Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 1

Old 11-03-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hey Jimuk, awesome to see you. s
Yeah.....I made a lot of bad choices in drinking days......but we don't have to do that anymore. s ❤️
Old 11-03-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartAnew68 View Post
Tomorrow is going to be a ‘danger day’ for me.

Being self employed and having been hospitalised for a while plus still being too washed out to do anything but box set watch today my income is going to be drastically down this month.

I also lost a lot of work a few weeks ago when my dad has his stroke so money was already tight. As a result there will be bills I won’t be able to pay (a couple were behind anyway).

In the normal scheme of things I would bury my head in the sand (in the form of a bottle of wine or three!). BUT not this time. Have taken some herbal sleeping tablets as a couple of bad nights sleep and tomorrow will face my bills head by calling companies to either explain what’s going on.
It's so unpleasant to have to do stuff like this but even more unpleasant to let it go and procrastinate till they become mountainous. Good for you for grabbing the bull by the horns and giving the companies a heads-up. It really is the best course of action, I think.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

It's only the first day the clocks went back and I'm already feeling the depression. I despise winter!! I didn't really get out today to get any sunshine as I was doing stuff around the house, and now that it's dark at 5pm I wish I did.
Going to spend the rest of the night preparing for interview tomorrow. Get my clothes ready and maybe google some questions I might be asked. Trying to not "over prepare" or even think about it too much as I don't want to get myself all anxious and worked up.
Not going to drink. That would be a very, very bad idea. Just going to stay tucked up on the couch w/ dog, do some light preparation stuff and pay a few bills, then watch tv till it's time for bed.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Just be yourself. Really.

And daylight saving time annoys me....it messes with so many people.....we are out of it now......and it is light again at 7am.....and not as cold....so embrace it.....join me in the early morning sunshine. s
Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

If I get this job, I def will be joining you! I'll be getting up very early!
Old 11-03-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Bad news: I drank last night and I felt horrible this morning. Good news: I want nothing more to do with alcohol. I had a talk with my boyfriend this morning and I told him I'm going to try again, and that I'm serious about wanting to stop. He was supportive and said he thought it was a good idea. I told him that after last night, I've realized I can't be around alcohol at all for a while, even in low key situations, and he said that was okay. We'll have to feel out how that looks but basically, I'm going to ask that he not drink around me at all, at least for right now, and I'm going to be turning down invitations to anything where I think people might be drinking, even if it's just dinner or whatever. I'm not always going to have to be that strict but I have to string some days together again and get some success under my belt, and after last night I realized that I cannot be around people who are drinking right now. At all. I am just not strong enough yet.

Hugs to everyone, especially those also struggling... we can do this.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Clark, Jim and Travelbug

D
Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Hi all. End of day 1. Feeling anxious and worried about some choices I’ve made.
Hopefully be a brighter day tomorrow.
I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve tried and failed but here goes again.
Jim I remember you! I'm so excited to see you back here again. I've tried and failed a lot lately too but we can do this. Stay close to SR.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hey soberbythesea s

I think that is a great step...you need support in your life to do this. s xx
Old 11-03-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Finishing day 25.

These past few days have had a few strong cravings. Also starting to feel feelings of boredom. I do ride them out, though, and am eventually met with feelings of gratitude and wellbeing.

What helps is that I'm starting to see tiny results from the work I've put in this past 25 days. Looking a little better in the mirror, getting more and more done in various areas of my life. Things are starting to add up in a good way.

But there are waves of what I can only describe as self-hatred. I have an unconscious feeling that none of this will last (which is something I should work on via visualization techniques). I also sometimes sort of resent who I am while sober, as if there is a part of me that I don't have access to anymore. Obviously whatever benefits that part of me had came with a lot of baggage and consequences, so it is an idealization that I am having and not a realistic remembering. I wonder what lies underneath my conscious thoughts that makes me think I can't be as charming or whatever while sober? I am a very capable person.

I think I just need to keep cementing newer, positive memories and habits so that my self-image doesn't have so many potholes in it.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:04 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good night class. I am thankful for every one of you.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:08 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I love this forum - people saying goodnight as I’m about to say good morning. Thousands of miles apart but we’re all here together.

Nothing to report here. Ready to dash to the living room to get the fire on and kitchen to get the kettle on.

Have a great day all and to those who are struggling, we are behind you all the way XX
Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Good morning! Day 5 here, and it's freezing cold. (-10 degrees Celcius)

Was going to change tires today, but I couldn't get the trunk open, it had frosen shut. Struggling with anxiety right now, my job situation isn't the best and I need to do something about it. But what?

Wish you a wonderful day.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Morning all

I am happy to be waking up to Day 2. I can feel a bit of a cold just starting to come on. I'd like to stay home and rest, but we are closing out data at work for the month of October so I'll have to go in for at least part of the day. Also, I know my body well enough to know it's going to get a lot worse, and soon... better I go in now and get some things done before I start to feel really bad. I can stay home tomorrow or the next day if needed. I'm happy though that this is coming at a time when I'm not super crazed at work, as I have been for the past month or so. Missing a couple days this week won't be a big deal if it does need to happen. Also, on the plus side, being sick will make me not want to drink.

