Notices

Hen House Talk- All are Welcome, Part 55

Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

TB - Prayers on good results all the way.

I helped Bev and her friend on the yard today, just enough to get a little but of sun on my face and get hot and sweaty. I will be so glad when the riding lawn mower gets back.

Friend left carport door open, Tiger escaped but found him on the other side of the house in the bushes.

Not very chatty, today - I'm fine, just feeling lazy and will read my book for a while.

Love to all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

K, Amy......You've got me hook, line and sinker. 1100 pages, not Michener, Stephen King or fantasy writer....who, what are you reading?

Good news on the tests, TB, YAY!

We went to goodwill instead which I had practically wiped out but there has been a new book donor.

I would bolt long before I would spend that long in Wal-Mart. David usually goes. I will have to go to get haircolor but it will be an in and out mission.

I have misplaced my glasses and it is freaking me out. they were expensive, I can't afford to replace them. moan.

hugs to all,
T
Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Good morning HH

Hugs to all
TB
Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Live - it's called Season of the Harvest by L. R. Hicks? It's supposed to be one of 3 books, moves pretty fast. If I fall asleep reading it, I have to go back and read the last couple of pages to remember what is going on but I do like it.

I only have reading glasses and raise hello about paying for them, hope you find yours.

Mr. C was really grumpy (have found out it correlates with the barometric pressure, just like Skipper's seizures used to - the vet taught me that). It's pouring down rain, was humid but just a little thunder and rain.

TB - love, hugs and prayers

I am in a bit of shock, but bratkin wants to spend Mother's day with her hubby, baby, dad and I. Time depends on whether hubby has a trip for dad or not, and we are deciding between two different restaurants.

For those who know all we've been through, as a family, this really means a lot.

I realized I was wrong about g'ma's b'day being the same as Jay's (Sun) - it was today. I'm okay, but a bit tearful - her, mom, sm, my uncle Joe, uncle Bob and on and on. Mostly I miss my mom.

I have mine, her's and dad's Sr. pictures in the purple room on shelves. I took a picture of the picture - so young, so full of life. So gone. On a good note, had a butterfly come by so she was here.

Oh yeah, took stuff back to PetSmart that my cats had no interest in or Mots was too fat for. Got him a medium DOG harness. OMG, you'd think I was trying to kill him!!! He and Sam met, sniffed noses, got Mots out in the back yard and he truly thought his back legs wouldn't work? They worked just FINE getting back in the house.

Herding cats and getting cats to walk with harness and collar are not easy. Trust me. Jay - Any suggestions? I'm going to look it up and I really need to get the harness adjusted right (first time, he got right out of it). I'm thinking getting it adjusted right and putting him in it randomly, to let him get used to it MIGHT work?

I will post pictures later. He's fine, now, acts like nothing happened. Sam was hoping he had a new buddy

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

Amy: I can only imagine MOTS in the harness and how funny/frustrating that little adventure was for the both of y'all! LOL The only way I could manage to train my dogs to walk on a leash was with treats. I'd hold one out in front of them at the end of the leash. Then say "Come"! The treat was worth the walk. They learned real fast if they allowed me to pull them on the leash? They got awarded for it. Always use one word in commands. "Come here" is not the correct way! I worked at a Training Facility in Charleston SC years ago. Learned all the tricks from there on training my pets.

That is really nice Bratkin wants to spend Sunday with you and dad. Becoming a mother is helping her to grow up!

I received texts with pictures of my grandkids in MD! They are so cute and growing up so fast. Granddaughter looks so much like myself at that age! And yes TB! She has the same fat cheeks and freckles too!

On the news last night it showed a HS student that is 7ft tall. He had to duck to get into the gym doors! Wonder how he finds a bed long enough to sleep in? And he wears a size 22 shoe!

The Vet cleaned out Dorothy's ear yesterday and found a hole in her eardrum! Finally the problem has been resolved! Now she just needs time to heal!

TOD
Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

TOD - Check out the whiner's thread for pics of Mots in his harness. Good thing he can't call 911 for abuse, or he'd have done it.

Glad you got pics of the grandkids. That's why I am on FB - I get to see my nieces, nephews and THEIR kids from far away.

Bev just called, sounds like her oldest son has messed up his back (done something to a disc). I told her who I'd call/see and what I think he needs (from experience with a herniated disc) and she is going to call me back.

Gotta admit, it's nice when she calls and said "I need your help" and I can actually do something, as much as they've done for me. Her boys are awesome and there's nothing I wouldn't do for them. This one just happens to get internet and all TV channels for free (no cable, no internet) because he's a computer guru - gonna see if he can hook me up to the same If not, no big deal.

Oh yeah, they have a pool and so do the C's kids that live next door to them. I'm going to be spending time at one of the pools this summer, but really have to loose some weight

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Hope only good results come your way ((TB)).

