Penny For Your Thoughts Part 15

Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

the one i went to didn't even ask how much money i made, just an ID and a peice of mail to prove where i live. If you are a teenager, you don't need anything.

here we are in this rich country...something's just wrong, y'know?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

oh absolutely, when i think of all the food we used to collect where i worked, my kids school, church etc, it really pisses me off that anyone would go hungry.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

yeah, it's crazy. You know what i notice? It seems like everyone on TV shows these days, like sitcoms and stuff, are wealthy. i wonder if people around the world watch our shows and think everyone in America is rich?

Remember Government cheese? I remember when they first came out with that stuff...I don't know what they made it out of , but it DID NOT MELT!!! No matter what you do to it!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

i would be that they do, i know that when my dad travels for work to other countries he hates going out (in certain countries like columbia) because they beg harder when they see an american.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
President

I used to work in a school. Every holiday we would make up these humungous boxes for families in need. They would be filled with all brand new clothes, tons of food, toys for the kids, etc. I used to LOVE doing it. Until I realized that alot of the families weren't "In need." The one student's family had nerve to come up to the school in their brand new lexus with brand new fur coats on with all kinds of jewelry wearing designer clothes, to get their box. I almost threw up on her fur coat!!!!! Apparently they owned a business and didn't claim most of it. Had a house in a made up name, and received all types of state funding.... including section 8... so the government would pay their "rent"... they owned the house!!!!! Made me sooo sick!!!!

My SIL works for the welfare department. She tells us stories all the time about ppl who know how to play the system and get all this money. And then they make a home visit to find out that they live in a mansion complete with a moat, and get all the funding because they put the house in their kid's name!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

wow never, i didn't realize people that well off would pull something like that. someones always got to ruin it for the people who really need it. unbelieveable. for me, i only went to the food banks as an absolute last resort. i felt so embarrassed, i definately would not accept help if i didn't need it thats for sure.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nevergivingup View Post
I used to work in a school. Every holiday we would make up these humungous boxes for families in need. They would be filled with all brand new clothes, tons of food, toys for the kids, etc. I used to LOVE doing it. Until I realized that alot of the families weren't "In need." The one student's family had nerve to come up to the school in their brand new lexus with brand new fur coats on with all kinds of jewelry wearing designer clothes, to get their box. I almost threw up on her fur coat!!!!! Apparently they owned a business and didn't claim most of it. Had a house in a made up name, and received all types of state funding.... including section 8... so the government would pay their "rent"... they owned the house!!!!! Made me sooo sick!!!!

My SIL works for the welfare department. She tells us stories all the time about ppl who know how to play the system and get all this money. And then they make a home visit to find out that they live in a mansion complete with a moat, and get all the funding because they put the house in their kid's name!
Should turn those people in...how common is it?

You know who recieves the most welfare money from the govt, though? Corporations....Like if walmart or whatever wants to open a new store in some other country, we help pay for it...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
President

She says it's really common! Alot of people don't have incomes on the books or hide their income.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

i really hope its not too common, where are those peoples morals?? don't they think about the people who really need it?

well guys i'm off to bed, another busy hot hot day tommorrow. yuck. have a good night and great day tommorrow!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
President

She said alot of the people who really need the help don't get it because there's all these people who don't need it sucking out all the resources. Here, you need to make less then $1000/month for 2 people. An apartment here, just a studio is $1000/month. It doesn't make any sense! Anyone making that little would be sleeping in a cardboard box!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

She says it's really common! Alot of people don't have incomes on the books or hide their income.

Can't she report them or something?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
President

She does, but it takes awhile for them to find out!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Well, our cupboards are bare and bills overdue too.

Hubby is not only out of creamer, but there's no milk either.

Definately hit the convenience store and and nab some creamers!

It sux. But we have been here before and somehow always scrape by. But we don't have kids to care for. This breaks my heart!

I still have some change to scrape together to keep us fed until the 1st. We have a big carton of oatmeal and I will buy milk.

Hubby is going to have to cancel his subscription for the newspaper etc.

At least there is gas in the car. And we have a/c etc.

We just got whammied last month with some extra things that were crazy. Like a screwed up phone bill. etc. A water leak. And electrical problem ...so our utilities skyrocketed.

Next month will be tough too as we try to recoup.

And I am quitting the part time job. Sounds crazy,...but I have to. I will not be demeaned and was only making pocket change anyway. Save the gas, cook at home and we won't miss it. (sandwiches out for lunch at work)
Old 06-27-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. Live, I feel better knowing Im not alone.
Here for 1 adult and 3 kids your income has to be under 399 a week for help, I make 520. They dont care about daycare expenses and teh like, they dont care about gas prices and your power bill.
In the governments defense, if I got rid of my SUV theyd give me $25 a month in food stamps.

Here its the drug dealers wearing gold driving mercedes getting food stamps, or the woman with live in bos that dont mention them and dont work.

Like I said I did fine before everything skyrocketed in price and the power company moved their stupid billing date and then made me pay an extra deposit.

ITs funny about food banks, The second Harvest makes you show paystubs and bring kids and birth certificates.

Thank goodness my kids have medicaid. Do you know how I did that? I didnt qualify, but last year I was out of vacation days and kids were sick so I had my boss scatter my deductions over 3 paychecks that put me in the bracket for medicaid, because it showed sliding income and not salary they qualified. Thank goodness too, eyeglasses and asthma medicine is expensive.

Fortunately I feel mood wise better today, but I am oh so dragging. Off to work for me
Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

She said alot of the people who really need the help don't get it because there's all these people who don't need it sucking out all the resources. Here, you need to make less then $1000/month for 2 people. An apartment here, just a studio is $1000/month. It doesn't make any sense! Anyone making that little would be sleeping in a cardboard box!
A studio here is anywhere from $500-$700. The one I live in is $645 and I'm moving into a smaller one that is $575...Where do you live? I'm just curious, cause I am always thinking of moving to a state where it's not so cold. Mpls. is the coldest weather city (of larger cities) in the country, I hate it sometimes! I'm used to spending approx half my income on rent! And I still can't afford to get my crown that fell out of my tooth fixed!!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Okay....I still haven't got that phone call that new baby boy has popped his head out to say hi to the best mom and dad in the world and a pretty crazy mema!
I want to call so badly!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

So, wired, why not call? I'm sure they will let you know?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I was afraid to in case she was in hard labor or delivery. I just don't like to intrude or interrupt. But having had 3 wise ladies tell me to call...I did.
The first drug they used was a gentle one and did not work.
So she has just started the pystosin (sp) drip. She is hoping for noon.
I will be here antsy as hell!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

This is your grandchild your talking about, right?

iF THIS WAS MY MOM, SHE WOULD BE THERE..INVITED OR NOT!!! But that's the way she is.

(sorry I didn't mean that in caps!)

I admire your restraint...can't you go to the hosp. and wait? Or is she far away?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I am in Florida and she is in Indiana...otherwise...darn right I would be there. I got to see the first one born and will never get over it, maybe most thrilling thing ever.