair? I started researching her quite a bit. Her stage career was amazing. So much more dynamic than her TV career. She’s a classic talent in my books. Although, I still haven’t seen, “Ain’t Misbehaving”.
As for Precious. It’s one of my top two movies of the year. Precious and The Hurt Locker. Mo’Nique and Gabe are absolutely amazing in this movie. In fact… being the opinionated Oscar statistician that I am, I looked up all of the historical best supporting actress winners… and this will sound bold. But I think Mo’Nique’s performance in Precious is the best supporting actress performance of all time. She is simply remarkable.
No spoilers, but it’s a hard movie to watch. But it’s a movie that you’ll end up thinking about for days after see it and it will grow on you. Two very huge thumbs up for Precious. See it! And let me know what you think!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Top o' the mornin to ya..and Happy St. Pats day. Kiddo's bday today...we're going out to dinner with his grandparents and my bro and sil tonight.

I never saw Precious..it was one of those I was putting off cuz of what Tytan said about it being tough to watch. Sometimes I'm wimpy about movies..especially when kids are treated poorly. Yuck. I'm sure it was good..maybe I'll rent it. Nope..never saw Ain't Misbehavin, either!

Only Tytan would have so much to say about Nell Carter. Lol! It struck me funny because of the obscurity.

Enjoy your day!

(Aw..no St. Pat's smilies..all I could find is a green egg..pretend those gold things are pieces of gold.)
Old 03-17-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Lol.
Mirage, obscurity is my middle name. When my wife first met me I was an avid bar team trivia player… I played at a couple venues, sometimes 5 days a week… the gift certificates paid for my dinner and beer most nights. My wife admitted my retention of random facts and figures was strangely attractive. Lol.
But, hey! Neal Cater is the bomb!
Yeah, Precious is tough, but the movie does something really amazing. And, this isn’t a major storytelling element so don’t worry about spoilers, but when ever bad things happen to Precious she retreats into a fantasy world where she is some kind of celebrity or movie star who is loved by the whole world. I’m pretty sure it’s an element from the book. What’s great about this, is the movie is able to relieve the audience from having to watch long uncomfortable rape and abuse scenes. Sure, you’ll know what is year going on… but visually you get to watch Precious’s image of herself… which sadly doesn’t match her real life.
I would rent it.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

So Tytan, is this a one, two or three kleenexer? I just need to know how much ice to have on hand to pack on my eyes.

My business has really picked up this week. Old clients and new clients have been ringing the phone off the wall (course my phone isn't on the wall, but whatever). It promises to be a good tax season. I may have to revise my leaving the OR coast from 2012 to sometime later if I can make this kind of money and collect SS. Guess I'll wait and see.

Hey Mirage- Do you work at a job - part time or otherwise? You don't talk much about yourself except for your kids. What's goin on with you? Of course the possibility is you already told that stuff and I totally missed it, but please tell it again.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

I don’t know Asta, Precious isn’t really a tear jerker. It’s been accused of being so, but I would say 0 – 1 box depending on you.
Erg.
Vent.
Okay, I had a very annoying day yesterday. I had to work late and didn’t get home until about 7-ish. Got, home to no dinner, which isn’t a big deal… if you haven’t figured it out, Tytan isn’t a dinner must be on the table kind of guy… my wife said we could eat after we get our oldest to bed… we do this a lot when I work late. So, I got him settled, in bed, books, story… 8pm passes… he hasn’t fallen asleep. Turns out my wife kept him home yesterday to have a neighborhood fieldtrip with some friends… which ended with my entire family taking a two hour nap… from 2pm – 4pm… I understand the need for naps… but a nap this late for a 4 year old who doesn’t take naps any more is death. Also, when I hit the point of no return (hunger-wise)… I start to go a little crazy.
At around 8:15 my wife came in to relive me… the baby was asleep… at least until I got to the kitchen. 8:30… 8:45… my wife reappears, takes the baby, and told me to go heat up my food. I went to look at what she put out for me. A half a bowl of chili. I ate it in like two second… and it didn’t satisfy my appetite… so I started scrounging around the kitchen. Nothing, we didn’t have anything… except a piece of froze Tyson chicken. I preheated the oven… 30 minutes later… I got some more food.
Plus, our 4 year old never went to bed, my wife set him up in our room to watch tv instead of getting him to sleep. And went to bed with him before my chicken was done because she didn’t like my attitude… I didn’t say anything, she asked what was wrong, “I’m sorry, I just really hungry”… “you’re obviously not starving, you just ate the chili.” Erg.
When I finished eating I gave up on the day… only to find my entire family sleeping in our bed… with no space for me… so I slept in the guest room.
I’m very annoyed at yesterday. I park my car everyday in a supermarket parking lot. If there was an issue with dinner I would be more than happy to pick something up on the way home. At least that’s a plan. I ate lunch yesterday at 11:30am… waiting until 9 or 9:30 for dinner is pretty absurd. If it’s a “defend for yourself night,” is asking for a heads up too much?
I know, I know… don’t hate on the Tytan… she’s got two kids to worry about… it was just a rough day from beginning to end. I just want to call in sick.
Talk to you tomorrow!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

