Notices

August Sobriety Group Pt 6

Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Purple bus up and running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a gray day here today too....so., lets head to where is it warm, sunny, and there
are cute cabana boys.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Gray and rainy here, too!!! And I have my least favorite chore ahead of me -- the weekly grocery shopping. Yeah, let's turn this into a whiners thread today! LOL.

Breakfree, you and I always seem to be on somewhat of the same schedule. Let's start afresh today and see what we can accomplish!

Off to do my errrands/shopping....
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan, ladies! :)

I'm off to do my AM/PM chores. I'll be back when I am finished. But for the record, I really, really don't want to do any work! LOL I just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book until the purple bus pulls up! :O

tallcactus...We'll have to be sure to hit Starbucks! Out with the "Pumpkin Spiced Latte" and on with the "White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha"! Mmmm....

VC...I don't think you came with us on our last trip...you MUST join us this time :) We'll have a blast...lots of LAUGHS! :)

Get ready everyone! Here we come!

Nothing like a little August spirit to brighten up the day!

Love,
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

It's amazing what an hour and a half of hard work can do for the soul! :) I feel SO MUCH BETTER! :) But, I must say, it wasn't just the hard work...it was the feeling of having (((cyberfriends))) out there to lift me back up and press forward with. Thank you bdiddy, ANEW and traderjane for taking that feeling of lonliness and isolation away today. Kind words and hugs make a world of difference. So do the loving kicks in the pants ;) I thank you for all it! :)

MUAH!
Love,
Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

morning all...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

[
Originally Posted by ANEWAUGUST
You know, it isn't the amount or frequency with which we drink that defines wether or not we have a problem with alcohol. It is how it makes us feel, how our bodies metabolize the alcohol,and the fact, that truly, non-alcoholics don't give this a second thought at all.
that is so true, i didnt drink that much when compared to a lot of people both in and out of the rooms, BUT i didnt like what it did to me, or how it made ME feel, i didnt like not knowing how i would end up at the end of a night out, sometimes just fine, others blackouts, i couldnt really trust myself when one was going to happen, i could predict to a degree, stressful situations = more likely a drunk, but sometimes i went out SO determined NOT to get like that, and it happened anyway.
i am so glad i do not do that anymore,. i find i am become much more social, much happier, with that worry lifted, why go back?? the thought of a few drinks is SO tempting, but with the meetings i have somehow managed not to cave.

i feel for you bf, and anyone else having a hard time ((hug))

kate
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

I've been catching up on this thread today, and I know some of us are struggling right now. BreakFree, Midton, Trader, stay sober today and keep posting. Richard, come on back. I'm also struggling today, but in a different way. I'm sober, 45 days or so, and as the expression goes, I won't drink today so I'll add another day to my tally tomorrow. That's not the problem. My problem right now is trying to forgive myself for falling off the wagon so often last summer. I'm really disappointed in myself for doing so, and I'm trying to come to grips with that. I know that living "in today" is the intellectual answer since we can't change the past, but emotionally it's not always so easy to do.

As some of you may remember, prior to last spring I had been sober for 5 1/2 years. Then I got complacent. I think I must have thought that I was cured and I could moderate my drinking. That idea didn't work very well.

Yesterday, in doing some planning for work, I was looking back over my work calendar for the past year. Then I started trying to figure out on which days over the past 6 months (when I relapsed) did I drink. Some days I easily remember because the following morning I was hungover at a meeting or something. Other times, like when I was on vacation for a couple of weeks I'm not sure how often I drank (was it 3 days that week or 5 days?). I wasn't drinking everyday, it was more of a binge type of thing, followed by a 7 - 10 days off. What I'm struggling with now is trying to forgive myself for blowing 5 1/2 years of sobriety. It's not like I just slipped once, it was over and over. I'm upset with myself that it happened, and it's shaken my confidence.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

