Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Thanks Miirage! I learn so much here. Before you know it, I'll be texting on my cell phone! LOL! Of course, here I have to go out into the street to get a signal, but those are the sacrifices one sometimes makes.

Well, I'm off to change the kitty litter. Wonderful job, but kittys appreciate it, and SO DO I. Have a good Sunday/Valentine's day everyone.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Day 96!
Ahhh... do you hear that? Silence. Glorious silence. My mother-in-law is in the air and on her way home. I love my mother-in-law, she is great... at least her heart is in the right place... but she is always so frantic all the time. When she left her drunk of a second husband, we took her in for about six months, prior to us moving overseas… those six months have given me a free pass to heaven. Lol. But seriously, frantic, frantic, frantic… she makes decisions for people about food… and TV… and everything to a comical degree.
Example, at our 4 year olds birthday lunch, she read the menu, “Oh, calamari, do you guys like calamari? Mmmm… Calamari, calamari, calamari… why don’t we order a bunch of things we can all share like the calamari and the brochette… blah, blah blah.” I know, I know… getting a bunch of starters for everyone to share is a great idea. Right? Well, my mother-in-law took the birthday boy to the bathroom just when the waiter comes to take our order. We order the brochette and the calamari for her and since we wanted something else to eat, my wife and I ordered meals for ourselves. When the food arrived my mother-in-law just wouldn’t stop talking about the calamari, moving the plate over to our side of the table, telling us we had to try it… but… we had our own food to eat. Finally my wife said… “Mom… don’t YOU want to eat the calamari?” My mother-in-law: “Who? Me? No, no, no, I don’t like calamari, I can’t stand the stuff. I got it for you guys… you said you liked calamari, I got it for you guys.” She got it for us… although neither my wife nor I ever mentioned wanting to order it for ourselves… or even brought it up in the first place. Plus, I paid for lunch… so the idea of ordering random dishes for people when you’re not paying is lost on me.
Anyway… that is a glimpse of my last 8 days. She also did this at a sandwich shop two days ago… I chose the sandwich I wanted… but she thought I would like a different sandwich better… when my wife said, “I’m sure Tytan knows which sandwich he wants to eat”, she said, “oh, well… I’ll just get this one too just in case. At least that time she treated for lunch… and I had to eat two sandwiches to be polite.
Anyway, I don’t mean to talk trash… she really is a sweet woman and great with our kids… I just wish she could chill out more.
Anyway, I’ll talk to you guys tomorrow…!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Oh yeah! The TV story! It’s a lot like the food story… in the fact my M-in-L is obsessed with please people. One night my wife and the boys went to bed… I stayed up to work on my paper a bit… and my m-in-l… well, she gets herself so worked up every night that she doesn’t sleep. Anyway, she asks me if she could turn on the TV. Not a problem… I had headphones on anyway to help me focus on writing… so, I turned on the TV and since the remote is a little tricky, I set-up everything to make it easy for her… but when I went to give her the remote, she refused to take it. “No, you pick what you want to watch.” “But, you’re the one who wants to watch TV? You can just surf around and check out British tv.” “Oh, no, I wouldn’t know what to look for, you just pick what you want to watch.” In a very nice tone I looked at my m-in-l, and said, “then I would probably just turn off the TV, because I am working on some school work right now, but if you would like to watch TV, you’ve more than welcome to channel surf.”
Okay… I think I am decompressing. Ahhh… it’s so quiet.
Anyway, I’m back to work tomorrow… and I am not looking forward to that.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tytan View Post
Day 96!
Mmmm… Calamari, calamari, calamari… why don’t we order a bunch of things we can all share like the calamari and the brochette… blah, blah blah.” I know, ... We order the brochette and the calamari for her and since we wanted something else to eat, my wife and I ordered meals for ourselves. When the food arrived my mother-in-law just wouldn’t stop talking about the calamari, My mother-in-law: “Who? Me? No, no, no, I don’t like calamari, I can’t stand the stuff. I got it for you guys… you said you liked calamari, I got it for you guys.”...
Gosh, Wish I would have been there. I love calamari!! I don't have a M-I-L any more or F-I-L for that matter. But I do know my OWN mother drives me crazy after 3 days!

