Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Mirage... the bucks plan wasn't 100% on the fly... about a year ago I did a ton of research on chore reward programs for kids, but my wife thought he was too young (which he was)... and we used to watch a ton of supernanny... I simply channeled super nanny and my past research on the fly. And my 4 year old helped make the list of things he likes to do.

Go Saints!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Supernanny is awesome. Some of the kids on that show are terrors..can't imagine. Of course, they're terrors cuz their parents are wienies.

I forgot to give you a 'woot woot' for your 90, Tytan!! You really pulled it together and fast. Awesome job..you should feel very proud of yourself!

I have a little one home with an ear infection today. I think he's diggin it though, cuz now he can stay in bed and read all day, which is what he likes to do even when he's healthy. Unfortunately, I can't help out in the other little one's room at school like I do every Monday. I gotta say, I love not being hung over. I just wish I could remember how much I love it, in the evenings. A I know..a day at a time.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

All is well on the coast here. No rain today and some sunshine even. Have plenty of client work to do, but still insist on making time for my morning paper and exercise. It's still early in the season. It may be different story come April.

Tytan-Mirage - good job on handling the kids!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Day 91.
I got up this morning at 5:45am… had to run to the airport to pick-up my mother-in-law. She’s has WAY too much energy… which is exactly what this family needs right now. I welcome having the extra pair of hands… I’m two day late on my last thesis deadline… I’m hoping I can get some solid writing time while she is here to catch up.
Mirage, I think I shared with the group a while back about how picky my wife is about tv shows she is willing to watch. A lot of reality competitions shows seem to float her boat and just a few regular shows. Supernanny was one of our stables for a long time after our first was born… but after being loyal fans we saw and episode that we need to turn off and we haven’t really watched the show again. Our favorites were always the Military wife on her own raising three kids while her husband was deployed, or the father who worked strange hours, working families who relied on grandparents… real world programs… but, as the show progressed we could tell that they were getting more and more outrageous in their family selections. It was all about unruly kids and inept parents. Anyway, we saw this episode about a family with four kids and a father who worked strange hours… the older three kids were pretty unruly, but not unmanageable, and the youngest was just over one year old. The family was really into natural parenting techniques like self weaning from nursing, co-sleeping, and baby carriers like slings and what not. Well, my wife and I are pretty granola and we do a lot of these things too. Well, Supernanny zeroed in on the mothers “obsession” with this style of parenting, identifying it as the cause of the families over all issues. Supernanny went to ridiculous lengths to “teach” the mother how to get the baby to “take” (more like force) a bottle… forcing the parents to “cut the cord” and get the baby out of the bed… it got really uncomfortable to watch, because we didn’t believe natural parenting was the root cause of their family issues. Plus, my wife being a postpartum doula and lactation consultant, cringed as she watched all of the miss information and poor techniques Supernanny was trying to implement. My wife looked up Jo’s credentials… she has degrees in adolescent psychology or something like that, which he is great at and the hallmark of the show… but she has no real history of working with babies… which was evident in the episode. Any way, we turned off the episode and we’ve only watched a handful sense… but we pretty much stay away from episodes feature babies. Sad but true.
Whelp, I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Take it easy!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Well that makes sense..I can see where you're coming from. I don't watch it anymore cuz (a. it drives my husband crazy) and b. I can't stand watching bratty and disrespectful behavior. I just thought I was getting sick of the show, but maybe it did start to change in regards to the kinda of families they chose. I was fortunate with my kids..I was pretty strict out of the gate..not takin crap, so a look from me would work just fine. Ha! I'm lucky, tho..I've got a couple of awesome boys..they're just laid back, genuinely nice kids. SO FAR. Ugh..they do become teenagers, you know. No one told me they were gonna grow up! Oh well...guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

No complaints here gang! We're getting 5-8 inches of the white stuff today into tomorrow. (ok, that might have been a complaint). Actually we're due..we've had little snow fall this year, and no school snow days. It'll be pretty. Have a great day!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Finally some clear blue sky this morning. Unfortunately I will be spending the day inside working (tax time) but I have a nice big window where I can see the nice weather. May have to sneak a short walk out to the beach during low tide.

