Secular Introductions

Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Welcome Childofnite!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I definitely belong here in SC...

No formal religious beliefs (I come from Catholic families on both sides of the family). The closest thing I have to religion is my yoga classes, which are spiritual not religious.

I look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hi Trader Jane! Yoga is awesome...I used to be a pretzel but quit 5 years cgorman...I keep trying to restart but I'm always so appalled at how stiff I am now!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi there trader jane

Say, can I have some of that soup you and your two friends are cooking up? Looks nummy!

Murray
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for the welcome! LOL about the soup, Murray!

Le Femme, I get really stiff if I don't do yoga for a long time. If I go once a week, it's okay. If I go twice a week, better. If I go 3 times per week, much much better. I think the benefits of yoga really increase (in terms of flexibility, etc. ) the more often you go.

Having said that, it's really hard for me to make it 3x per week as each class is an hour and a half and in all takes over 2 hours of my day to do it. I guess we do what we can. If you ever want to talk yoga, let me know! Right now I'm working on headstand a bit and some balance poses. Arm balances still elude me

Have a nice day!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

The conversation in here cracks me up sometimes.

Me likes it here :~)
Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I have a friend who is 10+ years sober (W/O that which can't be named). he does Bikram 6 days a week and meditates daily. It helps him a great deal. I am a big believer in it, but I can't change everything overnight...LOL...I just started excercising again...the yoga and meditation will hopefully be next up!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlvrMag View Post
The conversation in here cracks me up sometimes.

Me likes it here :~)
Only sometimes...If you can't have a sense of humour about everything you get to be a pain in the a$$ pretty fast...IMO

Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Jane, welcome over to the secular side.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zencat! Jane is my fake name (don't ask me how I made that one up) but my real name is Laura.

I'm off to candlelight yoga tonight, which I love. I promise to share anything inspiring that I get from tonight's class!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

La Femme, good for you... you will do it when you are ready.

I have not tried Bikram, but isn't that "hot yoga"? I don't think I could handle that. I do regular vinyasa flow, with music, and it's very nice and relaxing and challenging. I have heard the Bikram is intense. Some people love it, though.

I don't like Astanga very much, either, it's a little too strict. I prefer more relaxing free moving, Vinyasa flow as they call it!

Well, I hope everyone is enjoying the evening. I'll check in later.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

LaFemme went and changed her avatar, so I did too. She started out close up, then went to an expanded view. I started out expansive, but it's now time to draw in for a closer view of things.

Making sense?

Murray
Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Murray...you copy cat! Does this mean you will change your Avatar every time I do? I will be changing it all the time so I can see more of your gorgeous work! I <3 how abstract this one is...or maybe its just abstract on a small screen.

Laura...how cool is candlelight yoga!?!? I have always liked Astanga...and you are right...bikram is the hot yoga...my friend is the only straight man I know who actually boasts about his waist size...he's crazy! Hope you had fun at yoga...I hate working out but like how I feel when its done.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

LOVE Candlelight yoga. It's all dark with just candles around the room, the teacher plays cool music, says cool things and we "rock it out" as he says! What could be better! I always start out the class feeling stressed and yucky and by the end I feel like a different person -- relaxed, body all energized, etc.

What's great about the Candlelight classes is that no one can really see you - it's dark -- so you can just do your own thing. I feel good tonight!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
La Femme, good for you... you will do it when you are ready.

I have not tried Bikram, but isn't that "hot yoga"? I don't think I could handle that. I do regular vinyasa flow, with music, and it's very nice and relaxing and challenging. I have heard the Bikram is intense. Some people love it, though.

I don't like Astanga very much, either, it's a little too strict. I prefer more relaxing free moving, Vinyasa flow as they call it!

Well, I hope everyone is enjoying the evening. I'll check in later.
I used to do Bikram yoga as well. Its been a couple years and I really miss it. Its something I really need to pick up again sometime.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

oopsy-daisy!

Darned avatar just up and changed on me again. (Last one didn't seem right. This one is closer to where I'm at these days...)

Murray
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I tried to make your Avatar larger but couldn't. I LOVE it! Did you manipulate the image in any way, or is this a straight shot? I WANT IT:-)

I changed my Avatar to something silly and irreverant (closer to where I am these days!) that I did in homage to Wayne Thiebaud (one of my favorite living artists)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi peeps. Candlelight yoga sounds really great! I attend hatha yoga classes and have not seen a candlelight session offered I'll have to ask about that. The hot yoga holds no interest for me as I don't like to sweat it makes me feel itchy and dirty! I work out at a gym and do 30-50 minutes of cardio before weights and I do start to sweat a little but they have some big fans on the floor so I position 1 to blast right on me.

Murray you're avatar is rather creepy looks like creatures in barren trees to me that are looking to attack one another.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Murray you're avatar is rather creepy looks like creatures in barren trees to me that are looking to attack one another.
You're not the first person to say that.

I have a special understanding with old growth forest dwelling moss covered forest folk, so I shouldn't say anything else for fear of their heinous retributions.

Murray
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

If you look very closely you can see a moss faery sitting on a branch.