Administrator

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-group-20.html

Here's to another 500 posts guys
D
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh wow..very cool! It seems we've graduated..or somethin like that.

I never did see Alvin...the thought of hearing the helium induced voices for 2 hours kept me out of the theater. I have to say, the trailer for the sequel is cute..the Beyonce "Single Lady" reference made me laugh. Maybe I'll reconsider my position.

I was supposed to take the kids to see a live performance of Pinocchio today. I had my mom take them, as this sinus thing is really messing with my head, and I hurt my back the other day and shoveling put the nail in the coffin. I know I sound 80 yrs old right now, but it freakin hurts, and I didn't think I could sit in the theatre for that long. Kinda sad..that would have been fun if I were feeling well. My rents are keeping the kids over night, so I'm just vegging tonight. I see some On Demand movies in my future. Been meaning to see The Hangover (no irony intended), so maybe I'll see that.
Day 7 and doing fine...besides the plethora of ailments listed above, that is.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey mirage, tytan, future and all november-ites!

Saturday is a great day for movies. I've been meaning to see Avatar, I've heard that is good. Mirage, The Hangover is an awesome movie - very funny. Sorry to hear you're under the weather. It's nice that your parents can help out. Yay for moms and dads!

My day has been pretty uneventful - cleaning up, reading and surfing the net. Zumba class tommorrow - exciting! Haven't been to one in a while.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 62.

Mirage, no need to change your position on Alvin 2. About 3 minutes into the movie Jason Lee (as David), the only person who made the first movie watchable, has an accident and placed in a full body cast… I was like, “NOOO!!!!” <imagine me shouting this in slow motion>. I new immediately that he was bookend the movie and I was correct… he did random phone calls to check up on the chipmunks through out and really didn’t show up again until the last 3 minutes.

But, then I got excited (kind of)… while in the hospital David sent Alvin & gang to stay with his Aunt, played by the older lady from Desperate Housewives… you know, the one who babysits for everyone? Anyway, I think she’s really funny… and of course… within 2 minutes of her appearance on screen she falls down a flight of stairs, taken away in an ambulance… and is never heard from again. Erg.

I give it One Star from an adult perspective… and Two Stars from a watchable family film perspective. Stick with the first movie… it’s much better… but only watch it if you have kids.

As for Avartar. I must see this movie!

Happy Sunday everyone!!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Re; Chipmunks. When my family came to the USA from Sweden in 1954, after we got a phonograph, the first 2 albums we bought, as I recall, were White Christmas and the Chipmunks Xmas album. I loved them. I'll probably put Chipmunks 2 on my Netflix list and see it when it comes out on DVD. I'm a sucker for cartoons, even at my age. Especially the Flintstones, and at times Bugs Bunny. You'd think I was still 5. But I'm way more'n 5!!!
If you're a football fan, I hope your team wins. My husband is glued to the TV as I type. Guess I better get back to my afghan for an elderly friend who doesn't have much time left. Once I finish, if he's still alive, I'm going to overnight it to Illinois. He's been a family friend (also very Swedish) for years.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Asta..sorry to hear about your friend..good luck with the afghan! Aaaand now I have the chipmunk xmas song in my head.

Thanks for the review, Ebert. Sounds skippable. Funny about Jason Lee bookending the movie! I felt that way watching The Hangover. My favorite dude was Justin Bartha, who played Doug, and he was the one they look for for the whole movie. DOH! Again with the bookend.

Avatar was much better than I thought it would be. It's visually beautiful (see it in 3D)..the screenplay didn't hold up to the effects, but I didn't think it would really. I was not as bothered by the digital inhabitants of the very cool planet as I predicted. Be prepared to pay bigger bucks than usual, as you pay for the 3D glasses.

Hope you all have a great Monday!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Asta, the Chipmunks christmas songs are awesome! Love those Christmas chipmunks..

Tytan, I have never seen any Chipmunks movies. Jason Lee is great - I loved him in Kevin Smith's movies. It's too bad there isn't more of him in the chipmunks.

Mirage, I can't wait to see Avatar! I am just trying to find the right time. I was a bit reluctant b/c some of the lines sounded so cheesy - something about a guy's missing legs? This hard boiled army type says, "Son, if you get back alive, you get both yer legs back. Real legs!" or something like that. It sounded hilariously bad. But I'd love to escape into some wild visual stuff for a few hours, so I will def check it out.