Glad you got stuff figured out with Dorothy, ((TOD)).

((Amy)) - I have no experience training cats on harness, but perhaps it's like some dogs that don't like harness that you have to train to walk and move around in. I'm not sure about the walking part, but putting it on randomly for really short periods and longer periods while Mots is in the house lazing about might allow him to get used to it. Perhaps he'll take a snooze with it on and realize he still wakes up and nothing bad happened. He might run under the bed, let him do his thing. Once he's used to it inside, then try to take him outside with it on. I have no idea if this will work, but that's what I think to do. Is Mots very food responsive? Can you lure him with treats to walk around in a harness? Personally, I find that Sasha is not that food motivated...they're not quite like dogs that way. I can't speak for Mots though.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jay - That's exactly what I was thinking. It was pretty hard to adjust the harness with him flip-flopping around and running for cover, so I'm not sure I have it to the right fit.

I thought I'd just put him in it when I'm home and we are chilling. Right now, he's laying in the kitchen beside me like nothing ever happened.

I just can't let him go out on his own. Sam knows about the coyotes and other critters, Mots doesn't have a clue. It was pretty sweet seeing Sam come up and give Mots Eskimo Kisses Mots didn't hiss or snarl, I think Sam just knew that Mots was scared, and he stood to the side.

I have to admit, harnessing Mots was darned near as hard as harnessing Cody, the horse! Just now, though, I was outside and he was standing at the door when I came in

Just found out that bratkin's hubby's cousin KILLED someone today? Wow. We have decided on the restaurant, just need to set a time. Can't WAIT to spend time with the bratkins and get pictures of BB

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: Checked out the pictures! All of them! That Cody is pretty demanding isn't he? LOL He needs a large ball in the pasture to kick around! MOTS has the look of "F" You! Mom you have lost your ever loving mind!

The words Lose and Loose are used in the wrong way so often! I had to laugh when you said; I need to "loose" some pounds before getting into the pool scene! If you "loose" them they will just jiggle around even more! And I know you don't want that to happen!!!

Jay: How's the job going? Are you thinking about doing something in college that revolves around animals?

Chicory: Bless you for being such a wonder worker at your job! It's nice to have ppl in their jobs that actually cares about them. The week is almost over! And btw? How are the arrangements priced? I've always wondered about that!

Mom got her FTD flowers yesterday! She loves them and said they are just beautiful! She's been working some long hard days at the church. It seems everything has been moved to the Church grounds. Everyone is now being directed to them for everything! She said the Preacher locked himself in his office yesterday so he could prepare a sermon for Sunday. She said he's stretching himself thin! I can only imagine!

TOD
Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: What in the world happened with hubby's cousin in the killing of someone? Was it an accident or on purpose? Man!

TOD
Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

TOD - don't know, can't find the information on the 'net yet. Dad was looking, too. Mr. Bratkin's got a lot of hoodlums in his family, but he is a really great guy. He's got a few faults (who doesn't?) but I absolutely adore him and vice versa.

Going out, one more time, to snuggle with Sam then heading to the bedroom. Have probably spent way too much time on the laptop, using up data, but whatever.

Dad got us chicken wings for dinner (we split it). Tiger is sitting at my feet asking for more, more, more. Now Mots is beside her. Welcome to my zoo!!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-10-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Morning Hen House! Haven't made it to bed yet! Was listening to a group of Owls last night surrounding me in the backyard. It was so cool to hear all the different sounds they made. I got a bunch of recordings of them. One of them sounded like a clown Owl! This is the first time I've heard that one!

And then later on the coyotes started raising hell right underneath where the Owls were earlier. Sure am glad our property is fenced in now. They were really close! I was outside with Molly when they cranked up.

TOD
Old 05-10-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by Live View Post
K, Amy......You've got me hook, line and sinker. 1100 pages, not Michener, Stephen King or fantasy writer....who, what are you reading?

Good news on the tests, TB, YAY!

We went to goodwill instead which I had practically wiped out but there has been a new book donor.

I would bolt long before I would spend that long in Wal-Mart. David usually goes. I will have to go to get haircolor but it will be an in and out mission.

I have misplaced my glasses and it is freaking me out. they were expensive, I can't afford to replace them. moan.

hugs to all,
T
Well I know you are in book Heaven with the new donation! I'll have to remember to donate all my books to Goodwill in the future. I'm sure there are many others that wait for them to appear!

So I guess you have Gremlins like Amy does. Always losing/misplacing things. Jethro finally got himself some of those strings that he can put around his neck to keep track of his glasses. Most of the time though. I tell him to look on top of his head! LOL I only need the dollar store lowest grade glasses for reading. Stop and think about which pocket you put it in? That's usually where they end up being found!

