Notices

At the end of my rope

Old 10-31-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Yeah, insurance is pretty complicated. I've been on so many different plans - it's hard to keep up. When I need to use it I always have some fubar glitch that has to be ironed out with eleventy-seven phone calls to everybody and his brother, too.

Call four different times, get four different answers. I just keep calling until I get the answer I want, and I always get it if I talk to enough people. The last time I used my medical I (seriously) spent three weeks making phone calls and talked to nine different people at the same number (for the insurance) before I finally got my procedure covered. I just had to find the right sympathetic person.

But I do know I'm not covered for dental or vision. It says so right there...~~>>
Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
but like my lovely grandmother used to say, "You only get one set of teeth."
Not true. I have two sets.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi Sleeps.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I know, who needs eyes or teeth.

Hi SR

and Trach
Old 10-31-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Also the endless, life consuming phone calls. Jesus. Nobody ever gets back to you with pertinent information regarding your health in a timely manner. You have to call and call... and the calls to insurance like you mentioned Bimini.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Stopped by to say hi, Sleeps. I hear you on all of it. I went undiagnosed with my stomach problem for a long time. Just sort of pushed off by the docs. Very frustrating...stay with it though!

D.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi Delfin! Thank you for stopping by...!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Walking around at night alone. Nothing abates this anxiety.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm also one of those without dental insurance. I didn't go to a dentist for over 20 years! After about 2 years sober, one of my teeth got badly infected, so I finally got the courage up to see the dentist. Since then, I've had two molars pulled and 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I now go for a cleaning every 6 months. Although I don't have dental insurance, my dentist does take a discount plan that's saved me quite a bit over the past few years. It does pay to look around for such programs.

I was also deathly afraid of doctors, but now see mine every 6 months. I NEVER would've done so when I was drinking.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

FBL, I was afraid of my own shadow by the end of my not-so-illustrious drinking and benzo/anti-anxiety meds career.

I still went to the doctors and dentist though. I was more afraid of not going.

How's it goin this morning, sleepie?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I'm also one of those without dental insurance. I didn't go to a dentist for over 20 years! After about 2 years sober, one of my teeth got badly infected, so I finally got the courage up to see the dentist. Since then, I've had two molars pulled and 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I now go for a cleaning every 6 months. Although I don't have dental insurance, my dentist does take a discount plan that's saved me quite a bit over the past few years. It does pay to look around for such programs.

I was also deathly afraid of doctors, but now see mine every 6 months. I NEVER would've done so when I was drinking.
I'm not sure about your state, but here in Va, you can get almost free dental work done at State colleges. I had a friend get an abscess fixed and a root canal done doing that. It would have cost him roughly$5,000 to do it out of pocket, I think he paid less than $200.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Horrible. I cannot wrap my mind around why life has to crap on me. And why people have to treat me like garbage, and why do my efforts never pay off, ever.

The anxiety from this whole situation and totally unrewarding 10 months of sobriety is actually making me wish I would just pass in my sleep and not wake up again.

I am sick of everything being a struggle. Everything. I have never had a carefree period on my life and now I never will. I never had just one, brief period where things were just "ok" and it has destroyed me.

I am all out of whatever motivation I had before to even try anymore, I am done. I am worn out and I have had to fight for every, last little shred of a thing my entire life. And now I am just really mad at all the people who sat there telling me I "worry too much" these last 10 months. Would you ever say such a thing to a person with any other mental ailment? How terrible.

Anyway, yeah... I can't anymore. Life beat it out of me.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

It might be time for mods to lock up because I don't think there's anything that can be said that would not make things worse...
Old 11-01-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

That's for sleepie's protection, not because of anything else.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

If you think life is terrible now, just wait until you pick up your first drink. Do you really want to go back to that?

I would seriously ask for you to think about the message you are sending with these threads.
Can you remember how hard it was for you to get sober? What if people with a decent amount of sobriety time were constantly writing about how unrewarding it was when you were struggling? Would you have gotten sober? Would you have given up?

My point is that there are likely people reading here thinking about getting sober, or staying sober. The message your sending is not one of hope and could completely discourage someone from staying or getting sober. This could be life and death for them.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

NO! Now come on! That is exactly what is going to push her farther in the wrong direction, you could be seriously pushing her over the edge right now!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
NO! Now come on! That is exactly what is going to push her farther in the wrong direction, you could be seriously pushing her over the edge right now!
I stand by my message. She has a responsibility to this community as well and this has been going on for a LONG time.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
If you think life is terrible now, just wait until you pick up your first drink. Do you really want to go back to that?

I would seriously ask for you to think about the message you are sending with these threads.
Can you remember how hard it was for you to get sober? What if people with a decent amount of sobriety time were constantly writing about how unrewarding it was when you were struggling? Would you have gotten sober? Would you have given up?

My point is that there are likely people reading here thinking about getting sober, or staying sober. The message your sending is not one of hope and could completely discourage someone from staying or getting sober. This could be life and death for them.
I see your point Strat, but it would have gone right over my head when I was in a similar position. Sober 3 or 4 months, living in "absolute squalor" according to a visiting nurse's report, so miserable and disconnected I couldn't even get out of bed, no friends, partners, money or job, completely wrapped up in my own mess, the last thing I thought about was anyone else. Maybe that's why they say you had to get sober for yourself.

I had rejected all proven methods of recovery in favour of my own, was unable to find a new solution to life, and so finished up returning to the old solution. I am living proof of Einstein's belief that a problem cannot be fixed by the same consciousness that created it in the first place.

Just my experience. Of course, they like to say, everyone is different.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi sleepie.

I like you I think you're worth it I think you're important and amazing and I'm grateful that you're part of my experience of life.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Strat, all that will happen is she will withdraw. The community owes her, too.

sleepie, don't go away. You are invaluable to me. I wish I could extend my shell and shield you from the pain. If you want to avoid the forums, so be it. Stay in touch with me, OK?