(((Zebra))) You MUST forgive yourself. Something I am learning is that recovery is going to be ongoing, lifetime of a process. Some may NEVER drink again and some may slip up occassionally. I see it happen so often. Read about it a lot on the boards :( It's disheartening at times, but unfortunately, I think it is the reality of the disease. The most important thing - I think - is that you keep trying to abstain from alcohol. That's all we can do, right? I know an alcohol addiction is more dangerous than food addictions, but I look at people who are addicted to eating...or smoking...things other than alcohol...many people fall off the wagon for whatever it is they are trying to rid from their lives. You just gotta keep trying. I can imagine how frustrating it must feel to "technically" lose those days, but for what it's worth, in MY BOOK, they are not lost. You earned them and noone can EVER take them away. Keep on keeping on. Chin up and keep moving in the right direction. Focus on all the important things in your life. Those are what really matter :) Alcohol does NOT define any of us...LOVE to you, my friend :)
Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hey Kids! Memba Me? Just checking in to see how you guys are doing. I'm still doing the drankin' thing, but still think of you guys. I skimmed over your posts -- you guys write A LOT!

Anyways, just thought I'd pop in and say hello! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Jason
Old 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

(((GoFish)))! Of course we remember you! You are, after all, unforgettable! :) So good to see you! :) :) :)
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hey Jason! Thanks for checking in, and if you ever want to try to kick alcohol out of your life, you know we are always here for you! So the purple bus is going again? Sweet, I am in! Why don't you guys swing up to South Dakota and visit. It is sunny and a beautiful fall day here. Upper 40's. Nice day for a walk. Oh, and about the cute cabana boys Anew, I don't like that idea. Do they have cute cabana girls? Now THAT I am down with! haha. Maybe I could be the cute cabana boy? lol. I just realized that there are a lot more women than men on this thread. I seem to have my pick of women here! lol. I wish the odds were this good back in my college days. haha.

But anyways, I am out of here for the day. Back home to play with my daughter and have supper, then we are hosting couples Bible study tonight. I would like to go to the AA meeting tonight, since Mondays are the meeting that I first went to, and it is like my "home group" but I have to choose between Bible study and the meeting, and they are both important to me. So I just pick which one I feel I need to be at that night. I do however go and have ice cream with the AA guys after Bible study. So either way I see them.

Hugs to a sober evening everyone, and I hope that you are all back sober and happy tomorrow. Peace!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Zebra...

Its the disease of alcoholism that is robbing you right now of being in the present. It overshadows us, engulfs our souls and keep us off balance.

If you are like me at all.,it isn't that others don't forgive me., it is that I don't forgive myself. If I never work past that, work thru that...I will remain emotionally/spiritually sick.

There is an expression in AA...we will not regret the past, nor, wish to shut the door on it. We don't live in and with the regret, but, we are mindful of it, and what this disease can do to us. It leave a hole in our soul. In order for me to remain not only sober, but, emotionally and spiritually sober I have to let the past go.

Do we wish there was a time machine that could transport us back to those years we were sober back to back...well, for me, yes and no. As much as I HATE how I acted,
and the insanity of what I did, it brought me to this place in my life. I have acceptance now, that I didn't have then. Everything happens for a reason, every drink I drank I had to experience to get where I could say, enough is enough.

Zebra..you strung together more sober time then some people will ever have in their entire life. You have the gift of knowing what it actually feels like to go thru the holidays sober, and many other events. Some give up before ever experiencing that...and the
self-respect we earn when we remain sober those 24 hours at a time.

So, hop on the bus...go sit in a bean bag chair...and enjoy the ride!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hey Jason...good to "see" you here. Hope everything is well in your world.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Brent...ok., you win the role of cute cabana boy!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

SAW-EEEEET! I am the cute cabana boy ladies! Eat your hearts out! lol.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Brent...
Old 11-30-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Crap...my picture of Brent didn't post...let me try again.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

well, in case anybody wondered, I've been drinking up a storm until this Sunday when I went thru my worst withdrawal even after drinking some more to feel more "normal." Death would've probably felt better but I survived. I guess it means I'm back. Wish me luck.

Ocean
Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

(((Ocean))) I'm sorry you've been going through a rough time :( Get on the purple bus with us...I'm reaching my hand out into cyber-space for you! :) Hang in there...you can do this!

Love,
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hey (((thirty)))...see you popped in quickly...are you ready for pick up? It wouldn't be an adventure without you! Bring your sunscreen, sunglasses and bikini...rumor has it we've all been called down to the cabana! ;)