TOD
Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I bought a pretty beaded glasses holder for around my neck that I just loved but it broke and I did not replace it. damn. I don't wear my glasses around the house much, I have to take them off to read or write (type) but I really need them when I leave the house or when I sit in the back chair and watch a show with David. I think the last time I wore them was in Wal-Mart to grab some books. There are 4 places that I usually take them off and lay them down. Not in any of those, so I am bumfuddled. I know I didn't feel the best that day and came home and started reading that day and also laid down in bed so I am wondering if I might have absent mindly taken them off in the bedroom, if so..they are not in plain sight. I usually know where they are so this is an anomoly....a worrisome and aggravating one at that.
The only things that hide out in my pockets are lighters and chapsticks, in fact, I count on that. Most of what I wear now does not have pockets.

There was one lady that beat me to the "new" books, I told David I wanted to mug her and see what she had. lol

I read the Secret Life of Bees that had good critical reviews. It was good for a change up from the pulp fiction thrillers i read, but don't consider it a keeper.

And, yes, there are many people who buy books at second hand stores, TOD.
It can be an expensive addiction if you don't.

David usually keeps track of the Kindle but he says I put it in a drawer while organizing and announced that is where it belonged as I didn't have a particular place for it before. Ha. I could find it next to my chair or the bed before. I figure I will run across it sooner or later. I haven't really searched for it.

I have shuffled so much around lately. and my short time memory is impaired. ugh. that is why I can't work in my field anymore. My meds make it worse.

Sitting outside listening to owls brings back some very fond memories. I always loved living out in the country.

My sister has a bengalf3 and is a city kitty, Isabelle is leash trained but she was introduced right away from the get go. I can't imagine trying to leash train Tom all grown and independent.

That's a trip about Mr B's cousin, Amy. Kind of gives one the heebie jeebies.

I am waiting for my coffee to kick in as my night meds give me a sleepy hangover. Better when I take them earlier, but I stay up with David.

hugs to all,
T
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Just stopping by TB..to say you are in my thoughts and prayers..I know
you understand me ..hugs dear one..always hoping for the best outcome
for you.Love it that you had the kitties cleaned and polished up..too cute
for words from me..you are precious..always believe that. Our HP knows
your heart and mine..we make and made mistakes and he will give us the
gifts that we need..I do believe in intervention through others on this
earth..I know that you appreciate the intervention that you have had. I am
also more than happy~~pleased ~~ and well..glad that you are comfortable
with your new income..sorry I don't understand it all being from up north..yet
you sound comfortable in a different way.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Live.. you are the sweetest person..I know that I can't be the only
one to see this about you..honestly .. everything will reveal itself and
then you can chuckle how it was right there all the time!!!!

lauren
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

TOD - Forgot to mention, way back, that I've always given Cody apples for treats. We had sugar cubes we found, but weren't sure that they weren't decades old (when we were cleaning up) so he didn't get them. Will get him some carrots when I remember.

Live - Aunt Phyllis volunteers at a used book store in Arkansas that is awesome - you would want to move in there! Since she works and donates, when I was there she loaded me up with books. Dad and I donated a Lot to Goodwill. We have, probably hundreds, of books in the basement but they've been in mildew and mold so will be thrown away.

Lauren - Mrs. Butterworth You have such a way with words.

Mr. C was grumpy this morning but it went okay. Mrs. C's SIL is dying - they are talking about hospice. Her hubby (Mrs. C's brother) has a tracheostomy and has the voice thing but most people can't understand him (I can, most of it). The entire family is on edge, Ben is on edge with that and that her son is still in a lot of pain and the ER is telling him he needs an ortho dr. It's Sat., I told her to see if the place she took me when I got kicked by Cody was open.

Tomorrow is still on for dinner and I'm thrilled.

Got my fitbit thing and have found ways to add steps to my normally sitting mode. I used a trick we used to use with Mr. D - We'd take him to grocery store, say "oh, I forgot about..." and walk him all OVER that store. I just walked up and down each aisle.

It was 98% humidity, earlier, not much better now. Wish it would just rain and get over it.

Jay - I forgot to say, as fat as Most is? He's not really food motivated. I'm going to put the harness on him, randomly, when I'm home and we're chilling. I was going to get just a collar, but I've never seen a collar that a can't get out of. Mots got out of the harness the first time I put it on him.

Bev just called. They still aren't sure what's going on with her son's back, ER gave him mess and told him to see an ortho dr. She was in the hospital where Mrs C's SIL is, checked on her. She said she looks jaundiced, which is not good. We are praying she makes it through the weekend, as it is Mother's day tomorrow and I know it's just one day, but that's a correlation that is really hard to deal with for families.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Good lord. I wish for one night that I could just sleep and wake up in the morning in a nice manner. To birds and sunlight or something.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Happy Birthday Mr Jay!

TOD
Old 05-10-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Happy Mother's Day!

TOD