Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-30-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

another grey day around here.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Sister in law (brothers wife) tested positive for Covid-19.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

my wifes mom thinks she has it. She is always paranoid about stuff like that though but who knows. For a few days she was saying she had lost her sense of smell and taste then she got a slight cough and had chills. Not sure if she took her temp. from what I can gather she is doing pretty good. She did a video call with a dr and they said to be safe to quarenteen for 14 days. She is 70 and in half way decent shape. Word is her sisters daughter (30 something) thinks she has it. Cough and hard to take a deep breath. I hope this blows over quick. Then again we are going to great lengths to prolong it. understandably but still errrr.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Sister in law (brothers wife) tested positive for Covid-19.
I assume if my wife gets it I pretty much have it as well. be interesting to see. I wish them the best. Probably not a huge deal. I hope they are staying inside.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Best wishes to everyone.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 03-31-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

12:48 am on what I guess is now Tuesday in CA. I am struggling to fall asleep, so I’m going to read on here for a bit.

I am definitely finding the Covid 19 crisis challenging, I am trying to do things to calm my anxiety, but it is not working as well as I’d like. Today was my first official day of spring break, although I have a few Zoom meetings and clerical things to take care of this week, but for the most part I am going to try disconnecting from work.

I hope everyone on here is holding up okay, and I hope we will all be able to get back to normalcy soon. I shared with another friend today that I will never complain about my busy schedule again, I miss it terribly.

Sending love to everyone.

❤️Delilah
Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Covid is keeping me sober right now. Don't want to make a non essential trip to the shop for booze
Old 03-31-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Administrator

ABC Health & Wellbeing
By health reporter Olivia Willis

(Getty Images: Tara Moore)

It's normal to feel sad, stressed, confused, scared or angry during a crisis.

The coronavirus pandemic has profoundly disrupted the ways in which we live and work, and many of us are feeling understandably stressed, confused, and frightened.

All of this is completely normal, said Olivia Fisher, a mental health researcher at Queensland University of Technology.

"It's important to remember we're human, and most of us haven't dealt with something like this before," Dr Fisher said.

Feelings of worry and unease can be expected during a stressful event, but it's important to manage our stress before it turns into more severe anxiety or panic.

"If you're really overwhelmed or feeling anxious more days than not, that's when you need to be seeking some support," she said.

We all respond differently to crisis
In dealing with stress or anxiety related to COVID-19, we're likely to behave in different ways.

Some of us might choose to distract ourselves and try to switch off from what's going on, while others will seek constant reassurance from friends or family, or obsessively check the news.

According to Reach Out, signs of stress can include dips in mood, a lack of motivation, muscle tension, headaches, insomnia, irritability, and restlessness.

But how we each respond to stressful situations depends largely on our personal circumstances and personality, said clinical psychologist Michael Kyrios.

"Humans are pre-programmed to continuously estimate how likely it is that something negative is going to happen, and how severe that negative event or impact is going to be," said Professor Kyrios.

"People who are uncertain of themselves, or lack trust in others or the world because of their background, are going to be prone to overestimating the likelihood or severity of danger … and take more intense actions."

In the context of COVID-19, Professor Kyrios said some anxiety or concern was warranted, especially if it pushed people to take extra precautions with personal hygiene or physical distancing.

It could, however, in some cases, tip over into undue panic, and lead to unhelpful behaviours and thoughts.

"People who have got a tendency towards obsessive compulsive disorder or anxiety disorders, for example, might start having panic attacks," he said.

"We've seen elements of panic in the community with the stockpiling of toilet paper."

Everyone differs in their need for control, their tolerance for uncertainty, and their ability to be resilient, he said.

"All of these things work together with our sense of threat."

Many of us are already feeling the mental health impacts of the pandemic and the social distancing measures that seek to contain it.

Those of us with existing mental health problems are particularly at risk of distress, as well as those who are socially isolated because of age, disability, or the fact they live alone, Dr Fisher said.

"We know loneliness and isolation are high risk factors for developing mental health problems."

But with many people now facing the prospect of unemployment or financial insecurity, the mental health impacts of COVID-19 were likely to be even more widespread, Dr Fisher said.

"I think a lot of people have suddenly found themselves in a very vulnerable position," she said.

"It's the people who have lost their jobs, their purpose, their sense of identity, and sense of belonging in a work team.

"When all of that is suddenly taken away, those people can certainly be a high risk of experiencing anxiety and other mental health problems."

Looking after your mental health

Beyond Blue has put together tips to help people take care of their mental health during home isolation, but they're relevant for many of us who are simply physically distancing:

Remind yourself that this is a temporary period of isolation
Remember that your effort is helping others in the community
Stay connected with friends, family and colleagues via email, social media, or phone
Engage in healthy activities that you enjoy and find relaxing
Keep regular sleep routines and eat healthy foods
Try to maintain physical activity
For those working from home, try to maintain a healthy balance by allocating specific work hours, and taking regular breaks
Avoid news and social media if you find it distressing
Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

That was a very comforting and reassuring post Dee.

I love Beyond Blue.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

That's a good article, Dee. One thing that caught me eyes is how the author mentions "physical distancing". With people from one of my departments at work, we just discussed last week how the now popular term "social distancing" is inaccurate and it is physical distance we all should practice to minimize the spread, while keeping social contacts/support or even increasing them.

The first thing I read this morning (if you are able to access the NY Times) - an inspiring story of people who have lived long lives packed with many serious global challenges and still keep a positive, healthy spirit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/n...6153b6984b62cc
Old 03-31-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

I can see that it's highly contagious and I'm worried that I may also be susceptable to the current dangerous outbreak of mass hysteria going on around us. As a frontline key worker it's vital that I return to work - I make sheep coats by unravelling unwanted Christmas knitwear.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Good morning to everyone out there..... this virus has gotten everyone on edge and that is understandable.... I am not easy with this virus going around.

