Notices

Normal or Not Normal on Heroin

Old 06-12-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Normal or Not Normal on Heroin

I have to apologize first, maybe this is not the correct forum. My son is a 23 to heroin addict. He has a problem and says he wants help. He completed Intensive outpatient therapy and suboxone a year ago but relapse since then. The insurance and getting help has been frustrating. He has been told he needs to go through IOP 2x before they even consider inpatient residential. I never see him nod off or anything like that but I know he has a problem. He actually seems in agony when he's withdrawing and other times he's just normal, pleasant, etc. he's never violent. What is normal??? I'm so confused but do know he needs help. I know he is not find of going to a long term term residential because he'll be away from his daughter. Can he be successful with IOP again and continued therapy? I want to support him in his recovery but just don't know how anymore.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lotusangel - what you are describing sounds a lot like my behavior when using earlier on. Over time the withdrawal got worse, and the 'other times' got worse too. I think the desire to be sober is the most critical part of it, but I don't have any experience with residential, IOP or therapy.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Opiophobe, thank you for your response. So let me ask you, you have been in recovery without rehab or IOP, just NA meetings and sponsor? I think the worst will be cravings and habits.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lotusangel - I haven't done anything on that list, but SR has been a great outlet and source of support. Ideally I would have loved to go to rehab, but it would have caused considerable harm to my family to do so. However, I was way past the point of 'wanting' to quit, and the H had stopped working a long time ago. It was just trying to survive in the end, and even that started to look impossible. If I believed that the drugs offered any benefits to go back to it would be considerably more difficult at this point. I am only 4 months in though. Some of those with longer periods of sobriety might have additional insights.

I think the more important thing is how much he believes in the method that he chooses and how much effort he is willing to put into it. If he doesn't believe it is going to provide any benefit, and half-asses the process, I doubt it will provide good results.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ophiophobe, thank you for your honest response. I truly appreciate it and am glad you are sober. Sounds like you are a very strong and intelligent person. I wish you the best in your recovery so you can enjoy your life and family to create many happy memories. I will keep my fingers crossed that my son finds it himself to be strong and follow through with his recovery. Have an amazing day.