Notices

StayCation Weekend - Weekenders 27- 30 March 2020

Old 03-28-2020, 12:49 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Wow Sao, it doesn’t look 4 degrees with that lovely clear sky, I would have guessed about 18....
Old 03-28-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Magsie

I saw this and thought it was quite amusing!

Then some bright spark piped up ‘Rio De Garagio’.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, I’m jealous! You’re going to the shops!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:01 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I need to go food shopping today. I wonder if I should wear a full body suit and respirator
You will get to enjoy the sunshine while you are outside the supermarket queuing!

I queued for an hour on Thursday despite getting there early.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I wandered around Florence yesterday, crossed the Ponte Vecchio, found my way to the Palazzo Pitti, and lost my way in the narrow streets as I hunted for the Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore.
All thanks to Google Earth
Old 03-28-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice to see you connected MB.
Bim was asking about you yesterday...

How are you ?
Old 03-28-2020, 02:26 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Saou, I’m jealous! You’re going to the shops!
Yeah but he cant go into the attic in his appartment now can he. If I was you Mags I would reserve first class travel to the attic for you and Mr Mags tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Atoll Atticus sounds a nice place for a staycation
Old 03-28-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny, I may make the journey alone to mount Atoll Atticus (thanks Willow! ). It’ll be like a shopping spree, I’ve mostly forgotten what’s in the attic!
Old 03-28-2020, 03:35 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Woke up this morning convinced it was Sunday and the clocks had gone forward. Only worked out it wasn’t when I checked my email and had one from Royal Mail saying my Shea Body Butter was arriving today. Going to have a scrummy big breakfast, grilled kippers and scrambled eggs with asparagus on sourdough toast. Not sure what I am going to do today as running out of things to do now but I am sure I’ll find something! How is everyone this morning? x
Old 03-28-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Sounds like a healthy option breakfast as well. I'll have some of our homemade sausage on the grill, wife will probably have waffles, and the kid will have both.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
I wandered around Florence yesterday, crossed the Ponte Vecchio, found my way to the Palazzo Pitti, and lost my way in the narrow streets as I hunted for the Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore.
All thanks to Google Earth
I chuckled out loud to this, thanks Caramel. Thank you. The first sentence was a a shock, but it is a super good idea for appreciating areas worse hit than our own.

Thanks Mags. Count me in !
Old 03-28-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Good day, Weekenders.

Decent weather forecast here today (it's 8 a.m.) , so I'll take care of some office work (I have a business call scheduled for 11 a.m.), then some gardening (outdoor spring cleaning) in the afternoon, plus dog-walks, including one over at the riverside park. Still haven't broken out the bicycle, but soon.

Right now: Resisting the urge to turn on the NPR (national public radio) morning news show. I've already read the overnight breaking news on line, (e.g. NY Times website), I gotta tamp down this nonstop over-attention to the petites detailles of every facet of the pandemic. The over-focus, for me, becomes yet another mechanism for my triple-P (my perpetual procrastination problem) to play out.

And now, right now: Butter up that hot cross bun beckoning me from the bakery box on the kitchen counter.

Catch u l8r.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
...Then some bright spark piped up ‘Rio De Garagio’.
That's where I'm spending my time! with inside locks on all doors. Hehe...
Old 03-28-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post:

Just woke up again it's 03:12. Gluey eyes.
I see Patterson connected, how are you doing ?
Anyways I might just try a cup of tea and see if I can get back to sleep a little later.

Hi Vman...

I'm hanging in there...some days better than others. I see you are doing well I read a lot on here but I feel embarassed to say much. Thanx for the call out...lol