Maybe we need to just relax and do things that keep us busy at home like work, homework for the kids to do, teach young kids to get involved in some fun cooking projects , go for walks, ride bikes or even do projects that have been tucked away for many years............. Just find something to distract your mind some how......

I have been crocheting many blankets and that keeps me busy.... but I have other projects to pull out that would keep me busy and that is a great thing to do like trim all the plants I can away from the house so as not to disrupt the fruit that may be on each........ sort of like clean up and make things right...
Old 03-31-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I've never heard of Beyond Blue, but I like its name and that was a good article.

Thanks, Dee.

....and hugs to you from way up here.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon Aellyce. I thought most colds were Rhino viruses but hey, turns out they are Corona as well. Who knew? Well you did and probably everyone else

I've only had 1 fever of memory and it had nothing to do with a virus. I have nursed my daughter multiple times with the flu so I must have immunity of some kind. I just never get sick (knocks on wood)....colds maybe every few years. When I was a kid staying home from school meant emotional torture and guilt from my Mom if she had to miss tennis or bridge so we literally never stayed home. Haha. Maybe fear of my mean mother kept me healthy.

Yeah this is all very scary. Ya know how little kids love to read the same story over and over? Because they know what's going to happen. I think that's just woven into us, we don't like uncertainty. We like to know what's going to happen. And absolutely no one does. Our leaders are getting ill and are all over the place with information and policy. The captain of the ship is steering us off course. So that makes it worse. Maybe those of us who have tried getting sober have some pretty good tools to use, because it is much the same. We know what happens when we drink, even if its bad, its what we know. Recovery can be frightening at first because it's all new. Maybe those skills of mindfulness, pausing when agitated, letting go of fear based thinking, projecting into the future of the 'could be's', and just learning to be a human being, not a human doing, can help us? If there was ever a time to take up meditating I would say now is the time. I can't do it unless I'm moving so it's yoga for me....

Tip of the hat to all parents with young kids at home going crazy. Mine is 19 and she's losing it at times and it's challenging for sure.

Have a safe day. Try some mindful deep breathing. Get some exercise...good for those lungs. xoxoxox.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for posting that great article Dee.

I read an article in the WP yesterday that said moderate social distancing will save the US economy 8 trillion dollars by keeping over a million people alive who wouldn't otherwise.

Take care all!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I feel completely fine today. Maybe it was a minor cold or just anxiety, although my mood hasn't really been anxious during the past week, at least less than my normal, and anxiety doesn't normally produce a mild fever. Or there are also the really mild COVID cases or people infected who never even develop symptoms. Or what seems to be quite common, when the course of COVID fluctuates, it gets worse, better, worse etc. Whatever, not very useful to speculate. If there was a widely available, easy test we could do at home I probably would do it, in part because I would love to donate plasma/antibodies after a proven infection and recovery, but there is no such testing at the moment.

I don't get sick often either but do catch some bugs here and there with my lifestyle in big cities, lots of travel etc. I am fully prepared to get COVID-19 as well at some point, the surprise would be if I didn't. Just like it was projected for the virus in general 2-3 months ago here, the question is not if but when.

A more positive spin on the situation... People say moderate looking at the news and reading about the pandemic to keep our sanity, but for me it does not increase my anxiety much and following/discussing it is very stimulating (why I also keep coming to SR more now) - I hardly ever stop thinking about it and it's not only/primarily fear-driven for me. Well, to be more accurate, a lot of it is fear-driven, just like doing the precautions etc, but that's not what registers in my conscious mind primarily. So I care about controlling/moderating the curiosity to not distract me from work and chores that need to be done, but following the events doesn't affect my mood negatively much. I find it very interesting to see how everyone handles the situation, trends emerging, especially when people use the challenge as a catalyst for constructive change and growth. I think, for me, it is still a novelty effect to a large extent and I expect the curiosity to go down after a while, probably in line with the dynamic of the pandemic itself. I doubt I will continue following this and reading about it (and other pandemics) so much beyond. I am included to think this period will always remain in my memory as one of the spiritually most significant experiences of my lifetime because it already directs my attention to lots of life and values review and how to use this current for positive shifts in perspective, both individual and global. I was just thinking about this the other day when a friend asked me to list the three spiritually most significant experiences of my life so far and I did... but immediately thought this might become Top 1 with some time and reflection. One reason I am perpetually more in an elevated mood rather than anxious or depressed. It is possible though that most of it will die down post-COVID and there won't be significant habit and paradigm shifts, but right now I like to think it will have lasting impact in some constructive ways as well, not just in dealing with the destructive aftermath
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

My wife says no sore throat anymore. I am fine and have not asked my daughter yet this morning but she seems fine. Probably they were winded from working outside. they are wimps like that.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I wasn't sure if I am allowed to post this. But this article is wonderful, I think. s

Can Your Relationship Survive the Togetherness of a Pandemic? Here Are 11 Things Couples' Therapists Recommend
Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I wonder if I had the virus. Back in mid-february, 2 weeks after 1st case confirmed in my area, I came down with a very nasty bug. Fever, horrible cough, headaches, no energy at all....my chest had this weird tight sensation when I coughed too...and I was wheezing when I took deep breath and exhaled. Fast heart rate at one point too which was concerning..but anxiety could have played a role in that. No sore throat and my nose wasn't that stuffy. At the time I thought it was flu..which it probably was..however, I do get my flu shot every year...although I know that's not 100 percent effective. I would like to get an antibody test at some point just to make sure. The risk of covid was deemed low in Canada (my home) at the time in february when I was ill.

Stay safe everyone! And happy 24