Notices

At the end of my rope

Old 11-03-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
p***enger

Sleepie, did you eat anything decent today?

I eat a lot of crackers and butter, peanut butter, plain yogurt, rice and beans, lean meat. Those are the staples of my diet. I don't stray too far. Bananas. Drinking then & stress still mad/ke me perennially pre-ulcerous, but those things rarely bother my stomach.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

I find warm/hot chicken broth very soothing, sleepie; it is my first go-to food when I am not feeling well.

Sending you love, sleepie.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

These are good... I feel like little self care things make a world of difference when I'm feeling very low and nothing else helps. A good hot shower, long as I please. Tea. Soft socks. Relaxing warm fuzzy thangs.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I had a packet of almond butter. And some coffee.

I need to be able to talk about this. That is how it works for me. There are other threads all over as many as there are different types of people.

Another member here said once that in a book they read, with anxiety it is as if a person's leg is on fire and they need to say "Hey my leg is on fire" and talk of it... it is akin to that. I don't exactly recall how it was said of course much better than I did here... if this thread was closed I would be devastated and surely spiral into an even worse place.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
p***enger

I understand. It's ok w/me if you write when you feel at your worst. I trust your strength & I trust us to remind you of how strong you are.

Actually I kind of admire you for the negativity of some of your writing. I know that sounds weird, but I'm weird! You're vivid, is what I mean. That will be a wonderful thing some good day.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

I like that .... vivid...
Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Okay.. maybe I am just tapping in to my personal fears about spiraling and relapse.. see myself mirrored in so many of your statements..

Just worried for you. I never thought I would care that a stranger would reject my caring (not because you're being unkind, but because you can not use it, and don't need it, which is fine)... it messes with my worldview a lot.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Back when I took all the neuro psych testing, I scored really high on a couple things- one was vocab and the other was reading people.

Like basically I can read people is what I got from that. I'm a genius at it so don't even try and lie to me LOL...

But I would attribute it quite a bit to being on HIGH alert my 1st 20 years of life as to always having to know how the storms would turn in a sea of abuse.

Vocab I dunno, no friends but for books and tons of social rejection.

I am tired and dull lately though.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

It isn't that I don't care Brenda as a matter of fact I think you are rather accurate and keen on some things that others may find a bit elusive. And as much as one can over the internet and though we have only just met here, I like you as well.

I get that you care and I do appreciate that- but if this makes sense... I need to be cared for in the way that feels right to me? And no fault of anyone's if they cannot do that.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Actually, speaking of which- this book that I found to be really intriguing:

The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook--What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love, and Healing

A really interesting read. I need to re-read... it has been about 13 years! But I wonder is anyone else familiar.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

The next book on my reading list is one on healing from childhood abuse. I read a few personal stories of amazing women who overcame it and was very inspired to begin doing the work. I never knew I COULD.

Mom says "get over it". Mom never went through it. Mom can only ever get it on an intellectual level. And it's not to "get over", it's to work through it.

Mom doesn't understand that to tell a person, who was victimized starting at a very young age and only knows how to be a victim, to simply "get over it", invalidates the only version of "self" that they know.

(But she's let off the hook because she doesn't know she doesn't know it)
Old 11-03-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

What book?
Old 11-03-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Here is a description of the one I mentioned:

In beautifully written, fascinating accounts of experiences working with emotionally stunted and traumatized children, child psychiatrist Perry educates readers about how early-life stress and violence affects the developing brain. He offers simple yet vivid illustrations of the stress response and the brain's mechanisms with facts and images that crystallize in the mind without being too detailed or confusing. The stories exhibit compassion, understanding and hope as Perry paints detailed, humane pictures of patients who have experienced violence, sexual abuse or neglect, and Perry invites the reader on his own journey to understanding how the developing child's brain works. He learns that to facilitate recovery, the loss of control and powerlessness felt by a child during a traumatic experience must be counteracted. Recovery requires that the patient be "in charge of key aspects of the therapeutic interaction." He emphasizes that the brain of a traumatized child can be remolded with patterned, repetitive experiences in a safe environment. Most importantly, as such trauma involves the shattering of human connections, "lasting, caring connections to others" are irreplaceable in healing; medications and therapy alone cannot do the job. "Relationships are the agents of change and the most powerful therapy is human love," Perry concludes. (Jan.)
Old 11-03-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Rescuing The Inner Child.. It is geared towards childhood sexual abuse, I don't have a synopsis, just going off the subtitle.

I am going to work on some less deep issues before that.. I'm taking away layers like an onion.. :P

I'm getting to know the woman I am underneath all the pain underneath all the **** I used to cover the pain... It is much like getting to know a best friend I never knew I always had. It's the fun part.

I will go back and visit my inner child soon and she will know she can trust me.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Another night alone. I wish I had anyone IRL
Old 11-04-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Sigh... all I can think is "I got what I deserved"... for being weak. For being stupid. For not being perfect in sobriety, for being depressed, anxious... for being unable to muster even a false "positive" persona as I have had to IRL so many times. For not jumping into a perfect diet and exercise routine from the get-go...

Surely I am being punished for all of it.

I did it all wrong. Like I always have.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
sober style

Back in black. Hang in there, sleepie!
Old 11-04-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

You're not weak or stupid and nobody, but nobody is perfect.

Instead of a "false" positive persona, how about trying a "true" one?

Once again I have to ask, how's all that negative thinking working out for you?

You love to read. There's a lot of "positive thinking" books out there. Try one, you might actually like it
Old 11-04-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Sigh... all I can think is "I got what I deserved"... for being weak. For being stupid. For not being perfect in sobriety, for being depressed, anxious... for being unable to muster even a false "positive" persona as I have had to IRL so many times. For not jumping into a perfect diet and exercise routine from the get-go...

Surely I am being punished for all of it.

I did it all wrong. Like I always have.
Up to a point, circumstances are the result of decisions we've made.

Example
Someone I know has been dealing with bladder incontinence. Pretty common but very embarrassing. She was gonna go to the doctor and tell them fix it. But instead she researched it and saw that she can do a few things to help herself.

The learns that she needs to lose weight because her belly is putting pressure on her bladder and she leaks. She's not going to go and lose weight overnight but she's gonna start going to the gym to use the treadmill and swap out liquid calories for more water. She will start seeing a difference over time and eventually the symptom should resolve, and if it doesn't she will go to the doctor.

But she's not sitting around with wet pants feeling sorry for herself because she let her weight creep up and she deserves this.

My point of telling you all this is... we actually accept too many things that we are fully capable of working on. Making one tiny proactive effort, in any area, makes a huge difference.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Why was I so anxious and depressed? I knew why. It was time to start chipping away at things. It ****ing hurt, but I wasn't going to live that way.