Secular Introductions

Old 01-01-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I looked into SMART earlier, but I don't think it will be possible for me to go to here because I don't have anyone available to watch the kids the day they have it, they only have one day they have meetings here.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Camaro, welcome to SoberRecovery. This a great to find and offer support.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Just checking back in with the secular people. 6 days sober.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hi alyosha! Congrats on 6 days!

This thread comes and goes with activity....sometimes we talk a lot other times...not so much
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi alyosha! Congrats on 6 days!

This thread comes and goes with activity....sometimes we talk a lot other times...not so much
ditto...

Murray
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
ditto...

Murray
Yep...and if I'm gone for more than a couple of days check in on me!

Thanks again Murray! I really enjoyed the thread earlier today as well. I was trying to keep up on it while I was driving up and down the coast earlier. I really appreciate the information on this site. Funny thing is I think some of the best info comes out in confrontational (yet polite) threads.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
Funny thing is I think some of the best info comes out in confrontational (yet polite) threads.
Online forums are bad for that kind of thing, because people sometimes read stuff between the lines that was never there! It turned out okay though because like you said, everybody was polite

Maybe my true nature as a confrontational debate loving contrarian is rising to the surface

Murray
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I completely agree, and I am making an effort to try and not come off as someone who is down on any form of recovery program. But I think the old saying that God only helps those who help themselves might apply in some of these debates. People who are taking an active part in their own recovery, which is hard as hell, should take some of the credit for their progress...I find it empowering myself. But I do feel obligated to hold my tongue and I feel a bit hypocritical being that I did experiment and relapse and lost sight of my goal, so maybe my words don't hold a much weight. That was the tough part about coming back here and getting active again, I felt the need to come clean, (and I'm glad I did), and I hope it helps someone else who loses sight of their goal and feels the need to test themself, but with that slip I also feel I lost alot of credibility, so I will probably be doing more reading than posting until I get some more time under my belt.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
...I felt the need to come clean, (and I'm glad I did), and I hope it helps someone else who loses sight of their goal and feels the need to test themself, but with that slip I also feel I lost alot of credibility, so I will probably be doing more reading than posting until I get some more time under my belt.
I'm glad you did too. Every time I read one of those cautionary tales it sends a cold fear into my gut. You should take pride in how fast you got yourself back here...that gives you a mountain of 'street cred' in my books!!!!

Murray
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I'm glad you did too. Every time I read one of those cautionary tales it sends a cold fear into my gut. You should take pride in how fast you got yourself back here...that gives you a mountain of 'street cred' in my books!!!!

Murray
Thanks I really appreciate the kind words, it means alot to me!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I agree with Murray...I think that fact that you came back so quickly actually gives you a lot of credibility...I'm not certain I could do that.

I think the problems with online debate is we can't express tone and there is no body language...duh...so misunderstanding is easy. I also think that healthy debate is one of the best ways to learn...its just hard to keep it healthy...lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Good to see you again Alyosha and good going on those 6 days.

Originally Posted by Supercrew
I did experiment and relapse and lost sight of my goal, so maybe my words don't hold a much weight. That was the tough part about coming back here and getting active again, I felt the need to come clean, (and I'm glad I did), and I hope it helps someone else who loses sight of their goal and feels the need to test themself, but with that slip I also feel I lost alot of credibility, so I will probably be doing more reading than posting until I get some more time under my belt.
I think your words hold just as much weight as before and then some. Now you have an experience that relates to a good amount people that enter recovery and have a slip. With relapse rates similar to other chronic diseases, your experience relates to those of us, like myself that make up 40% - 60% of the treatment population. And by returning to recovery you can offer valuable insights. I feel that a good many that relapse stay out back in active addiction for a long time, many times for too long. You know what courage it takes to get back and continue recovery. That experience will help many.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

Aaaah... beliefs! I'm hoping this is still a secular introductions thread.

I'm at my happiest when skeptical almost to the point of nihilism, and when I'm angry I become a humanist. I find both positions perversely healthy and reassuring, whereas both the sweetness of faith and the oblivion of drink just became too much for me.

Or maybe I'm just foggy on my eleventh day sober?

All I know is I need help, and I'm grateful for finding this community...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hi Tomsson! This is the Secular forum...I am the lone believer in Theism (more or less) but I find this group of people closest to my beliefs on recovery

Welcome to our happy little family.

LaFemme
Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi I've been posting on other parts of the board for a couple of days but I'm definitely in the secular camp.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Welcome aboard you two

I'm a bit busy right now, but when I get back I'll teach you the secret handshake.

Murray
Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Welcome Tomsson and liquorandndrugs to Secular Connections.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Welcome to you both. Once Murray teaches you the secret handshake I can give you a decoder ring. Then and only then will some of this make sense!

Supercrew, I babbled in SC while relapsing and cleaning up again about 10 times. Being sober/clean has a learning curve. lol I guess that makes me a cautionary tale but at least it's not all for nothing. Point being I'm glad you post. I'm glad everyone on here posts, wherever you are along the road. There are a few times I would have been out there using again if I couldn't yak at everyone here.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Welcome liquoranddrugs!!!

Maybe we can call you by your initials "lad" has a nice sound to it....unless of course you are a girl
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

thanks you can call me that if you want as I am not female.