Secular Introductions

Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hey LaFemme,

I was watching the CBC news on TV this morning and they were talking about a new David Mervish play, "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding" and I thought of you right away. You know, since you're a Pagan Jewish Princess and all

My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding

I belong to the Western High Ascensionist's, a not so vertically challenged sub-sect of Eastern Mountain Sports.

Murray
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Lol, murray:-)

The sea kayakying branch of the holy Eastern Mountain Sports is somewhat oxymoronic, seeing as there are no mountains in sea kayaking.

Ok, now I am being too silly, this is a SERIOUS forum;-)
Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Ummm, it occurs to me that it is strange that any of us ever drank, considering how weird we already are!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I drank to be normal!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

LaFemme, You make a great point. If we are this weird sober, can you just imagine how STRANGE we were drinking?
By the way how do we do homage to the High Priestess of Eastern Mountain Sea kayaking? Do we like make snow men in the mountains and sacrifice them in the ocean on a flaming kayak? Then sing "Kumb By yaa" backwards?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

All that the High Priestess of Sea Kayaking demands of her subjects is that they pray to the water for an hour, twice a day, preferably the Sea. If you are not in close proximity to the sea, you must carry a bottle of ocean water (we sell it online, in a lovely worship bottle, 20% off this week!!!) with you at all times. At the prescribed times, no matter where you are you must take the bottle of water out and supplicate yourself to it.

The Goddess of sea kayaking on the other hand requires a tithe of 20% of all pre-tax income. These funds can be made out to the high priestess and mailed to my attention.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

LOL You're making a great start at this High Priestess thing. I think you are perfectly suited for the position. Now you need to get a 30 min. spot on TBN and then just sit back and wait for the cash and letters to start rolling in. If it would be a help, I would be willing to tie dye my bathrobe, dig out my old purple "super fly" hat, see if I have an old bong hidden back somewhere that I could swing from a chain....
Then I could go before you be-crying "All hail the High Priestess of the Sea Kiyak. You don't need to bow, just give money."
Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Can't I just sacrifice a goat?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well I just watched "clash o the titans" and they were abou to sacrifice Andromeda, so I guess that would work as well, but finding a virgin princess might be kind of hard, David Beckham wohld be preferable anyway...y'all still need to tithe though!

Luckedog can be my first disciple.

Supercrew, normal is vastly over rated:-)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm an atheist.

My son is an addict so I also hang out in the families of substance abuse section.

Kari
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi KariSue! Welcome:-)
Old 08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Welcome, KariSue. We all jump around the different threads a bit. Pardon our silliness just trying to lighten the mood some.
I think there are others here that share your problem with close family. I have a step daughter addicted to crack, living on the streets of L.A... Tried to help her many times and different ways but she doesn’t want the help. She has been in and out of jail for the past 10 years. Heart breaking, but I don’t think she will change until she wakes up and wants to change!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Mat

I didn't even realize that this site had a secular forum until I saw it mentioned by LaFemme(big thank you) in another section.

I am a lifelong atheist/skeptic/critical thinker. My path to sobriety will unfortunately need to be a rational one which doesn't involve the usual fanfare about God(s) or the compromising of the rational lens through which I view reality. I say that it is unfortunate because there seems to be a disproportionately large amount of this in the recovery community. If only I could subscribe to such ways of thinking, perhaps it would be easier for me? Alas... I cannot.

I tried an AA meeting on Mon. this week and it was bonkers. The woman who led the group explained that she believed in God as she understood him, and to directly quote her: "It ain't my momma's God, it ain't my grandmomma's God, it ain't even no religious or bible God; I choose to call him Jesus Christ." I stayed until the end; they said the Lord's Prayer. Needless to say I was put off, and honestly I just wanted to argue with everyone there. I have always been very confrontational about this sort of woo woo, and realized that I was not going to be able to find my way in meetings which set off my BS alarm every 5 minutes. I admit I do have a chip on my shoulder about other people's beliefs, something I need to work on.

Yesterday night, I went to the only SMART meeting in my area and found it much more to my liking. I didn't really want to argue with anyone there, my BS detector wasn't set off by any of the claims that were being made, and they encouraged the "cross-talk" in which I could challenge or question any aspect of the program that doesn't seem right. This also means that the other members can call me out and correct me if I am being irrational. All in all this is a very good thing, and I am feeling positive about SMART.

Sooooo... Hi, I'm Matt. Sorry for the long introduction.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Welcome Mat. We are a mixed bunch here. All in all, I like it here better than some of the other categories As a general rule people are open minded and respectful of others that hold different views There are atheists, Christians, Neo-pagans, Jews, skeptics Buddhists… and many other different belief systems. It seems to me that the open-mindedness and tolerance found here is a huge plus. We accept people as fellow travelers to the same place—clean & sober. Some are cursing on the Interstate some on the “scenic” route, and some (like me) on an old dirt road. The one unifying factor is our desire to achieve A long term sobriety that makes rational sense to each individual. Glad you found the site!

P.S. SMART is a great place for some very helpful information & they have an on-line meeting almost every night.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome Mat! Glad you are here:-) I might just have to look into SMART myself, I need to learn more about it.

We are really interested in all types o approaches to sobriety here and look forward to learning from each other.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome to Secular Connections Matt, and glad to hear you are getting something from the SMART program.

Please remember the rules of the forum, "12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery."

Thanks, and glad to see you!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

If anyone needs the link to SMART; SMART Recovery® | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction
I found the info. and tools very helpful in my recovery. I like the concept that I am the one that is ultimately responsible for my drinking. You didn’t make me drink the "circumstances" in life aren’t responsible its not because of the media or social acceptance ect. ect... I put the STUFF into my system because I wanted to! If I chose to drink to start with then I can choose not to also. I realize that is very simplistic but it makes sense to me.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Sorry I apparently posted it twice?????

Can anyone tell me how to delete the whole post if you do it twice?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Maybe use the edit function?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks LaFemme, I tried that but I it would only erase the text not the avatar & box. Could be missing something, I'm a "dinosaur" when it comes to computers!