Patterson,
Some days are better than others ✌️
Please dont be embarrassed.
Yeah I was doing well until about the begining of march. Then I started having a few beers, then more than a few. No triggers, no real reasons just stopped off in the supermarket. Sat in the car like for a few minutes but the relapse was well and long decided before that day. It's addiction it's not rational. I have no career problems, financial problems, health problems other than alcoholism. I was pretending I was ok here too on the weekender. Not really lying but pretending I was ok embarassed too to tell the real truth. I had been sober since the 12th of september and had been to rehab for 5 weeks. Over 5 months. Why am I telling you this, because you say you feel embarassed but dont be and what happened next is the true nature of the beast. This thing is real. As Bim said lately it wants to kill you but slowly, slow suicide. The worst kind. Addiction.
Beers turned to scotch. I went awol from work. Further down the bottomless pit.
Sunday the 15th around 19h I drove my car into a water dike only about 400m from home. A neighbor and good friend found me and rang mrs vman. I was furious because I had a tow truck already on the way and didnt want to be found out. Reputation. To make it worse Mrs vman was at the town hall because it was the local elections here in France and she was a candidate for the local council. And it was the count at the time. The tow truck pulled out my car and I was able to drive it home. Later my wife told me that I wanted to leave again later to go to the liquor store, can you believe that.. She hid the Keys of my car, my wallet and she even hid my shoes... There's a 7 year old little girl, an angel, in the middle of all this. Did it stop there, had I enough... No. Monday 16th and tuesday 17th mrs vman and mini vman went to stay at our friends. Mrs vman was working too. Wednesday she doesnt work so my wife got me to the GP. I got valium to sleep and withdrawl. Thought I was being honest sat there in front of the GP with tears almost in my eyes. Once I got home the devil addiction came back and it was yippee alcohol and valium. To conclude my wife found me on the floor of the sitting room on thursday evening, nose almost broken, cut, blood all over my face, bruises and cuts. I dont know how I was still alive. I dont know where I had been or who had seen me. On the friday I logged in here and said "Day 1 again here" that was 8 days ago. This $hit is real. Is this the worst that ever happened to me, not by a long shot. Why is my wife still with me, I can't explain it (21 years). I know I'm a real bad case but I can also be a pretty good guy, husband and dad. So we get back up and yes I was embarassed but I'm not throwing in the towel.

Fists up we can beat this. Positive Mental Attitude.

Even at 8 days the cravings and guilt have lifted. This lockdown couldn't have happened at a better time god forgive me for saying it.... My neighbor was more worried and wanted to help more than anything else.

My daughter asked me why sometimes I'm strange and with mrs vman we devised a plan for explaining a little.

Later when she is older I will explain the truth. But for that I have to be here, alive and sober.

Below one of the bruises to my side 8 days later...

I will be sober today. I'm feeling OK.
I will be reworking my plan.
Onwards.
🐸🐸
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20200328_130414_136.jpg (37.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Mr

Sorry about the encyclopedia I just wrote but I wanted to put it out there.

Gardening time 👍
Old 03-28-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Good morning to everyone!!! Enjoy the day! Took a walk last night to get the mail and I did look up to see a beautiful Moon and Venus burning brightly above it. I saw a post on here yesterday reminding us all to look up. I'm an amateur astronomer and got away from it almost entirely when booze took over. Walked back from the mailbox with a tear in my eye and told myself that soon I have to get back into it and get out there with my camera and tripod. I sold my telescope because I felt I just wasn't into it, but it turns out maybe the booze just wasn't into it

Nonetheless, watching me some Return of the Jedi this morning with a green tea and some toast
Old 03-28-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

jrU, hope you catch the ISS;the links posted by Reid are very good.

andyh; very funny; thanks for the chuckles.

Willow, I like roast roast chicken any time of the day. Roast chicken with whole berry cranberry sauce is my favorite. But a 16 year old - yikes.

Vman, the news is 24/7 COVID, too. I escape to HGTV. Oh, that bruise - heavens. Ouch.

Mags, may I join you for that ride on the Amalfi Coast? And you made me laugh out out with your closer to home destinations

Kaily; thank you. How,creative! People never to cease to amaze with their creativity.

Sao, that street looks eerily empty!

Good to see you Patterson. We are here for you.

Welcome, dig!

Caramel, oooo Florence; sounds nice.

Manta and CityBoy! breakfast sounds great. It is going to be peanut butter on a toasted English Muffin for me.

dontlookbacchus and Dragon! Good to see you.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Hello Willow,
Nope still drinking tea.
Watching one of those 24h news channels which has become basically à 24h covid Chanel now. We are in our second week of lockdown here and they have just announced 2 more weeks.
✌️����
It is nothing but COVID-19 now. There is surely other stuff going on in the world?? Surely.......
Old 03-28-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Vman, thank you so much for posting about your relapse.

I'm very glad you are still alive. I know I have had my last drink. . . hope you have too.