Secular Introductions

Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi there Huntwc, welcome aboard the secular fun ship

50 days? Way to go! I'm just a couple days ahead of you...feels pretty good to have actually come this far, doesn't it? I remember when I first started a week seemed impossible.

You can count on our support, but wisdom? More like crash test dummy reports I'm afraid

Murray
Old 08-24-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
Hi there Huntwc, welcome aboard the secular fun ship

50 days? Way to go! I'm just a couple days ahead of you...feels pretty good to have actually come this far, doesn't it? I remember when I first started a week seemed impossible.

You can count on our support, but wisdom? More like crash test dummy reports I'm afraid

Murray
Bwahahaha

Seriously maybe that is why we as a group seem to be doing so well, We have a sense of humor about life? Thoughts?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

_ctully, it is _ w_y of life. Humor h_s nothing to do with. For ex_mple, I h_ve stopped using the letter before B entirely. It seems to h_ve m_de _ world of difference.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

BTW, I _m enjoying my s_ndwich!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi huntwc, welcome to the secular side. Glad to have you here.

Originally Posted by LeFemme
word of warning...we are forbidden from talking in any way, shape or form about the organization that sound like a roadside car assistance program...you camomile me if you want specifics:-)
True, there are some restrictions here at Secular Connections:
Originally Posted by SoberRecovery.com
12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery.
Yet there is plenty to post about at the same time:
Originally Posted by SoberRecovery.com
Alternatives to 12 Step Recovery
LifeRing-Smart-SOS, CBT, Problem Solving, Self Management, Self-Empowerment, Rational Thinking, Positive Lifestyle Changes, Self Assessment, Commitment and Follow-Through, Self-Acceptance, Motives and Goals, Peer Support.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!! I am looking forward to getting to know you all better!!! LaFemme...thanks for noticing my doggies..my "boyz" are the best and help me to smile when I think I am about to lose it!!!!!

As far as "roadside assistance" I think I will pass on that one!! What stinks is there are NO other face to face groups in my area. I am now in a support group via IOP therapy and I LOVE it. It is a lot like this thread...we talk about the serious things but laugh a lot too. I think that helps to keep it "real". I won't be able to attend it long term tho...darn insurance!!

Hope you are all having a good sober day!! Linda
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

What's IOP Therapy?

All of us here love talking about alternative approaches to recovery and why we drank (mostly the science of it:-)
Old 08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

IOP=Intensive Out Patient
Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hello- I have been following my own "program' for nearly a year now- i read a lot of scientific literature and work on healing and supporting my body & my mind. Although I am very spiritual in general, I find that staying sober has really boiled down to making the decision to quit drinking and sticking with it. I just don't do it anymore, and stick with it, and deal with the fact that it is my decision & my choice & ultimately my responsibility. and that's it.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again Daisy

D
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by daisy2 View Post
Hello- I have been following my own "program' for nearly a year now- i read a lot of scientific literature and work on healing and supporting my body & my mind. Although I am very spiritual in general, I find that staying sober has really boiled down to making the decision to quit drinking and sticking with it. I just don't do it anymore, and stick with it, and deal with the fact that it is my decision & my choice & ultimately my responsibility. and that's it.
A year doing it on your own - that's impressive, and a major encouragement to me as I'm following a "program" very similar to yours. Ultimately, it comes down to making a decision to quit, then sticking to that decision. Pretty simple once you boil it down!

Murray
Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Way to go Daisy! Would love to hear more about your path...sounds a little like mine and I am amways looking to learn!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy2
the fact that it is my decision & my choice & ultimately my responsibility. and that's it.
I feel about the same. There's a saying in Buddhism that goes something like this; "if I'm the cause of my problems, I'm also the cure." I strongly believe that there many roads to a drug free life. Its just a matter of finding the right road that works for the individual.

Good going on your clean time Daisy.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Way to go Daisy! Would love to hear more about your path...sounds a little like mine and I am amways looking to learn!
Hi! I will probably post more in another thread once i make my official "year".... a week from today.... but feel free to mesage me with any questions if you like. When I quit drinking this past time,I also shortly thereafter went through an extremely painful breakup, followed by depression, but through that really just decided that I would never again screw things in my life up that much because of drinking. It's a very powerful choice, and i think you kind of know when you are there... in the past year i have been really paying attention to eating & sleeping habits, getting professional help when necessary, stress reducing activities(yoga, exercise, meditation, etc) have really helped me, as did coming up with what to say in social situations ahead of time. also positively reinforcing my decision and my choice and being confident that i can do this, and the consequences if i decide to stray. drinking is just not an option. hope that helps...
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
September 28th 2010...

YAY!!!!! my new home...

Glad to be here and to know that there is a better way - FOR ME.

Can't wait to be sober enough to jump in and really enjoy posting. Just on day 1 right now!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hi childofnite Welcome to the secular side of SoberRecovery (SR). I say why wait. I think Its best to jump right on in and become an active member of SR.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome childofnite! I'm fairly new here too.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

i'm still here

still secular

still stupid

thank you

Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
i'm still here
That's great!

still secular
I understand...

still stupid
Yeah...riiiiiiiiight.

thank you
You're welcome!!

Murray
Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi childofnite!

I'm pretty new here as well, for posting that is - I've been lurking for quite some time!