Notices

StayCation Weekend - Weekenders 27- 30 March 2020

Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in

Bim that cat in a mask gave me a giggle

Awwww Measdog ❤️❤️❤️

And another gorgeous pic Kaily

Lol the Petey fan club Kaily, Bim, Manta, Suze, Leigh, thanks ❤️ Petey really is adorable, he was all tired out in the photo I posted in the last thread. He’s a complete crazy kitty when he’s full of beans, tearing round and round the house like mad, up everything at 100 miles an hour (curtains, blinds, fly door screens, cupboards etc) that photo was in a rare moment before he fell asleep

Bim that’s a beautiful kite ❤️

Manta those neighbours sound very blasé and irresponsible

PJ if you’re reading here, a big congratulations on 4 years! Awesome work
Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Willow,

Your time zone means you get the weekender all to yourself sometimes... It's 03h45 here and just got up to have a Cup of tea so here's a virtual "cheers"

✌️
Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Hi Mags, I posted in another thread how it feels like Groundhog day! It doesn't feel like either a weekday or a weekend!
I agree Reid, it doesn’t feel like any day.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone. Third sober weekend.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Vinny, I love that quote. There is nothing as dead and as damned as an important thing. The things that really matter are casual, insignifiant little things.

MesaMan, gorgeous pic of MesaDog ❤️

Kaily, Alfie’s enjoying his wood walk. ❤️ You’ve certainly got some scenic places around you. I love woods though, if the trees could talk.....they’d make Alfie jump I shouldn’t wonder..

I’ve had baking on my mind too. I baked some fairy cakes yesterday but should’ve taken them out of oven a minute before I did!

There was a countrywide applause for the doctors and nurses and NHS last evening at 8pm. A lot of buildings turned blue!

This is Lincoln Cathedral.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi freedomfries, nice one on your third weekend!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
There was a countrywide applause for the doctors and nurses and NHS last evening at 8pm. A lot of buildings turned blue
Lots of people came out on to the street banging pots and pans, cheering and clapping. It was very moving.

We are in for the long haul with this pandemic.

I have always liked Mark Twain, he was right about most things.

Reid I have spun your pic around to save people's necks Nic painting, I guess the McLaren would be from the mid to late 1990s
Attached Images
Old 03-27-2020, 12:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Magsie

Forgot to say ‘clever dog’ Saou, taking himself for a walk.

Morning MantaLady
Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders,

Well I can honestly say I didn't hear any clapping from my street but I could hear some in the distance. I think the clap should include supermarket workers too, they are working so hard and must be constantly exposed to the virus.

I have to go to the hospital for a blood test today, slightly apprehensive but needs must.

Mags my Dad who lives alone has also been identified as of one the most vulnerable and told to stay in for 3 months. So as long as he conforms I will be doing all his shopping etc. Thing is I took shopping to him yesterday and he expected me to stay and chat. Potentially I will contaminate his home, it is very difficult to say no

Another day of sunshine here. Stay safe everyone.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Lots of people came out on to the street banging pots and pans, cheering and clapping. It was very moving.

We are in for the long haul with this pandemic.

I have always liked Mark Twain, he was right about most things.

Reid I have spun your pic around to save people's necks Nic painting, I guess the McLaren would be from the mid to late 1990s

Thanks saoutchik, my pics always end up sideways!!

It's a Ferrari, Schumacher's from the mid 00's, probably 2004 I think! I was meant to be going to the Spanish Grand Prix in May so it's obviously cancelled now!
Old 03-27-2020, 02:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Mr

Reid I was just thinking how clever it was the painting of the F1 car up on two wheels and then Sao ruined it all. I had thought it was a ferrari nevertheless.

Reid glad you had a better day. I threw away nearly 6 months and it went out of control really quickso dont give that thought a millisecond.

Greetings Mags

Go you freedomfries 👍

Kaily sounds complicated indeed. You will be a hand sanitizer ans antiseptic wipe pro.. Could you get deliveries to yours and bring them or something like drive...?
Sunshine here too ✌️

Nice to see PJ has read the posts.

Greetings Manta too ✌️

Take care all.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Reid I was just thinking how clever it was the painting of the F1 car up on two wheels and then Sao ruined it all. I had thought it was a ferrari nevertheless.

Reid glad you had a better day. I threw away nearly 6 months and it went out of control really quickso dont give that thought a millisecond.

Thanks. Yes, I know and understand fully. I had long (ish) periods in the past and things escalated quickly when I picked up again. I'm coming on 11 months this time around now but it never goes away!
Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders.

Congrats MLD51 on the quiz. First prize: You get to assist the sprog with the fence-painting, and to pay an apple for the privilege. You had an advantage in quiz-solving, perhaps, hailing from not too far from headwaters of the Mississippi, I'll venture to guess. Comparatively speaking, at least, in this international crowd. Without consulting the google I don't know what counts as the headwaters of the Big River. If you trace the Missouri (which eventually feeds into the Mississippi for the U.S.-geography-challenged reader) up, up, and up it starts somewhere high in the Rocky Mountains if I recollect correctly.

