Notices

Class of April 2021 Support Thread Part One

Old 04-15-2021, 12:57 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, Phoebe,

Fonda is a six month old male, large breed mutt. That said, he may be a Catahoula, which is a very specific kind of mutt, including American wolf, Mastiff, bloodhound, and greyhound. He also might be another kind of mutt, a Dogo Argentino, which was an intentional breed created in South America. I don't know! He's very very big, 60lbs at 6 months old. I am trying very hard to train him well, it's really a challenge. I just saw him in someone's arms, he was an abandoned Christmas present, and I couldn't deal with all the people that were looking at him to try to adopt him so I kept him, regardless of the bad timing and the financial strain I was under. My home is a better place for him than where I'm sure he would have ended up. He is willful and a little rebellious when I try to get him to come inside from the back yard, but he is the sweetest, friendliest little boy ever. He refuses to be crate trained, but he's so good in the house it really hasn't felt like a necessity. I'm so grateful.

Speaking of sugar cravings, I bought myself a big chocolate cookie and some chocolate milk to have while my coworkers are drinking their wine after our shift. They don't care who drinks or doesn't, and they're familiar with my ons/offs and know my history. If I'm going to be in this kind of environment (I do want out), I suppose this is an ok version.

Glad to hear your daughter is so supportive, phoebe

Old 04-15-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

hi everyone

Fonda sounds adorable Plenny. I absolutely love big mutts

Phoebe and Plenny, I’ve been eating more sugary treats than I’d like too. Although I think in the early days of sobriety it can really help us stay sober when the cravings hit. It’s great to be prepared with something to eat/drink on hand when you know others are going to be drinking alcohol. I’ve been taking my own n/a drinks to have on my drive home after work and also when I know I will be around people drinking. It’s really helping.

Welcome Scott & Feliz

Thanks Free, hope you’re doing ok?

Well done on 15 days Freedom

I hope you’re all going ok. Post if you’re struggling
I’m off to get ready for work, see you all later x
Old 04-15-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Plenny- your dog sounds awesome! We got my son a puppy (boston terrier) for his 10th birthday and we get to pick it up next Saturday! I'm so excited, plus I'll have a walking partner when nobody else wants to go. It's been a long time since we've had a puppy in the house

Checking in, day 18. Went to the dentist, which I probably would have cancelled had I been hungover. 2marrow I get my 1st vaccine shot, so perhaps there is hope for things progressing towards normal... Otherwise not much going on, cravings are down. I'm enjoying getting stuff done that I probably wouldn't have had I been drinking. My face/body isn't as bloated or red and I've lost 5 pounds, so there is that. Now time to figure out dinner and maybe a walk. Hope everyone is doing well, everyday gets easier, keep checking in
Old 04-15-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Exciting about your son's puppy BTG. Boston terriers have great characters. Fonda sounds like a gorgeous baby too. Very well behaved for his age, just as well given that he is 60lbs! My girl was a nightmare at 6 months old. She is 7 now so somewhat calmer..

Quick check in here. Day 4 passed with only fleeting alcohol thoughts. That's pretty good, just like Ladytron, Thursdays are generally when it starts going pear-shaped for me. I get to Thursday and announce that it is the start of the weekend. I have been pretty wiped out/tired this week and not felt much like drinking anyway. By next week, I will have bounced back and then I will need to make sure I have plans to keep on track.

Willow, I like your prep work. That shows real commitment!
Old 04-15-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Plenny, Fonda sounds great!

BTG, you’re doing so great! And, how exciting about the puppy!

Some body aches and fatigue/restlessness is kicking in from the vaccine and could also be weather. I finally caved in and took Advil. The discomfort is making me crave wine. Red wine is a great pain reliever. Until you wake up the next morning. Got a nice orange to slice up into my mineral water. So, not drinking, but just putting it out there that I want to.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Evening everyone. Plenny your dog sounds adorable (and huge!) phoebe I’m eating a bit more of the sweet stuff too but right now it’s very much the lesser of two evils for me. I’ve had a lovely sunny day at the park with the fam, off to bed now tired, sober and happy. Day 4 done. Night all ❤️
Old 04-15-2021, 03:11 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