Have a nice day all!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Day 92!!!

My kid is 4 years old today!!!! Hurray!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Tytan -- A great big happy birthday to your son.:day2 Things are going well here. Tax season is getting an early start and it is really putting me in a positive mood to be productive and actually earning some money again.

Mirage -- It seems like the 3 of us are all that is holding this thread together lately.

Dee -- where have you been lately? Just a "Hello" would be nice. A trip to Australia would be AWESOME! The plane ride there and back would be the b***h. Do you scuba or snorkel? Isn't the Grand Barrier Reef off Australia? Besides being the "rock" here at SR, want to share what you do? If not, just ignore or say MYOB.

That's it for me tonight. I'm going to finish a baby knit hat for charity. I'm planning on doing a lot of knitting for "clients" of one of my nonprofit clients. Something to keep my hands busy while watching TV!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Day 93.
Whelp, His 4th birthday was a success! A trip to Hamley’s (the oldest toy store in the world), lunch at the Rain Forest Café’, a small birthday get-together with the families we’ve met since arriving, and present opening. All were a success… at one point he looked at me as said, “thanks dad, this is the best birthday ever.” And will opening presents he said, “this is how birthdays are supposed to be.”
Whelp, it is 7:30am the day after and he’s already broken out the face painting kit… now I need to make French toast for a little vampire sitting on the couch.
Take care everyone!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to Tytan Jr! Cute age..sounds like he had a blast. Gotta love the Rain Forest Cafe!

I know, Asta...and then there were 3!
I tried knitting once, Asta. I didn't get into it, but I see it in my future. My goal is to make my husband heavy hunting socks. I do cross stitch, though. My sil gave me one to do a year and a half ago..I'm still working on it. It's huge..2 houses side by side. It's easy to put it down and let a lot of time go by, so I got it out yesterday..have to work on it more.

Anyone watch Survivor? New one starts tonight..can't wait!
Had our first snow day of the year yesterday. Happy kids!
I'm on day 10, btw..feeling good..trying not to worry about the night I wanna pick up. Oh, it'll come.

Have a great Thursday!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Happy birthday to Tytan Jr! Cute age..sounds like he had a blast. Gotta love the Rain Forest Cafe!

I know, Asta...and then there were 3!
I tried knitting once, Asta. I didn't get into it, but I see it in my future. My goal is to make my husband heavy hunting socks. I do cross stitch, though. My sil gave me one to do a year and a half ago..I'm still working on it. It's huge..2 houses side by side. It's easy to put it down and let a lot of time go by, so I got it out yesterday..have to work on it more.

Anyone watch Survivor? New one starts tonight..can't wait!
Had our first snow day of the year yesterday. Happy kids!
I'm on day 10, btw..feeling good..trying not to worry about the night I wanna pick up. Oh, it'll come.

Have a great Thursday!
I do cross stitch and needlepoint too, but my last needlepoint project wore me out! There were so many small areas of different colors. Knitting goes a lot faster and you see the finished product faster (usually, especially if you have a pattern that uses a large size needle).

Never got into Survivor. Name about any other show, however, & I've probably watched it. Congrats on Day 10. You are right in trying not to worry about the eventual crave. Enough problem of dealing with it then, much less worrying about it ahead to time. Stay focused on the cross stitch (altho some of those projects seem intended to drive people to drink!!! LOL)
Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

Happy blated Birthday to your little guy, Tytan

Congrats on Day 10 Mirage!

I am starting to get the heebie jeebies about staying full time with this, but I'm trying to focus on today only...not the easiest thing to do, but do-able? I think?

Asta, those are some precise hobbies. I always found things like that challenging. It seemed that people who were really into them could almost do the needle point and something else like talk or watch tv at the same time. That always amazed me!

Weekend's almost here

Later allegators
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Spryte: Good to see you back. I find the day by day thing the best way for me. Although I sometimes focus on the next day too -- want to make sure if my travels take me past a liquor store, that I DO NOT STOP.

