Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Yay!! Congrats on it being over, Tytan...great news!

I'm a third the way through mine, tho I haven't taken classes for a long time. I have to decide what to do about that, as it's tied in to my teacher's certificate. If I'm not gonna teach, it's silly to keep the certification active by spending loads of cash on grad classes. But if I don't, I can't sub, either. Oh crap! This was about YOU! Lol. Glad it's over..sounds like a really nice day.

Have fun listening to the very average American Idol kids. Lousy year as a whole, imo.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Mirage, The job market is in the toilet right now so it wouldn't be a good time for job seeking anyway, but it would be a good time to do some real thinking about what you will do when you become the mom of teenagers or an empty nester. That's when the temptation to drink may come back big time, especially during those wonderfully "enduring" teen years!!

Tytan, Congrats on the degree and the success at the party! Your life is going in a very positive direction. {I am going to block Pakistan out of my mind for now.]

Back to work. Is it April 15 yet? I haven't done my return yet. Maybe I'll extend it since I'm pretty sure I won't owe any tax. Sigh.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Mirage: Interesting dilemma, all I can offer is my mom’s story. When I was in middle school she decided to go back to school to become a teacher. While student teaching she became disillusioned by the system, deciding she didn’t want to teach. But she finished her certification and became a private math tutor. A really good math tutor for high school and college, (she was a mathematician before going back to school). Two things really helped her home business. 1) Have her certification automatically vetted her with parents, students and even teachers. 2) While taking her certification classes she met a lot of the teachers from the schools in her county and started developing relationships with them. In just a couple years her business was 100% referral. The point of my story? You might not see the benefit of being part of the system now… but something could pay off in the long run.
Asta: I try not to think about Pakistan either.
Anyway, I’m playing hooky today. My wife woke up in the middle of the night with a fever. So, I stayed home to be her nurse. We’re heading out to the doctor in about an hour. Talk to you guys tomorrow!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

For a minute there, I thought you said you were playing hockey, not hooky, Tytan. There's a sign I live in the north! I've got playoffs on the brain..Red Wings not having a good year.

Thanks for the good advice, guys. I DO have some thinking to do...I wish I had some sort of passion I wanted to pursue, but I don't. I already feel a bit like an empty nester, with the kids in school. Feeling directionless. Interesting story about your mom, T! Hope your wife is feeling better soon!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

It’s a new day. Wife is about 75% better and I’m off to work today. Hurray? Lol.
We didn’t get her started on antibiotics until about 7pm last night, so I figure she’ll be back in the swing of things tonight… in any case she has enough energy to take on the day.
Back to the grindstone.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Another day another dollar!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

The fact that I'm on at the same time at Tytan is disturbing. Lol. Glad she's feelin better!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Lol! Mirage! That's pretty funny.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Didn't want to think I was MIA, but I've been so busy lately. Hubby is gone so I'm doing my own cooking, cleanup etc. It's nice to have the house to myself, but as a result I find myself working longer hours, which are definitely needed. I've got a pretty good sized backlog right now of tax returns. New clients & old. But the money is good. Not a "nest egg" like your year in Pakistan Tytan, but it will turn out to be better than last year. Stay well all.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Helloooooo! Good weekend to come! Tomorrow we have the famous Pinewood Derby for my cubscout. Wish us luck!! This is one of those times I'm reeeeally glad I'm not a single mom...yikes. Wouldn't want me responsible for making a wooden car. Sat night we're going to see my friend play a gig...his sister is in town from AZ and while she and I talk almost every day on fb, I haven't seen her in years. She's a riot..it's gonna be a good time. Oh and let's not forget the Mich St vs. Northern Iowa bb game tonight! Go Spartys!! Hope you guys have a great day!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hey folks! Just got back from a day at the park… didn’t enjoy it too much though. I’m completely preoccupied with issues at work. My former boss is trying to throw me under the bus for my annual review. She claim to have issues unrelated to my paternity leave but refuses to put specifics in writing… she only wanted to meet face to face, so I agreed only if a third party was present, since not putting things in writing seems to be her MO. Anyway, I just need to relax.
My fantasy sports group is having a great NCAA Bracket season. There was 10 of us for football season and I won for the second year in a row. Some of the guys pressed for an NCAA Bracket this year… I don’t follow College sports at all… however… out of the 7 of us playing… I’m one of three still in the game. I’m the only one who picked Duke to go all the way… the other two picked Kentucky. There was a ton of smack talk before the Bracket, “I can’t wait to see [Tytan] crash and burn on this one.” Honestly… it’s pretty hilarious that I’m still in it. Go West Virginia! Go Duke! I know nothing about your teams, I just want you to win!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Lol...well that's fair. I don't think anyone actually CARES about the teams..it's the bracket that matters. I was hoping Purdue was gonna take out Duke last night, just for upset sake. State beat N. Iowa, so elite eight here we come!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I know nothing about what you guys are talking about but I went to UW Madison so I hope they win something if they are even still in anything. Basketball, I'll take the Bulls, cuz they're from Chicago, right? and I grew up in Illinois and for football (yes, I know football season is over) I like the Packers and 49ers. I couldn't name a hockey team if you paid me. Well, I could if I had a newspaper or could look it up on the net. Well, back to taxes. Woo Hoo!! Spent most of the day taking care of personal stuff that's been put off all week but I've got a couple of real easy ones I can knock off before dinner. Have a great weekend you sports freaks!! LOL!!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hurray! West Virginia won last night! If Duke wins tonight I am a lock for second place (one point shy of the bracket win). Then, if Duke beats West Virginia, I will have a lock! See? Math rules! I know nothing about spots… but I know a lot about statistics and mathematical trends. Lol! I almost never pick with my heart… I follow the numbers.
Next stop. World Cup!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

