Notices

Hen House Talk- All are Welcome, Part 55

Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Jay's birthday is May 11 all.
(He told us yesterday).

I am 15 months sober today, so that is nice hey?

And yes TB love, your scars mark your strength. (((hugs)))

Love to all in the HH,

V xx
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Venus: Congrat's on the clean months!

So Jay's BD is on Mother's Day this year! Cool!

TOD
Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Yeah...sometimes it overlaps like that...

Congrats on your 15 months ((Venus))!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Thanks (((TB))) for sharing that . it was beautiful. I take it , you feel like that a lot, when you share your joy of recovery with others?

Just imagining the joy of feeling freed from addiction and its bondage. and knowing its a gift to hold tight to.

(((Jay)))) ooh, on the snake musk. I take it, we are not talking the musk fragrances in stores? So,... never buy snake musk.

(((Amy))) sounds like the kitties are getting used to each other. wont be long till they get even more curious, instead of nervous, and maybe they will play? wouldn't that be great?

so good to hear that Jethro is better, Tod, and working on his car. I take it his lung issues have gotten better? I hope so, anyway.
I don't know the names of many of the small flowers in yards. perhaps they are flowers from some grasses? or weeds? thats ok, my chicory is a weed, but my favorite flower.

Lenina, hope things work out for you to make it to your friends retirement party. that is big stuff. I wore my dangly earrings, today-little wooden cat heads..lololol

Live, I love reading, snuggled up in a blanket. I don't get to do that often. I never pick good books. and unless it is really good, my adhd gets in the way... hope you had a great day!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Thank you Jay and TOD. (((hugs)))

V xx
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

((Tb)) Happy Belated Birthday..

((Venus)) congratulations ..way to go!

((Norty)) I am so happy for you..things will only get better now that
you can have your own little nest.

((Jay)) Happy Early Birthday..just in case I forget.

To all have a good day..snowy and cold here..I am tucked in with lots of
blankets and heating pads..the fireplace is on..crazy place at times. At
the dog park people we saying Merry Christmas to each other..with big
smirks..

lauren
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Venus! 15 months is an inspiration to so many here on SR!

Chicory, I laughed about your dangly earrings.
I, too, always snuggle with a blanket while reading...I am a true book addict....from a young age.
I have almost wiped out Goodwill of all books I would read.

I have some suggestions for you tho these are not new books but are truly outstanding, classics to be imo.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. This book is set in the ancient world based on Bible characters. The details of daily life is mind blowing. How did/does she do that?? She brings the characters and culture to life and just amazes as she retells the stories. The last girlfriend I shared it with was as enthralled as I was.

The Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseine, a gripping story with many sub plots and cultural insight into Afghanistan and an examination of moral ethics and dilemnas. and of friendship.

An old but tried and true: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, again a culture in the far past with intriguing characters and layers of plots. The beginning grabs and shocks you and you are hooked for the ride.

All are available on amazon and probably available at the library. and these are books you will get lost in. I have bought and given away copies so that they aren't even in my library anymore. Friends fall in love with them and I say, please keep it.

If you tell me what kind of books you enjoy, I am sure I can come up with other recommendations. I also enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author as the Kite Runner.

Another favorite is The Grapes of Wrath....John Steinbeck.

All of these books travel thro time and cultures and are superbly written and engaging. a mind vacation.

I don't read sci-fi or romances but anything else is fair game.

I ran out of books to read and was reading National Geographic last night....and I don't much care for magazines.

I will have to go book shopping again today.
As you can see, you have hit upon one of my great passions.
Unfortunately I read so much I forget titles pretty rapidly.

I would be interested to hear others' favorites.

There is a thread in the basement where people name their all time favorite books.
I will go check that out, been awhile since I visited.

hugs to all HH'ers!
T
Old 05-04-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Good afternoon HH

Hugs to all
TB
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

How could I forget the small powerhouse "Delores Claiborne"? I don't like Stephen King but this one is the exception. As Delores begins to tell her story, you will be charmed by her dialect, her plain spokenness and her fierce strength. Dealt a hand in life of the most difficult sort but unfortunately all too common, her secrets and private battle reveals her silent and hidden motives and actions to handle them. Is she a criminal or a mom and wife pushed beyond endurance?

Also The Reader by Bernard Schlink set in Germany during and post WWII, another story of complicated motives and morals.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Congratulations Venus!!

Jay - just found out you and my g'ma have the same birthday. If he's not working, Sun, I will probably go to his house. It's the first mothers day without sm and his mom.

Bratkin came by, didn't even realize mothers day is Sun. I just want to make sure she is with someone if her hubby has to work.

Told her it was a good thing I really loved her as I had to spackle most of one wall where she had taped stuff and it ripped off the paint. I sanded, spackled and painted until my hands started cramping up. I still have a little more than 2 walls and that's just the first coat of primer!

I'm out with Sam, who has become a real snuggler. Yes, the other 2 are curious but tolerating each other. Now if Mots would quit waking me up at 4a.m.