Everyone have a great day
Old 11-04-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I wandered lonely as a gherkin.

Good afternoon everyone.
Today is one of those days where I think, what do I care? Why not just get hammered? What does it matter?
Now I'm not going to drink because I've got this rule you see, and I'm sticking to it but it's on days like this that it starts. I know it wrecks your life but maybe my life is already wrecked or if it's not it should be.
There's no inner battle, I just want to smash it all up. I know how dangerous this drinking is, I take that all into account but so what? This is it, it's a day like today that I decide that that's what I want.
As I say, I'm over it now; I remembered how boring drinking is - and it is isn't it? Now I just don't want to do it, today or ever. But what I want wavers all over the place. Got to be careful when I make these sudden decisions.
Anyway, I'm not doing anything much today or tomorrow but on Wednesday I'm attending a beheading. Not really, only joking - the beheading's on Tuesday.
Don't drink - Life's too short to be crap.
Look after yourselves everyone.

PS: I feel a lot better now.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Good for you for posting instead of drinking, taplow. Hugs.

I decided to stay home after all. The longer I was up the worse I felt... and I am tired of not taking care of myself.

I made a strong cup of tea with honey and lemon and I'm parking myself in front of the TV with the cat for the day. Everything else will still be there tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe787 View Post
Finishing day 25.

These past few days have had a few strong cravings. Also starting to feel feelings of boredom. I do ride them out, though, and am eventually met with feelings of gratitude and wellbeing.

What helps is that I'm starting to see tiny results from the work I've put in this past 25 days. Looking a little better in the mirror, getting more and more done in various areas of my life. Things are starting to add up in a good way.

But there are waves of what I can only describe as self-hatred. I have an unconscious feeling that none of this will last (which is something I should work on via visualization techniques). I also sometimes sort of resent who I am while sober, as if there is a part of me that I don't have access to anymore. Obviously whatever benefits that part of me had came with a lot of baggage and consequences, so it is an idealization that I am having and not a realistic remembering. I wonder what lies underneath my conscious thoughts that makes me think I can't be as charming or whatever while sober? I am a very capable person.

I think I just need to keep cementing newer, positive memories and habits so that my self-image doesn't have so many potholes in it.
As simplistic as it sounds, the voice inside of us....well, I will just speak for myself.....my AV will tell me anything to get me to drink.....maybe not these days, I have practiced telling it to go away for a long time now, but earlier, in the first few months sober in 2014, I heard similar chatter going on in my head.

.....oh this is boring......

What exactly? Being alive and healthy and capable of getting up and going anywhere I want such as a movie or out for food or a walk or to see a friend or something arty and crafty (I lived in the middle of all of that) or even just go to the dog park and watch the dogs and ducks.

That was my AV. And so is the idea that I could never be as much fun sober.....Errr......I am way more fun. 1000 times more fun. I am actually funny now....I got used to people laughing at me, not with me. This is an awesome change.

So this is my belief....these are thought attacks......sneaky let me get in there and tell you why this will not work thought attacks by a very determined AV.

And love and hello everyone.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallingLeaves View Post
Good morning! Day 5 here, and it's freezing cold. (-10 degrees Celcius)

Was going to change tires today, but I couldn't get the trunk open, it had frosen shut. Struggling with anxiety right now, my job situation isn't the best and I need to do something about it. But what?

Wish you a wonderful day.
So much love dear FW

I am also really anxious today.....to be perfectly honest, I am still terrified of the cold, and it got cold fast. And it isn't even cold for a lot of Americans....6C, 43F.....but this little Aussie black cat is frozen. I get scared about going out....I have to rug up and then school is radically overheated and then my eczema goes insane.

I am wondering if I can continue my course to be honest. I can't stand the stress of constantly being unwell and I need to consider what that means going forward.

Whoosh.....sorry.....guess I need some help today to sort myself out.

Back to you.....well, you are a wonderful writer, and like me, could be earning a living this way. Maybe? Just a thought. xx
Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Morning all

I am happy to be waking up to Day 2. I can feel a bit of a cold just starting to come on. I'd like to stay home and rest, but we are closing out data at work for the month of October so I'll have to go in for at least part of the day. Also, I know my body well enough to know it's going to get a lot worse, and soon... better I go in now and get some things done before I start to feel really bad. I can stay home tomorrow or the next day if needed. I'm happy though that this is coming at a time when I'm not super crazed at work, as I have been for the past month or so. Missing a couple days this week won't be a big deal if it does need to happen. Also, on the plus side, being sick will make me not want to drink.

Everyone have a great day
You sound so good, other than the oncoming cold!!!
Good plan I think.....again..... xx
Old 11-04-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Taplow...... huge smiles.....my favourite Blake poem.

London

I wander thro’ each charter’d street,
Near where the charter’d Thames does flow.
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infants cry of fear,
In every voice: in every ban,
The mind-forg’d manacles I hear

How the Chimney-sweepers cry
Every black’ning Church appalls,
And the hapless Soldiers sigh
Runs in blood down Palace walls

But most thro’ midnight streets I hear
How the youthful Harlots curse