Today I saw 'It's Complicated'. That was a nice, light romantic comedy. If I watched it alone, I probably wouldn't have laughed out loud very much, but going to the movie with people is a different experience. Getting out of the house and spending time with people...hmmm...I must plan to do this more often...
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 63.
Who in the world would have thought my random Chipmunk post would spawn so much thought and memories. No matter how much CGI Hollywood layers on… the Chipmunks are an American Masterpiece. Oddly enough… the guy behind the Chipmucks (the real David) was the son of Armenian immigrants… and he reportedly spend his families last two-hundred dollars one the recording device he used to launch the Chipmunks. So, Asta, it’s pretty cool that you connect to the Chipmunks in a starting a new life sort of way.
Spryte: I first took notice of Jason Lee in “Chasing Amy”… which, in my opinion is probably Kevin Smith’s best work. Maybe we should just change the November ’09 group to a Jason Lee fan club. Lol.
Oh man… you guys have to stop me. I am a movie and TV freak! I could talk about it all the time… like the Jay Leno vs. Conan thing going on right now. No, wait! I must stop! My mother admitted to my wife that she used the television as a babysitter with me growing up. My wife has finally given up the fight to wean me off. Speaking of which, she is begging me to find the season premier of Big Love… one of a hand full of shows she will actually watch.
So, off I go! I have to find it… I’m hoping iTunes has it up and ready for DL.
Take care everyone!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tytan, congrats on Day 63! The things I learn from hanging out here - chipmunk lore...lol...the creation story is pretty cool

Big Love - I have been hearing a lot about that lately. Your wife is onto something. Apparently is an awesome show that kind of snuck up on people. The storylines have been slowly building and got really crazy and interesting in the last season. I might rent the dvd's and watch from the beginning.

So, I'm wondering: where do you stand on the late night wars? Conan or Leno?

I am so tired today - only got 2.5 hours sleep last night, so I'm looking forward to a good sleep tonight. Sleepiness still beats a hangover on any day, though

I hope all Novemberites had a good day!

Novemberites....we need something shorter and snappier...11 / 9's? Novies?
:wtf2 ok, I really am sleep deprived...I'm out
Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, they took my elderly family friend off life support today. I finished the afghan mid afternoon and couldn't find anywhere that would get it there the next day. Apparently the cargo flight to PDX leaves at 3:30 or so. We missed it by 1/2 hour. So he will get it on Wednesday. I feel so sad for him and his family. He was an elementary school volunteer (daily I think) until his health declined last year (2009). All the kids called him Grandpa and loved him and he loved them all. Of course no one knows how long he will last but it is so sad and depresssing. My mom, his son, and his SO visited him this morning and he was not too aware. He loved going dancing and having fun and was dancing even into 2009, and he was probably 90 or so.

Now I get to catch up on some business stuff that I've deferred since I rushed to finish the afghan. Hugs to all.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((Asta))...so sorry about your friend..he sounds like a lovely man. Glad you were able to get the afghan off to him. What colors did you use? Prayers that his end is a peaceful one.

Spryte..lol..hope you got some sleep! Did you dream of how to shorten Novemberites? How bout Vembers?

I still feel crummy, and not afraid to admit I'm sick of it. I was supposed to be in my 2nd graders room yesterday and totally forgot. I still have xmas stuff that needs to go in storage and between my energy level and my back (thank you shoveling), it's still sittin out. Yuck! I feel unorganized. Ok, done whining.

I kinda liked Jay at 10:00, cuz if there was nothing on, there was always that as a fall back. I didn't fall back very often, though. I think I heard it's somehow up to Conan now? It's neither here nor there for me.

What DOES bother me is this nominating 10 movies in the best picture category for the Oscars!! Every year I try to see the 5 best pic noms between the time they announce them and the show in Feb. Now I have TEN?? This is especially troublesome as I hold an Oscar pool every year for 10 bucks a pop and I'm fond of winning it. I'm not likin this.

Wow..I'm quite the complainer today! I'm happy to report that everything else is sunshine and roses, though!! Have a great day, folks!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mirage, I used the Swedish flag colors, bright blue and bright yellow. I had hoped to work in an outline of the flag in the afghan but after my mom told me about the life support, I ditched that thought and just got it done and out ASAP. Unfortuntately I missed the 3:30 cut off time here on the coast for next day delivery, so he won't get it until Wednesday. I know my Mom will call me when his time is up. So not looking forward to hearing it.

I like Vembers. Works for me. Maybe Vembers09?

Guess I better get busy. It's supposed to rain most of the day. Of course, it was POURING when I went out to get the newspaper and let up a little about 10 minutes later. Go figure!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Asta, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That sounds like a lovely afghan.

Vembers09! I like that.

Mirage, there's always unfinished xmas stuff eh? Holidays are lovely, but things always get so disorganized...arg...

I'm a Conan fan, but I never watch any of the late nigh shows, so my support doesn't count for much. I read an article somewhere that said that the late night shows wars are much more interesting than the shows themselves...that fits me to a tee

10 noms? That's crazy. I can just imagine the interviews with the movie people, "It's an honour...well, it's pretty good to be nominated. Yeah, it's alright." The prestige declines the more it's spread around. Not to mention the watching of all those movies...ech...

My day was so-so. Work was gross, I had my first bellydance class tonight - fun. Glad to be sober

Here's hoping tommorrow is sunny wherever you are Vembers09!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know, right Spryte? Some honor! Well they can put it on the cover of their DVDs when they come out. "Oscar nominated, The Hangover!!" Puhleeeze.

