Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

So now the therapist says I am to go to five AA meetings a week?

So now the therapist says I am to go to five AA meetings a week?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well verbal contracts are binding too...so if the rehab committed themselves to offer an alternative to AA they will have too or your deal with them in invalid. You say your in duel treatment, maybe they can start a DRA meeting there or be taken to one. A DRA member can object to the spiritual stuff and still be within their rights as a DRA member to do so.

Above all I get your point that you don't want AA as a part of your treatment. And even DRA may be too closely related to AA for you, as DRA uses 12 steps. The DRA steps are different but not that different from AA's 12 steps. But then again as a DRA member you can choose whatever healing path you want to and not work the steps.

I hope you can come to some mutual understanding with the rehab and get the treatment you expected to get from them.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'll pray about it. BWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Just kidding, Katie. Just pretend you believe in the Easter Bunny for awhile then when they let you out of 12 step jail seek out non-bunny alternatives.

They're always after me Lucky Charms !!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

My question is, where are these rehabs that offer treatment other than AA? Do they even exist. Just asking out of pure curiosity. If you are in a 12 step rehab and don't go to the meetings, how are you going to get well? You aren't. This really makes no sense. It is a waste of money because AA is free. All I can say is try to make the best of it.

I just had a thought. This might be the best therapy I ever had. This forces me to deal with anger - without picking up a drink, deal with deception - without picking up a drink, deal with the realization that I was bamboozled - without picking up a drink.
This is healthy thinking, Katie. Try to turn this into something positive. Things happen for a reason. Maybe you ended up where you are so you could find some resolve. That would be very beneficial for you. You and your old way of thinking are putting up the road blocks to your recovery. Clear your mind and the road blocks disappear. Keep up with that way of thinking. That is a great start to sorting through the cobwebs of the past.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Just sit back and relax. Play the game. Build up your strength. Stay off dope. Use your time to get well. You ain't gotta believe in all the crap you don't wanna believe in. I know it sounds hokey...all that chanting and stuff....but just try and get better. Good luck !!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
My question is, where are these rehabs that offer treatment other than AA? Do they even exist.
Treatment Finder Page
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Have you ever entertained the idea of doing some charity work?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
Well verbal contracts are binding too...so if the rehab committed themselves to offer an alternative to AA they will have too or your deal with them in invalid. You say your in duel treatment, maybe they can start a DRA meeting there or be taken to one. A DRA member can object to the spiritual stuff and still be within their rights as a DRA member to do so.

Above all I get your point that you don't want AA as a part of your treatment. And even DRA may be too closely related to AA for you, as DRA uses 12 steps. The DRA steps are different but not that different from AA's 12 steps. But then again as a DRA member you can choose whatever healing path you want to and not work the steps.

I hope you can come to some mutual understanding with the rehab and get the treatment you expected to get from them.
Thanks, but here is the thing. They can always say I am a drunk and was under the influence and they never said that. I feel like I don't have a leg to stand on. The sales guy, as I shall now refer to him, told me he'd come and fix the overhead light in the kitchen, the leaky sink and the broken lamp tonight (apparently he's the maintenance guy too). I am going to have a heart to heart if he arrives. Unfortunately, there will be no witnesses but there will be a sober me and they won't be able to challenge that. A bit back I thought I should just put my pets in Petsmart and go to the psych ward. (Of course, I am not allowed to drive here and don't know where I am so what is the point). Seriously, I am not joking. I don't know how to deal with a driving phobia, 350 miles away from home, $13K down the drain surrounded by a sea of people who are no doubt just going to think I am in denial or going through withdrawals. For the record, I am NOT in denial. I know to continue drinking is going to kill me, but I really NEED other alternatives to AA.

At any rate, I'm thinking, I'm thinking and trying not to panic.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Have you ever entertained the idea of doing some charity work?
If this is directed at me, I've volunteered in both a homeless shelter and a food and clothing bank.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

If the AA stuff is only 5 or so hours a week, I'd just deal with it, enjoy the other activities they have to offer, and ask them when you get to sacrifice a goat (J/K, goats are cute).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
My question is, where are these rehabs that offer treatment other than AA? Do they even exist. Just asking out of pure curiosity. If you are in a 12 step rehab and don't go to the meetings, how are you going to get well? You aren't. This really makes no sense. It is a waste of money because AA is free.
My point exactly, which is why I am so angry.

