Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

So now the therapist says I am to go to five AA meetings a week?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And not even my therapist and I haven't even met with my case manager or therapist. I came into this rehab under the impression that there were "deviations" from AA, meaning other groups. That is what they told me. The guy who sold me on this told me the night I checked in - in addition to another person - that I don't have to go to night meetings. This is a bunch of hooey. I NEVER would have come here had I realized this was going to turn out to be forced AA and one very expensive AA deal at that. $13K for a rehab that is based on the 12 step model. Someone was actually honest enough to tell me this today - after I'd charged $13K on my credit cards. I came here for dual diagnosis and in the HOPES that deviations actually meant something.

Anyway, if anyone wants to send me out drinking, force me to go to AA. It's the surest way I'll pick up a drink. I am angry and wonder what options I have at this point.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I came here for dual diagnosis and in the HOPES that deviations actually meant something.
Wouldya like a little cheese to go with that whine?

I've read your posts, I think you were hoping they would shower you with a little pixy dust and all of your problems would magically disappear.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

nuttin changes if you dont change , try applying all these things to your group face to face and such . seems your spending alot of time being online posting and not focusing on your recovery . to many distractions turn your mind off whats really at hand ..
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well you are there now so why not make the most of it Katie? Otherwise you just watsed 13k for nothing?!

i knew a little about AA before i came to SR, people i knew tried it some didn't work for them some did. I never thought i would ever hear someone blame AA for making them drink though...that is quality, sorry for your troubles but i won't forget that in a hurry:-)

Last edited by yeahgr8; 03-12-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: aa
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Anyway, if anyone wants to send me out drinking, force me to go to AA. It's the surest way I'll pick up a drink. I am angry and wonder what options I have at this point.
I guess if I was looking for an excuse to drink I could always come up with one. But thankfully, AA wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and for once in my life something worked, I'd found a solution.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry.. I would demand that the you be able to rehab without AA, that they give you access to other options. (If that's possible???? I've never been to rehab)

This can be a great opportunity to show your therapists and counselors that you are an example of someone who doesn't need AA in order to become sober. Hope everything works out.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Wouldya like a little cheese to go with that whine?

I've read your posts, I think you were hoping they would shower you with a little pixy dust and all of your problems would magically disappear.
Excuse me, but I was deceived into coming here. I specifically asked them what their program entailed and they were not straight with me.

If you want to go to AA, fine. I don't. And I posted this in the secular forum for a reason. Not for cliches.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

The point is that they promised her that they would provide secular alternatives to AA meetings. Now it sounds like they got her there on false pretenses. I would be angry too.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excuse me, but I was deceived into coming here. I specifically asked them what their program entailed and they were not straight with me.

If you want to go to AA, fine. I don't. And I posted this in the secular forum for a reason. Not for cliches.
if you don't like it that much, leave. Demand a refund!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I guess if I was looking for an excuse to drink I could always come up with one. But thankfully, AA wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and for once in my life something worked, I'd found a solution.
I can't tell you how many AA meetings I've walked out of only to head for the wine aisle. Why is AA this sacred cow that no one is allowed to disagree with? I quit smoking yesterday and after being told I was expected to go to these meetings the first thing I wanted was a cigarette. In fact, I might just walk to the store and buy some now as I am so angry. I don't want AA shoved down my throat by anyone. I don't want it. I went to my first meeting 32 freaking years ago. It's not for me. I am tired of people in AA constantly coming back at me with stuff like, it doesn't work if you don't work it and the other gazillion cliches. And the fact I can't even post in the secular forum without AAers coming in and attacking me REALLY irks me! Not you...I don't mean you. On this note, I am going to find the nearest store and light up a smoke.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
if you don't like it that much, leave. Demand a refund!
They have their money. I have nothing in writing. The only thing I can do at this point is dispute the charge.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

Hi Katie,

hang in there my friend, :ghug
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts that are NICE! I just ran into the guy who heard the guy who sold me this deal tell me I didn't have to go to AA if I didn't want to. I have a witness. He called the sales guy right now and told the sales guy he was right there when he said it. I briefly spoke with the sales guy and he told me not to worry and he'd straighten it out. This thing could get ugly. I feel deceived and $13K more broke. It was communicated to me I could go to other meetings. Guess what? There are NO other meetings here to go to!!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Katie, THAT SUCKS! However, don't loose your momentum, keep thinking recovery, there has to be a place that will offer other options. I would be sure to ask for proof the next time though...just to be safe. I hope this all gets straightened out with not alot of stress.
:ghug3
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
The point is that they promised her that they would provide secular alternatives to AA meetings. Now it sounds like they got her there on false pretenses. I would be angry too.
Exactly! And the angrier I get the less I'll want to be here. Funny thing is, I actually thought I'd go to the meeting tonight, but I won't have it mandated and shoved down my throat by anyone. I wish there were a way to convey the rage I feel at this whole deal via the Net, but there isn't.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have never heard of a rehab that has all the amenities that the place you are has. Pets? Computers? Visits to the museum? Ability to leave and walk to the store? Sounds more like a sober-living house than a rehab.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vividserenity View Post
Katie, THAT SUCKS! However, don't loose your momentum, keep thinking recovery, there has to be a place that will offer other options. I would be sure to ask for proof the next time though...just to be safe. I hope this all gets straightened out with not alot of stress.
:ghug3
Yes, I should have done the whole thing via email, however nowhere on there website do they mention AA, except for their daily schedule. I conveyed my feelings about AA and was told there were other groups. I should have asked for an email detailing EXACTLY what those other groups were. So, I can "stay home tonight," as I was told. For the price of $13K you too can have eight therapy sessions, four psychiatric visits, your meds slightly changed and forced to sit in on an AA charade game as part of their "clinical" group in the mornings.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You have nothing in writing??? No paperwork that you had to sign? No receipt for the 13K? I find that impossible to believe.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just had a thought. This might be the best therapy I ever had. This forces me to deal with anger - without picking up a drink, deal with deception - without picking up a drink, deal with the realization that I was bamboozled - without picking up a drink.

I may finally come head to head with 32 years of resentment I have felt regarding AA being the only game out there, believing my only two choices in life were AA or to drink, and often preferring the drink to AA. I may have to fight a whole slew of people in the process - all without picking up a drink. Who knows what comes after that. Shrug.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
You have nothing in writing??? No paperwork that you had to sign? No receipt for the 13K? I find that impossible to believe.
Sure I have the paperwork - but not the important paperwork reflecting what they told me verbally.