Little anecdote about triggers. I was reading a thread yesterday...a lot of people talking about how they tried to quit drinking a lot of times before they finally got it right. And right away my mind went to 'See? You've only tried a few times! You can relapse plenty of more times!" It's like a Jekyll/Hyde thing. I swear, I can go from feeling really sure about not drinking, to wanting to drink, within mere minutes. Bizarre! That's the biggest hurdle for me. It's not so much the physical, but the mental...that little voice that tells me I'm not done yet. Of course, the fact that I have this voice at all, tells me I have issues. (I mean beyond the fact that I hear voices.) Anyway...I find this drinking schizophrenia really interesting...and not just a little scary..the thought that I could buy into Mr. Hyde's propaganda some night.

Hope you're all having a great day!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mirage, it's hilarious / terrible isn't it? Thoughts have flickered in my mind -

"wouldn't it actually strengthen my resolve to have one last go at it? Y'know, just to really really make sure that drinking is terrible. Cause it is. All the more reason to really convince myself of that. By drinking."

Oh dear...it's not a cake walk, this sobriety thing...sigh. It's worth it though

Tonight I met someone for coffee and they thought I had my hair cut. I was like 'erm, no. I blow dried it.' It's odd to actually start taking a bit of pride in my appearance again. Who knows, tommorrow I might even put on a bit of lipgloss!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Little anecdote about triggers. I was reading a thread yesterday...a lot of people talking about how they tried to quit drinking a lot of times before they finally got it right. And right away my mind went to 'See? You've only tried a few times! You can relapse plenty of more times!" It's like a Jekyll/Hyde thing. I swear, I can go from feeling really sure about not drinking, to wanting to drink, within mere minutes. Bizarre! That's the biggest hurdle for me. It's not so much the physical, but the mental...that little voice that tells me I'm not done yet. Of course, the fact that I have this voice at all, tells me I have issues. (I mean beyond the fact that I hear voices.) Anyway...I find this drinking schizophrenia really interesting...and not just a little scary..the thought that I could buy into Mr. Hyde's propaganda some night.

Hope you're all having a great day!
Don't know who has read Jack Trimpey's The Small Book (re: rational recovery method for overcoming addictions), but he has named that little voice or whatever, THE BEAST. I think that is such an appropriate title. The Beast can destroy you if you let it. I still haven't finished the book but I'm getting close. I've also decided to read up on Buddhism, which intrigues me. Ordered a book (I'm not kidding here re: title) Buddhism for Dummies.

Spryte-belly dancing sounds like a lot of fun and a good fitness workout I imagine. We have a dance studio around here but I doubt they offer it. Just the standards like ballet, tap, ballroom, that kind of stuff. Hope you get real good and then you can perform at parties and stuff!! Pop out of a big cake and do a belly dance??? LOL
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Asta...hmmm...me popping out of a cake..frightening! But, I spose it's better to be popping out of it than falling on top of it lol

I've heard good things about The Small Book, but haven't gotten a copy...Buddhism for Dummies - that is awesome. Life is complicated enough these days...why complicate things further Let us know what it's like when you read it
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ha...I've seen that "for Dummies" book, Asta. I think I leafed through it once in the store. I was just saying the other day how there's one of those books for EVERYTHING. Whoever came up with that idea is now rollin in it.

I've not read The Small Book. Sounds like a worthwhile read.

Don't forget your castanets, Spryte! And really I'm thinkin you should pierce the ol' belly button while you're at it. C'mon...it won't hurt.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 66.
Spryte: My take on Conan and Leno is pretty simple. In 2004 contracts and promises were made. Conan moved 150 people and his family to LA in 2009 to take over said show. But, Leno changed his mind faster than Bret Farve. He didn’t want to retire… so NBC catered to him by giving him the 10pm time slot (which as destine to fail)… and now Leno wants his old job back. The fact that Leno hasn’t manned up and stopped this is very telling. He is behaving the same way he did with Letterman, “I don’t know what going on… I am waiting to find out.” I think he knows and he wasn’t it to run it’s course. I don’t feel sorry for Conan, he has too much money for me to feel sorry for him… but I agree with Conan’s assessment of the situation. NBC is screwing things up and describing the Tonight Shows legacy. That’s my 2-cents.

Asta: I am sorry for your lose.

Anyway folks I’m short on time this week. My best friend from the states is visiting, my wife’s thinking she’s in prelabor, I need to start writing my thesis, and Conan might be out of a job… it’s a big week!

Take care everyone… I will be back soon!
Tytan
Vemberite 4 Life
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mirage, I would love to use castanets. We are supposed to have 'pretty hands' (ie. graceful hands), but mine are 'carpal tunnel hands' (ie. claw-like hooks at the end of my arms). Castanets would be great! Distract from the lack of pretty...now, a belly piercing...I had it done years ago...don't think I could do it again. Maybe a clip on if they have those?

Tytan, I think you're right about the Conan / Leno situation. I had forgotten that Conan moved to LA to do the Late Show! He must be so pissed...still rich (good point!) lol, but pissed.

Big week indeed! I didn't know you were expecting...that's so exciting

Nothing much doing for me today. I went to a podiatrist and it looks like my insurance will cover a sturdy, sensible pair of sneakers. They look huge! But they are good for me. The shoe doctor says so. I was going to go to a meeting tonight but took a nap instead...hm. Must try a do a bit better there.

Have a great day everyone!