Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4

Notices

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4

Old 01-10-2022, 09:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Congratulations Betty!
Old 01-10-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congrats Betty on 18 months!
Old 01-10-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Betty, Huge congrats!
Old 01-10-2022, 02:42 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

18 months is incredible BettyP - nicely done!
Old 01-10-2022, 02:58 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Sugar is the devil!! I cut it out for 24 hours and ALL MY SCARY PAWS symptoms are GONE. I think my body was acting like I was still drinking when I ate sugar. I hardly ever ate sugar before but when I stopped drinking I would get these cravings and because it wasn't alcohol, I just ate sugar. Not tons and tons, but more than I had in the past and then I noticed (didn't put two and two together) that I felt foggy, my heart was jumpy, and I almost felt hungover at times. I knew that the advice was to steer clear of sugar but did I think that meant me?? No. Well, now I get to stop sugar. LOL. The good news, is, if I can stop drinking, I can give up ANYTHING.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:28 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF;[url=tel:7750005
7750005[/url]]Sugar is the devil!! I cut it out for 24 hours and ALL MY SCARY PAWS symptoms are GONE. I think my body was acting like I was still drinking when I ate sugar. I hardly ever ate sugar before but when I stopped drinking I would get these cravings and because it wasn't alcohol, I just ate sugar. Not tons and tons, but more than I had in the past and then I noticed (didn't put two and two together) that I felt foggy, my heart was jumpy, and I almost felt hungover at times. I knew that the advice was to steer clear of sugar but did I think that meant me?? No. Well, now I get to stop sugar. LOL. The good news, is, if I can stop drinking, I can give up ANYTHING.
Same here! Sugar sent me into a tizzy during my sobriety. Not diabetic, but I became sugar sensitive. Not totally…but whenever I hit the major sweets like cake, cookies, donuts, fudge, ice cream, etc.

Good on ya for cutting sugar and feeling better.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

The sugar thing is real and helps a lot of people - do a quick google search on "gaba and sugar" and you'll see that eating too much sugar affects gaba receptors, so especially when we have so little to go around, the sugar makes a big difference! It will not always be this way, but while you're healing yes - cutting back on sugar will help!
Old 01-11-2022, 01:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Yes, sugar and coffee (caffeine specifically, decaf is fine) is very tough on your nervous system during recovery. I've set off numerous panic attacks during my early recovery just by having a cup of coffee with sugar.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:05 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
VinBx

Huge :Congrats Betty, 18 months is huge. Your almost there. Best of luck 👏👏🙏🙏
Old 01-12-2022, 04:33 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I thought the sugar thing was a fluke, but still no sugar and I'm still fine. I can't touch caffeine, and even decaf a few days in a row will bother me. I'm getting weary of herbal tea! I really want a big, pistachio latte from Starbucks, but I would pay the price for that. Oh, well.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:39 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF;[url=tel:7750868
7750868[/url]]I thought the sugar thing was a fluke, but still no sugar and I'm still fine. I can't touch caffeine, and even decaf a few days in a row will bother me. I'm getting weary of herbal tea! I really want a big, pistachio latte from Starbucks, but I would pay the price for that. Oh, well.
I can’t do caffeine either. Sends anxiety through the roof.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
I thought the sugar thing was a fluke, but still no sugar and I'm still fine. I can't touch caffeine, and even decaf a few days in a row will bother me. I'm getting weary of herbal tea! I really want a big, pistachio latte from Starbucks, but I would pay the price for that. Oh, well.
Sugar is a tricky one. I found out the more I cut it out the better I would feel. Sometimes I could get away with a treat here and there but it's better just to steer away from it completely since much like my drinking I'm not the type just to have one cookie or doughnut and walk away. And also for the next 3 days or so after having sweets my appetite goes through the roof and I want to eat more even after having a filling meal. And actually I found even after having decaf coffee I get the same way if I drink to much of it for a couple days so I have to stagger it to just a few cups a week. I know what you mean though I miss drinking real coffee, herbal tea gets boring fast.