Glad you have your house back. Now I've got to go get some deep fried calamari somewhere.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

LOL!! Oh, that's hilarious. She's a live wire, that one! Great stories.

Squid..
Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

So Mirage-What have you been up to lately besides so-so movies? I take it you don't care for calamari either? Looks like you are an Olympics watcher, yes? I like to watch for a while but get bored after a while too. Since I'm a Swede by birth I root for the Swedes and the USA only.

There's been an "I Love Lucy" marathon on Hallmark channel that I've had on as background noise while I've been working on tax returns today. I've seen all the episodes so many times they really don't provide a distraction. I just like the background noise. In fact, I brought up my daughter as a toddler on I Love Lucy (Tytan, take note.) Have a nice night all.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Day 96.

Back to work! Oh the horror!

Do you guys remember Mike Meyer's SNL character "Linda Richmand, Coffee Talk"? The character is complete based on his mother-in-law... he lifted actual conversations with her as material. Hmmm... time for a career change. Lol.

I hope all is well! I miss US coverage of Olympics. The Brits follow different winter sports... very little figure skating... and a ton of ski jumping.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Ah, well the Brits are known for their love of ski jumping. (note the sarcasm) Yes, I remember Linda (great name...it's like buttah.)

Well Asta...lately I've been a little obsessed with leveling up on a facebook game called Farmtown. You build a farm..buy stuff..plant crops..hire other people on line to harvest and plow, etc. I know..it sounds stupid..but once you get going, you want to level up to buy cool stuff. And it's interactive, so you're chatting with others while playing. I have a friend who I'm helping level up right now, as I maxed out the other day. I'm one of those who spend too much time on facebook.

I've seen 5 of the 10 Oscar nomed pictures. Busy movie season for me..I try to see as many as I can before the award ceremony. (I think I've said this before..deja vu.) Other than that..the boys are home this week on mid-winter break, so we've got some "play dates" scheduled. My bro's bday today, so we're getting together tonight for dinner with them and my 'rents. Applebees. I think I'm safe from calamari there. (I don't do any kind of seafood really..so I've nothing against squid specifically..just an overall distaste (pun) for the ocean dwelling creatures.)

Yep, watchin the Vancouver games. I almost feel like I have to, as they only come around every 4 years, but I do like it. Got stuck having to see how pair skating turned out last night. Kept me up till midnight. There were people fallin all over the place!! At first I felt horrible for them..then it got kinda FUN! I know..I'm sick. Can't...stop...watching....
Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Oh and have a great day, everyone!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Day 97.
Sorry folks. I'm going to sign off for a few days. Life is good, but we have a full house again. This time 4 extra bodys and zero privacy. I'll be back on Sunday. Until then, take care every one !!!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Tytan-Not even going to ask where the 4 "bodies" came from and if they are breathing or not!

Hang in there. It will be over soon. I'm getting more immersed in tax returns every day,
Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

I haven't been around much lately. No real reason...just not into the internet lately. I still haven't drank - yay!

This weekend I'll take some time to really touch base. It is great to read your posts.