I guess I am one of those strange ones that can do knitting/needlepoint etc. and watch TV or talk at the same time. One HUGE exception however. If you have to count stitches, like you often do in cross stitch or complicated knitting patterns, you have got to pay attention, or you will be ripping out/undoing and doing it all over again. Did that a lot when I was drinking and doing craft projects! Would take me twice as long to finish a project!!

Heebie jeebies are part of the process. I haven't had them in a while but I keep a journal that I write in at least every few days. I write down all the bad hangover symptoms, and a lot of other crap that alcohol has done for me. I also write down the good things. But for me it is therapeutic. I just have an encrypted Word file so no one can read it. You might try it. I find getting things out in writing can be cleansing. Plus, I can bitch all I want and no one will have to hear/read it except me.

Go to the library & get yourself a "How to knit or crochet" book. It really is quite fun and it is a cheap way to make holiday presents for family, etc!! You might enjoy it, maybe not, but what the heck? Keep posting here. We missed you!8
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Day 93.

Oooo... Survivor... thanks for he reminder!

I'm glad to see everyone doing so well! Busy day!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Not much going on except client work today. Lousy weather again. I am so ready for spring!! Actually, we get a lot of rain in spring too, so I am so... ready for SUMMER!!

Have a great night all!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Day 94.

What the heck is going on in the States? I just got word from friends that it is snowing in Charleston, SC! And a blizzard in Atlanta. What is the world!?!?

IN other sad news... being the Olympic's junky I am... I am deeply saddened by the death of the Georgian Luger...

-Tytan
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Yes Tytan...49 states have snow right now...(and they're even uncertain about the highest elevations in Hawaii.) Dallas just got a foot dumped on em.

Yep, that's some sad stuff. I felt badly, too, for the other Georgians walking in to the opening ceremonies last night. I mean, this is their moment and they can't smile or be happy..terrible for all.

We're going to dinner and a movie w/ my bro and sil for Val Day.

Have a great day!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Tytan, Not a big sports fan of any kind but did watch the ceremonies last night. It was so sad about the Georgian. Oregon coast was probably one of the few places without snow but we had, of course, rain. Being in England, I'm sure you have learned the temperate effect of the ocean on the weather. The coast rarely gets snow, although it has happened several times since we've lived here in 2001. It goes away pretty fast tho and doesn't accumulate much. Much worse is black ice on the highway in the shady parts of the highway. There is a part of highway near our house that never gets sun and if the temperature drops below freezing overnight, you had better really SLOW DOWN. People living on the coast don't use snow tires. Most people carry chains, however, for trips into the valley when you have to go over the coastal ranges.

Mirage, I hate to seem like a dummy but is "sil" short for a sister? We usually shorten sister to "sis."
Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Day 95.
49 States has snow???? You have to be kidding me. I knew things were bad when, on facebook, an old college friend who now works for a local news station in Charleston, SC was asking people from Charleston for snow pictures to put on the 11pm news broadcast. I lived there for 5 years… the idea of them getting snow is crazy.
Yeah, Asta, no real snow here, although we are getting some slushy rain periodically.
Whelp, this is my last day in purgatory… I mean my mother-in-law’s last day in town so I need to run. The good news is that my mother-in-law stopped drinking about a year ago… but the bad news is that she’s stopped taking her anti-anxiety disorder meds… it’s been a REALLY crazy week. Her boyfriend has been passing kidney stones, back in the States, all week, and my mother-in-law has been trying to micromanage the situation the entire time she’s been here. She’s been so wound up about it that she’s stopped sleeping… and calling him at all hours of night and day… ignoring basic time zone rules calling other family members at crazy hours to have them check up on her boyfriend. I know passing stones are rough… but the dude is a big boy… get him some pain meds and comfortable bed, and a strainer to pee through… <sigh> am I heartless?
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone! The US is ahead in the metal count after day one! Keep it up!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Sorry Asta..no 'sil' is short for 'sister in law'. It was a nice night. The movie was kinda not great, and dinner the same, but hey..it was fun.

Ha Tytan..no, you're not heartless...I was thinkin the same thing as I was reading it. Trying to micromanage someone else passing kidney stones, from across the ocean made me giggle.

U!S!A!