How about thinking of it as a "diet day"? Not that I have similar problems as you since I usually do most of the cooking, but I always have a couple of boxes of protein/granola bars/ whatever looks good stashed in the house where the husband won't find them and snarf them down. Yknow, like places where I used to hide liquor? Anyway, they are great for a nutritious snack, and 2 or 3 of them can even feel like a half of a meal. Maybe keep them in your car. They have some really tasty ones out there. I like the ones that have nuts and are kinda salty and sweet.

Anyway, beats downing a bag of potato chips or candy bars!

Tomorrow will be better. Do you have food delivery where you live? We don't. But we do have take out. But delivery is so much easier.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:03 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Well, yesterday was better, except for leaving the SR window up on my computer when I left for work… my wife saw my venting post. She wasn’t happy. But I told her it was an accident and that it wasn’t fair to hold a grudge for venting to my SR friends… that’s what they are there for. “Would you rather me vent on SR? Or say something that would normally start a fight?” Which is what I probably would have done when I was drinking. In the end she was cool… but told me not to leave the window up again.
Anyway, two cool things from yesterday.
First, my thesis was accepted yesterday. I got 81.65 points out of 90. For those doing the math, that’s around a 91% (an “A”). So all of my stressing was for not. Today I have my Oral Defense of the paper via Skype. I am guaranteed a “B” or an “A”, depending on how the remaining 10 points are awarded. I am super excited to get it over with. My wife and I are planning our first Bar-BQ of the season tomorrow to celebrate my graduation and the first day of spring! Hurray!
Second, we watched Crazy Heart last night. It was really great. And really refreshing. It is a very simple movie about recovery and redemption. Jeff Bridges is amazing and without spoiling anything… it’s a must see for everyone in recovery. It was beautiful. I don’t want to talk about it anymore until some of you get the chance to see it.
Let me know!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Tytan-Way to go on the thesis! I really want to see Crazy Heart too. But I have a lot more patience than you. I can see it a year from now & it wouldn't bother me.

My working hours are extending to after dinner now too and it's getting tiresome. But I've got to keep momentum going. I've got a lot of continuing clients that haven't called yet. I'm pretty sure they will and time keeps marching on. Plus with the one CPA that skipped town for New Mexico I'm getting some fallout from his old clients. But I keep telling myself, only a few more weeks, only a few more weeks. Guess I'll brush my teeth etc. Have a nice day tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Asta..glad to hear business is good! Wish I could say the same for the hubby's business..he's been very stressed which translates into being not so plugged in at home, if you know what I mean. I've been feeling a bit lonely lately..not good.

I've been wanting to see Crazy Heart, too. I'll rent it when it comes out.

Oooh, sorry she saw your post, Tytan. Sure, I understand your frustration..we're all entitled to that sometimes. You don't have to apologize for feeling that way cuz she's home with the kids. Yes, that is hard, too...but so is going out and making a living every day. My husband usually calls on his way home asking about dinner, and if I don't have anything going, he'll often pick something up. So yeah, having a head's up is a good thing.

Asta..I was a teacher before I had my first boy. I've been home for (gulp) 11 years now. I have substituted a bit this year, but not a lot. This is actually part of my problem..too much time/boredom. I know how to solve it, but I haven't..any job I get, I would have to quit for the summer to be home with the boys. And after you've been home for that amount of time, your confidence tends to go out the window. I'm a little lost right now in regards to that. It's a little scary to have my kids grow and not need me as much, and not know what comes next for me..and over time I've become a little intimidated by the whole workforce thing. I know, it's stupid. I appreciate you asking..thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Well folks. The thesis defense was very strange… since it never happened. I created a ********** to accompany the defense and sent it to her Friday afternoon. Yesterday, about an hour and a half before my scheduled conference call, I logged onto my email and found an email from my professor. She cancelled all defenses for everyone, “due to unforeseen circumstances on campus.” She also noted that should wouldn’t be scheduling make-ups and no one would be penalized as long as they send her a ********** of their presentation by the 27th.
So… I guess I’m a Graduate School Graduate now… and I got an “A”! After all the drama… it’s all over.
I threw a big first day of Spring and Graduation party Bar-BQ today. It was really nice. Lots of food and booze for my friends… just food for me!  I feel good. Not desire to drink. I don’t think my wife had anything either… and we’re already talking about who to give our left over booze too. It’s amazing. I’ve been on my feet all day and I feel great.
Whelp, it’s time to put my oldest to bed and then an American Idol marathon with the wife!
Talk to you all tomorrow!