Happy weekend everyone
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Looks like I'll be working all weekend. I have quite a back log of returns already. That's good from a cash flow perspective but the weather is FINALLY getting nice. At least I can see the sunshine from my window.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Sun shining here, too, for a change! Good luck with all that work, Asta! Good to see you Spryte! Have a great weekend all.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Mirage & Spryte: Good to hear from you guys! I helped my husband with a menu and grocery list for next week and sent him off grocery shopping by himself so I could work. Looks like he came back with pretty much the right stuff as I did the putting away. (Can't rely on him for TOO MUCH or I'll never find anything ever again.) And, as I write this he is making a pizza. Not a dolled up frozen pizza like I usually do, but he bought a tube of Pillsbury pizza dough and a jar of sauce. The rest of the stuff we had in the fridge, cupboard or freezer. It got to be about 5 and I asked if he had planned about thawing the sausage, etc from the freeze, and reading the instructions for the dough, and maybe precooking the veggies a little bit (I think the mushrooms turn out better if you saute them a bit first). Anyway, he is busy in the kitchen. I put the last tax return away (I think) for the day that I will work on. I'm at a stopping point and have a call in to the client for some answers. I could start on another by just doing some mindless copying of documents while waiting for pizza to be done. That's a good idea. I'll check out new posts and dinner posts and then start copying if dinner isn't done. We have an "action" netflix movie for tonight that I'm not too excited about. One of spouse's choices. And I'm not a big sports TV fan (even the Olympics) -- I'll probably knit while paying 1/2 attention to the movie and then go read. Have a great rest of the weekend. Hope Tytan survives! Hugs to everyone! :ghug3
Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Day 101,
Holy shitake mushrooms, I’ve broken 100 days! Crazy… my anniversary came and went without me even thinking about it.
The four bodies were our neighbors from Belgrade… they have two kids around my oldest’s age. It was very nice. It was quite the full house, but they are VERY low maintenance, very nice and fun, it was awesome to have some friends for my kid to play with… and they are Mormon, so no worries about booze. It was a win-win all around.
Anyway, today marks the first day in my last week in London. Hopefully, the set of the family, won’t have to stay here too terribly long before joining me in Belgrade. I think I’m just going to work three days this week and then spend the rest of the week with the family… it could be two to three weeks before I see them.
Anyway, life is pretty good… I am almost finished with my thesis, I’ve completed the rough draft for 4 of my 6 chapters and my page count is already 82 (I only need 80 pages)… which is awesome, since I won’t have to generate new material for my final draft, only scale back.
Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well. I think it’s going to be an early night for me.
Take care everyone!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Tytan, I wrote a nice long post earlier today but I went advanced and must have forgotten to submit post. I can be such an idiot at times. Anyway, don't remember what I said, but I envy you your lifestyle. I wouldn't want it at this point in my life (I'll be 60 this year) but would have loved it 20 years ago. Y'know I was born in Sweden and came to the states when I was 4 and have NEVER been back? I have tons of aunts and uncles (probably dead) and cousins (probably alive) in Stockholm (from my dad's side) and from way southern Sweden (Ryd) from my mom's side. I sporadically try to learn Italian because it is such a beautiful language, but so is Swedish. Of course, everyone in Sweden is fluent in English. Anyway, Tytan, I envy your life, your family, and your will power/self control. TYTAN RULES! (Isn't there a Greek God called Tytan?)
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Asta,
You make me blush and laugh. I would say “break the cycle”! Remember, three years ago I had never been outside the United States… well… okay… I had been to Tijuana, Mexico; the Canadian side of Niagara Falls… and I had taken a discounter cruise to Nassau, Bahamas. I was certainly not “road tested” when I took the plunge… and at times… I’m still not road tested. Just blessed.
At this point, the struggle is to not taking the opportunities for granted. I constantly try to hold onto the childlike wonder of my youth, in regards to the world. It was always so overwhelming, untouchable, and unavailable… seeing it was always a fantastical idea… and now? Well, now I just have to remind myself that it’s still fantastical… and that it is still so much bigger than I will ever be… and that just because it’s available and tangible and a bit less overwhelming… it’s a privilege.
Asta? Bite the bullet. It’s settled… you have to see the country of your birth. Tytan hath spoken. And yes, the “Titan’s” are the children of Zeus… lol.
Let’s stop talking about it and start planning the trip. My first piece of advice… focus on summertime. For some reason, my wife and I don’t know how to vacation in the summertime. Every time we go somewhere cool it’s freezing. Lol.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Day 103!

MILESTONE! I completed the rough draft for all 6 chapters of my thesis! All 99 pages of it! I can’t believe it complete… and I can’t believe I got my rough draft in about 12 days early! Now, I have 22 days to finalize my edits and then move on with the rest of my life.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Tytan

D