I hope the turkey turns out well. On the first day of spring a few days ago my niece sent a pic of the spring turkey they had prepared, with lemon and herb seasoning -- a success, said their party of two. Maybe next year, one hopes in more normal times, they'll make it a family affair.

Their turkey had only been frozen since 2019, but I agree your 2018 model should be ok. You'll have better luck, I trust, than we had with our first, and only, try with a tofurkey (that is a tofu-based faux turkey, to the uninitiated). Ours had been buried in the back of the freezer for 5 years or so, and when thawed and cooked had the consistency and flavor of roasted cardboard. So far I haven't tried again, to see whether a fresher one might actually be edible.

Reminds me (the faux-turkey follies remind me) of the first time my niece's mother (my older sister) and my niece's aunt (my other older sister) were left home as teenagers for a Sunday afternoon in charge of my niece's three uncles (jr and his two younger brothers). Circa 1963. The two high-school girls were tasked with cooking a pork roast and the trimmings for the five of us, while we three boys, no doubt, took it upon ourselves to run rampant around the ranch (that is to say the modest 1950s suburban-sprawl tract house), doing our best to create chaos (my memory is vague on the boys-gone-wild part).

The memorable part is, the two girls, dutiful students, remembered from biology class that undercooked pork can cause trichinosis, and were not about to allow the 5 of us to become grim statistics. So they baked, roasted, and cooked some more.

Long story short, our Sunday-afternoon dinner was (un)fashionably late. The term "desiccated cardboard" hardly captures the consistency. I'd say it was more of a sawdusty texture. We were sworn (bullied, more like) to eat every bite, to keep our parents from learning of this culinary disaster.

Anyways, happy spring turkey day, MLD.

I guess I qualify as a book-lover, Vman, though like most these days I succumb too often to the tender temptations of books' electronic competitors for our limited time and ever-shortening attention spans.

How was Freud? (On my e-try list.)

Thanks for the Kavanagh quote. Though the message is different, it reminded me of this one:

"Any idiot can be a hero in a crisis; it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

A version of the above is usually attributed to Chekhov, though a check of the google suggests that the Chekovian pedigree is a faux factoid.

Ok SobeRlandians, here we are in the midst of a crisis of everyday living. Chekhov or no, let's be heroic and not let it wear us out.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders - I'm in!

Thanks Mags for the thread. Although a 'staycation' is a nice idea, so far I'm being quite productive getting work done from home. I seem to be diverted quite a bit providing technical support for other colleagues. Still, it's good to feel useful.

As I type the news is breaking that our Prime Minister has the virus. I suppose this is a reminder of just how easily this thing spreads. As I've said before though, we'll all do our best. We had clapping in the street for the NHS last night - quite right too.

Some great posts on the thread so far this week. We are lucky to have such camaraderie in straitened times. I'm very envious of your turkey MLD - what a feast. Not so sure about your plant shakes Manta :-) Nice to see MesaDog and Alfie making an appearance.

Anyway, should get on. Stay close everyone, particularly those struggling or in early days. No matter how bothersome your AV, just stay away from that first drink.

Best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

A new series of Ozark, a particularly dark and depressing series with Jason Bateman on Netflix, has just dropped. That's the next couple of days productivity gone I do love this age of binge-watching series though. Kids today would be appalled at how it used to be - adverts, having to wait a week between each episode, three channels etc.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

FreeOwl posted about his 28 YO sister just dying from alcoholism. Silentrun lost a 33 YO family member a couple days ago to alcohol.

Anyone reading along in this thread, please be careful out there. It is common to have a momentary thought that a drink would be a good idea. I'm over six years sober and I still wish I could escape this current public health crisis in some way. Forget it for a minute. Live on another planet.

My chances of having "a" drink to relax are slim and none. Not gonna do it, no matter how many slithery slimy ways my addiction tries to worm its way into my psyche. I have my armor on, I have my defenses UP, I will not and can not give in.

28 YO.

My dad died at 41.

An ex died at 25.

It happens, and in meetings I heard it all the time. This thing wants to kill you. (Alcohol.) That is all it wants.

I woke up this morning a bit more anxious than I have been. I think the isolation is getting to me, and reading too much stressed me out yesterday.

Manta, I'm glad you got your shopping problem sorted.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah without I hope getting too grim and morbid I've lost friends, friends who were members of this site to active alcoholism.

each one of those early deaths started with 'just one drink'.
Its just not worth it.

My years in recovery have been the best of my life - even now I would not and could not swap my current life for my drinking one.

I love being sober
D
Old 03-27-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I cannot express in words how much better life is for me in every way now that I am sober for some time. In the beginning it was difficult. Now it's a blessing. Thanks, Dee.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thank you both.....and I feel the same way. ❤️

And with all of this, my gratitude for my sobriety has never been bigger than it is right now.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

MidnightBlue, if you're lurking, I would really like to hear from you - what's going on with this in your country? It seems no one is talking from there...you okay?