@BettyP Congrats on the 18 months! I know it's been hard, ain't nothing about this easy. I'm a few days away from 21 months and life continues to feel like it's getting normal. I still get my irrational anxieties popping up but now it's like something in my head is starting to take over and say you know this isn't that big of a deal. I was going through my sober journal from this time last year since I remember I was in a very hellish place and talk about bringing back some bad memories! But it got me thinking how now even when I'm having a not so great day that I would of traded it for one of my bad days then and I would of thought I was having a good day!
Old 01-20-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

How’s everyone doing this week?
Old 01-20-2022, 06:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BettyP;[url=tel:7754599
7754599]How’s everyone doing this week?
Hi Betty,

Day 21 on ADs….They take 4-6 weeks to kick in and I’m trying to be patient. I have no choice. So far, it’s like having PAWS all over again. Over a year sober now, but was still struggling with low serotonin or something that lead to depression and recurring anxiety.

ADs helping so far but nothing spectacular as far as a mood lift just yet. Hoping to turn the corner and wake up one morning with a sudden change for the better.

Anyway, that just how I’m doing thus far. Thanks for asking. Hope you’re doing ok.

Intro
Old 01-20-2022, 06:22 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Overall, things are looking up -- the worst of PAWS seems to be behind me.

Gone are the complete meltdowns, anxiety levels are fading to tolerable background levels, I can drive through the streets without every red light inducing a near panic attack and I no longer am quite so desperate and despondent over every little bump in life's road. Progress!

As the worst of the symptoms fade and complacency sets in, my AV is acting up a bit lately. Knowing what PAWS is and the effect it has, though, is what is keeping me from giving in to it and having 'just a few, just this once.'

I can never drink again. The pain and despair is not worth it.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:11 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Hi Betty,

Day 21 on ADs….They take 4-6 weeks to kick in and I’m trying to be patient. I have no choice. So far, it’s like having PAWS all over again. Over a year sober now, but was still struggling with low serotonin or something that lead to depression and recurring anxiety.

ADs helping so far but nothing spectacular as far as a mood lift just yet. Hoping to turn the corner and wake up one morning with a sudden change for the better.

Anyway, that just how I’m doing thus far. Thanks for asking. Hope you’re doing ok.

Intro
Yeah, I wanted to avoid any more SSRI’s. I have been prescribed pregabalin by my psychiatrist which inhibits noradrenaline (flight or fight response) and dear old glutamate. It’s the sequel to gabapentin which is known for alleviating alcohol withdrawal. I will let you know how I get on. Waiting for prescription to come through. She said it will stop all of this and looking at the reviews on drugs.com I am hopeful. Also said she rarely sees anyone build a tolerance to them. She said she has many people on it long term. Good luck all.

the funny part is i went back to the psychiatrist because I was have a wave from hell but now having an amazing window whilst I’m waiting for the delivery. Lol. PAWS at least has sense of humour.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Time marches on, it seems! To Ant and Inrovertd - the key w the psych drugs is to be completely transparent with your doctor about how you're feeling and advocate for yourself. If it's not working, or you're not digging it, say so.
Introvertd, I think it took about six weeks for me to feel any sort of mood lifting from my AD - the real success of it for me was that I could eat and sleep, which went a long way toward nervous system healing. You're doing great, and and I know I was disappointed in myself for leaning on another drug to get off a drug, it's as temporary as you need it to be, and you're working with a doctor. PAWS is brutal - it's ok to have some extra help in your toolkit to get through this!
Old 01-21-2022, 03:20 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BettyP;[url=tel:7755100
7755100[/url]]Time marches on, it seems! To Ant and Inrovertd - the key w the psych drugs is to be completely transparent with your doctor about how you're feeling and advocate for yourself. If it's not working, or you're not digging it, say so.
Introvertd, I think it took about six weeks for me to feel any sort of mood lifting from my AD - the real success of it for me was that I could eat and sleep, which went a long way toward nervous system healing. You're doing great, and and I know I was disappointed in myself for leaning on another drug to get off a drug, it's as temporary as you need it to be, and you're working with a doctor. PAWS is brutal - it's ok to have some extra help in your toolkit to get through this!

Thank you for saying that Betty. It’s encouraging.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey folks, how's everyone feeling this weekend?
Old 01-23-2022, 06:51 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Just over 30 months and feeling really good !!