I'm going to take a long hot bath as I am covered with paint, then curl up with another book. Yes, a blanket is part of the whole reading experience

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-04-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

Live: You are like my mom! She doesn't care though what the inside of the book covers are about. She reads them all! She crawls up in her bed, lies on her back and props one calf on top of her other knee. Then she softly moves from side to side while reading her book. Or she's in her recliner reading or outside on the porch in a lawn chair reading. There's always a small dog on each side of her as well!

I love reading too! I just haven't found the time since I've become more active with internet friends! Plus the kids want my attention all the time too. I have books all over the place waiting to be read or have already been read. I don't read the type of books you listed though. I'm more into the fictional stuff! Allows me time away from the real world stuff. You might find these books worth reading though. Once you start them it's hard to put down. My mom read them out loud to dad because she was enjoying the read so much. It's about Bloodhound dogs and how this woman trained them for hunting the lost and other people. Truly interesting and entertaining. You'll be laughing and crying while reading them.

Something Amy might want to suggest to her dog trainer friend too?

About Virginia Lanier

An author who penned the popular "Bloodhound" series of mystery books, including "The House on Bloodhound Lane", "A Brace of Bloodhounds", "Blind Bloodhound Justice" and the just-released "A Bloodhound to Die For", who published her first book at age 65, died Oct. 27 in Fargo, GA after a long illness at age 72.

Series

Bloodhound
1. Death in Bloodhound Red (1995)
2. The House on Bloodhound Lane (1996)
3. A Brace of Bloodhounds (1997)
4. Blind Bloodhound Justice (1998)
5. Ten Little Bloodhounds (1998)
6. A Bloodhound to Die for (2003)
7. Bark M for Murder (2006) (with J A Jance, Lee Charles Kelley and Chassie West)

TOD
Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

oh, wow, getting a pencil and paper to copy down these great reading suggestions! I love to read, but as I said, I pick the wrong books.
I loved Stephen kings, tommy knockers
grapes of wrath
thornbirds
the cat who. series by lillian jackson braun
to kill a mockingbird

but those books sound wonderful, heard the kiterunner is really good, but tugs at the heart big time.

I have such a week coming up, I am beside myself dreading it. after mothers day I will be so relieved. I am getting in enough stuff tomorrow that I will have no where to put it. but it will sell down, I refill, and so it goes. they want a huge amount of arrangements this time. ugh. I must rest and not worry. it will all work out.

love and hugs to all.
chicory
Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I know y'all don't read these kinds of books, but I have! I was reading a series of books on Werewolves, Loupgarus, etc. This werewolf female hunter had set up a large cage in this open field to catch one. She was in the top of a tree with a dart rifle waiting for it.

Here I am! Sitting in this room that hadn't even been fully enclosed yet reading this book!

The moon is full and bright here and in the book! Then the woman hears the howl of the werewolf! Into the open field it appears. It turns to sniff the air and sees her in the tree. It lets out a long howl!

Right as the howl is starting in the book! The damned coyotes close to the house start howling as well! I slammed the book shut and headed inside for the night! Enough of that howling business in the dark!

I love how writers can pull a person right into their stories!

TOD
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I can just imagine the chills and goosebumps on your arms!

nighty nite all. dont let the werewolves bite!

besides, you have your watchdog there, gosh, names go missing,, but he will protect you, Tod!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

TOD ~ I just watched a TV series about a werewolves (well it is people drama, but they are werewolves) called Bitten. I loved it.

Hugs for all in the HH,

V xx
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Chicory: Oh it was funny for sure! I was still sleeping with Jethro back then and I woke him up snuggling tightly behind him. LOL The forgotten name on my dog is "Magnum"!

Venus: I'm waiting to watch "Bitten" on the internet when I can watch the shows back to back. I'm just finishing up "Tomorrow's People" right now. Lot's of shows out there I missed because of others being on at the same time. I've been watching the new one "The 100" too. It's a good one IMO! It's also on CW on the internet!

Back to cooking supper!

TOD
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
have your watchdog there, gosh, names go missing,, but he will protect you, Tod!
Magnum . I swear, I remember animal names better than I do people names... I can still name every dog on the street I lived on when I was six or seven. The people? Not so much...

I cannot say I'm much of a reader...at least not stuff you guys would like. I find either my attention span is too short, or the books I pick turn out to be boring/the author is awful at writing/the characters are not relatable. To be honest, one of my all time favorite "books" is a graphic novel (well, a series of novels) called Bone by Jeff Smith. The series' books could be easily understood by a ten year old, but the illustrations and the story are great. I picked it up in a weird way (I'll spare you all the story) when I was 18 and loved it. I didn't even feel like it was too young for me when I read it. It's very imaginative, not realistic whatsoever but the characters and illustrations (in color, the black and white compendium is no good) really make it.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Okay, now I have to share with you all my favorite character from Bone cause you have me thinking about it. The Great Red Dragon, cause how can you not love a dragon with bunny ears who occasionally smokes a cigar and is, just in general, a total badass?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Well now THAT's a new one! Never heard about the Red Dragon before!

TOD
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

He's my hero