My phone is dying.... but I wanted to check in real quick! I'm at a track meet. I'll be back later! ❤
Old 04-15-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post

Red wine is a great pain reliever. Until you wake up the next morning.
Indeed. And I am always really resistant to taking that Advil (I think that is paracetamol here in the UK). It is madness that I will resist taking a mild painkiller but neck a bottle of wine. The nature of the beast I guess. So great you did the sensible thing by taking care of yourself. Good news on the vaccine too!
Old 04-15-2021, 04:31 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Evening everyone. I had a good nights sleep last night and a good busy day. Thankfully, it was only yesterday that I felt rotten. But even then I was much better by evening. I’m tired tonight but that’s from the lack of good sleep for the 10 days drinking. I had an appointment this morning next to one of my rotational liquor stores but no urge to buy anything. I need to get past the 10 day to 2 week mark AF that’s been tripping me up. But I feel good about this time.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Administrator

Red wine is a great pain reliever.
Is it really tho Phoebe? An hour or two at the most and I needed more wine, or put up with the pain.

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
Indeed. And I am always really resistant to taking that Advil (I think that is paracetamol here in the UK). It is madness that I will resist taking a mild painkiller but neck a bottle of wine. The nature of the beast I guess. So great you did the sensible thing by taking care of yourself. Good news on the vaccine too!
Advil is Ibuprofen - in Australia at least.

D
Old 04-15-2021, 10:31 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

I’m enjoying reading everyone’s updates.
there’s no “thank” button on the phone app so I’d like to tell everyone thank you!

let us know how the new puppy rearing goes BTG! Sometimes I did find my boy triggering, but most of the time he inspires me to keep on the road to recovery. I am grateful for him.

another dumb night in the restaurant. These personalities are just primitive. I’m talking about my manager and a couple of coworkers.
I thought I was done making mistakes but I made three in a row tonight. I’m kind of shocked at myself but I know I’ve been through a lot. The others are not very gracious though. I’m just trying to stay stealth until I can pay off my car and find a better plan. Every day is silly there.

im so grateful to be hone and sober. I know for sure I won’t be hung over tomorrow! It’s a great feeling

goodnight y’all

Plenny
Old 04-15-2021, 10:31 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 16.

Trying to quit smoking again. Only have three cigarettes left then I'm quitting.

Want to be completely off nicotine but I'm giving myself til 6pm Sunday to quit vaping.

Also want to quit diet soda so will give myself til Sunday for that too. It may seem like a silly addiction but on a bad day I drink 8L and I've actually had seizures from it.

Starting Monday addiction free.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:11 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Just went for a nice 4km walk despite my agoraphobia. Smoked the last of my cigarettes. So 8:15am April 16th is my day 0. Will still keep vaping for the time being. Hopefully stop that Sunday evening. Baby steps.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:13 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hi April class

18 days is great BTG! And how exciting about your son’s new puppy

Well done on 4 days Lucinda and Ladytron!

And 16 days Freedom

Scott, I agree, getting past the first week to two weeks is a challenge, and then (for me at least) it gets a little easier, although I still have to fend off the AV.

Phoebe, I hope you’re feeling better soon

Plenny that sounds really frustrating, I hope something better comes along soon.

Citrus, how’re you doing? Did you get your phone back on track?

I hope everyone else is going ok too. Come and post and say hi

I’m on a month today! I had been struggling to get more than a few days or a few weeks so I’m really grateful to be at one month again! I rewarded myself with a massage which was heavenly. I haven’t had one since pre-Covid so it really was blissful

Old 04-16-2021, 02:17 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Congrats on a month Willow
Old 04-16-2021, 02:51 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Thanks Freedom
Old 04-16-2021, 04:34 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Just had a nice but very short meditation. Just 11 minutes. I'd like to have the discipline to meditate for an hour a day but hopefully I'll get there with practice.

I've been sitting in the garden trying to get some vitamin D as part of my health kick. But it's a cloudy day unfortunately. Still, a bit of fresh air can't hurt.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:38 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Fresh air is the best. s
Old 04-16-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Feels weird being outside without a cigarette.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Congrats on a month Willow, that's awesome