This is healthy thinking, Katie. Try to turn this into something positive. Things happen for a reason. Maybe you ended up where you are so you could find some resolve. That would be very beneficial for you. You and your old way of thinking are putting up the road blocks to your recovery. Clear your mind and the road blocks disappear. Keep up with that way of thinking. That is a great start to sorting through the cobwebs of the past.
I don't know. I don't know.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
For the record, I am NOT in denial. I know to continue drinking is going to kill me, but I really NEED other alternatives to AA.
I believe you. I've been there.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
If the AA stuff is only 5 or so hours a week, I'd just deal with it, enjoy the other activities they have to offer, and ask them when you get to sacrifice a goat (J/K, goats are cute).
The whole program is based on the 12 step model, aside from a bit of therapy thrown in here and there - delivered by therapists who push the AA stuff. And now my keyboard on my laptop is going. I am really screwed.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

The whole program is based on the 12 step model, aside from a bit of therapy thrown in here and there - delivered by therapists who push the AA stuff. And now my keyboard on my laptop is going. I am really screwed.
I'm sorry they lied to you, Katie. Get sober now, sue them later.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi katie,

well...i know there are what appear to be reputible treatment centers that are not 12 step based...just looking on the web...maybe you could do a search and find them? I'm not that good at searches and i found them a while back when i was intersted..but don't have the info now...it wasn't hard...

and yep...i've seen treatment centers profess one thing and do another...some of them are pretty good treatment centers, but it is very irritating when they do that. I'de be looking for a refund as well. Nothin wrong with that...

I was fed up with some lies and bs within the AA groups i attended at one point...stopped going and stayed sober another 5 years (i am not a god person btw..i think you know that but in case you didnt). Now i didnt get drunk over calling a spade a spade. I didnt' get drunk because of AA. In fact I might have been fine cept i missed one little important thing about staying sober...for me it requires that i be involved with other people (preferably alchoholics, but i suspect any one would do if need be). Course it's not the same for everyone thats just how it was for me.

I have alot of struggles in my life these days..but I guess i just try to honest about where i am at with this stuff (anger, distrust, betrayal are some things that are "where i am at" at times), and try to deal in a way that is respectful of myself and others to resolve what i can, and look for away to find a path that works for me insobriety. I still can get terribly angry and hurt and all that stuff over what i see others do especially when it impacts me! And i have to allow myself to admit to and be ok with those feelings and i ahve to respect myself enough to say what i need to say and do what i need to do in the situation. Then i move on to what will get me on the path i need to be on....but it's a process and even knowing the process i can't make it happen any faster than it happens.

Just my thoughts that came to mind reading this thread and about your situation.

Sorry you got rooked on this facility...yeah...even bad therapist actually helped me..kinda funny trying to not let them mess me up worse helped me to see that i knew more about the path i needed to take and how to do it then i had given myself credit for.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Just curious, Katie... when was your last drink? How are you doing with w/d?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I won't doubt your goodness Katie.. if being good and honest and charitable is necessary for sobriety, then how was Bush able to get sober? Apparently he was allowed to skip the moral inventory part of the equation. At least none of us have to make amends to Iraqi orphans.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

They can always say I am a drunk and was under the influence and they never said that.

At any rate, I'm thinking, I'm thinking and trying not to panic.
They could say that among a number of things...true? But they haven't...so cross that bridge when you come to it...Okay

Thinking is good...think of all the the ways you can make this experience work for you. Be resourceful, use your creative talents...I know you have them just from reading your various post here at SR.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Question

If this is directed at me, I've volunteered in both a homeless shelter and a food and clothing bank.
Did you learn anything by it?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Just curious, Katie... when was your last drink? How are you doing with w/d?
Saturday, and I am doing fine with it. No need for detox or anything like that.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,

If you're for real, I thought I'd just post a little something for your (and our) entertainment to get your mind off this latest debacle.

Be well.

Donna