"World Cup"...LOL!! You can shoot me when I start betting on the World Cup. Mich St. beat the Volunteers last night to secure a spot in the final four!! I'm pretty sure that's as far as we'll go, but it's still cool.

The weather is supposed to pick up here this week..it's much needed. We need a shot in the arm and Spring weather would be helpful. My oldest leaves for "5th grade camp" tomorrow, so today will consist of me gettin his stuff together! Oh, and the little one came in 2nd in the finals of the cub scouts pinewood derby!! It was very exciting..he came in 1st in his troop and went on to compete with the other troops. It was a funny, long story with the car, but I'll spare you. Just suffice it to say, we were hoping the thing would make it down the track after it broke and we scotch taped a piece back on, and taped a nickel to the back for weight. Lol! Whatever. It worked...and worked well.
Have a great day!!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Mirage! Glad to hear the pine wood derby went well. I can’t believe I’ve almost reached the 5 month mark. It’s crazy. It doesn’t seem like that much time has passed since I started posting on this board. Nuts!
Today was a no-drinking milestone. Since getting back from London I’ve started checking my weight every few days. I hadn’t realized it until people started commenting my weight. My wife backed them up… I had no idea. To I weighed myself. I had lost about 15+ pounds. Just by cutting out drinking. I started to think… wouldn’t it be great to get back to my college weight? Mother’s day will mark my 10 year anniversary of graduation. To do that I needed to lose a total of 25 pounds… so I only needed about 10 more. I dropped down to 20 pounds… and started swinging back and forth around 20… I figured, “nuts, this is probably my max… I’ll have to start working out now.” Well, this morning I got on that scale and I was exactly on that 25 pound mark. I couldn’t believe it. I took a double take to make sure I was reading it correctly. I rushed out of the bathroom, “guess how much I weight!” My wife started laughing, “You’re dropped the 25.”
So yeah… I think it’s time to start working out. Feels good.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hey that's great, Tytan! What an extra bonus! Weight's been on my mind too..as summer's right around the corner. College weight, eh? That's about 10-15 for me...think I'll go for it! Crap..I'd better stop eatin these Dove chocolate pieces...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Congrats Tytan! You may have to spend some of that "nest egg" money on a whole new wardrobe.

Mirage, I love those Dove chocolate pieces too. You are talking about the ones with the little sayings inside the wrappers, right? My favs are the milk choc, and my husbands are the dark, but in a pinch I'll eat either. Have a good one guys.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Mmmm… dove bars.
It’s funny. My brother who only has a drink from time to time is six years older than me and still at his high school/college weight and shape. It’s been maddening. His whole life he eats a big bowl of ice cream and just does his thing… he’s waiting for it to catch up to him (our dad is a pretty big guy, but eats horrible and doesn’t work out at all)… so, he says, “I’ll enjoy my ice cream until it starts to back fire.”
Anyway, I’m not doing anything extra not drinking. And man… my metabolism is back up and running. I’m lovin’ it!
Mmmmm…. Dove bars.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Yes Asta...those are the ones!! I have both dark AND milk.

You inspired me to work out yesterday, Tytan!
Tread mill, crunches, weights..the whole bit. Felt great..I may even do it again some day! :rotfxko