Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 1

Old 11-05-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hi all, nearing the end of day 3. I'm still feeling pretty sick - sneezy and slept a good part of the afternoon - but I have more energy than I did this morning or yesterday. I'm hopeful that by the time I wake up in the morning I'll feel OK to go back to work. I am supposed to have dinner with my bf and his 96-year-old grandmother tomorrow night, and i'm a bit unsure if I should go through with that because I don't want to make her sick. But I will see how I feel tomorrow.

In the meantime, continuing to rest. I had a ticket to go see What Lies Beneath at my local movie theater at 9:30 tonight (I love scary movies and they play old ones every Tuesday.) I don't think staying up that late is going to be a good idea for me tonight, but I found the movie on Prime so I think I'm going to watch it at home around 7 pm and then go to bed

Hope everyone has a nice evening, I'll keep checking back to see how you all are.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

That sounds good....I love that movie. s
Old 11-05-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
That sounds good....I love that movie. s
Glad I'm not the only one My bf also just texted and said he'd stop by so that will be nice. I hope I can get him to watch this movie with me
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Day number one is almost complete. I just had some mac and cheese and I will be winding down. I get up early and it will be nice to be clear headed in the morning.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Super glad I am not drinking tonight and that my husband hasn't either. I got home from picking my oldest son up from basketball practice and my hubby said you need to look at middle sons hand as soon as I walked in the door. He had tripped and knocked down a picture and the glass shattered and he's got a good gash in the side of his hand. Hubby is headed to our doctor with him right now after sending a pic to him of it. I'd say hes probably going to need 2 stitches. If we had been drinking.... I don't even want to think about it. Super duper glad to be 22 days sober and clearheaded.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you were able to 'be there' Citrus.
Hopefully it's not a bad gash.

D
Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. 3 stitches, definitely needed fixing up. I'm sure he will mend well. Our doctor checked out the littlest's foot and the antibiotics and soaking are doing their job. My boys are a bit of a mess this week!

My daughter got her driver's license today. That was exciting. She was very happy. AV was annoying for a little while saying celebrate. I said no thank you and got a root beer for my chauffeured ride home.

Time for me to hit the hay. I need to be up bright and early in the morning. Goodnight all!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Day 27 at an end.

I think it's safe to say that I'm white knuckling at this point. My mind keeps thinking about "once you reach 30 days." As if I'll reward myself. The mantra of one day at a time applies here. I'll need to be very mindful/present when getting through day 31, which is a Saturday so temptations will likely be high.

I'll post. About two years ago I made it to 30 days and some change. Meaning it's been two years since I've had 30 days sober. I need to get beyond this barrier. Part of it is the mental barrier of saying "forever" instead of 30 days, 60 days, etc. I haven't renounced it all the way. I don't know if that will help or put immense pressure on me.

So one day at a time it is.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

If we could solve our problem by not drinking for 30 days we'd all have done that Joe - many of us tried, including me

Don't confuse abstinence for control. They are not the same thing

Forever is not so scary when you consider it one day at a time.

D
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Don't confuse abstinence for control. They are not the same thing

Forever is not so scary when you consider it one day at a time.

D
I’m going to add those sentences on to two sticky’s to add to the ones on my front door!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Wise words, as always, Dee, thank you.

Citrus-hope your boys recover soon.

Another excuse-congrats on day 1

SBTS-enjoy the film. the only thing I am fit for at 9.30pm is bed!!

Day 4. I feel much better today and woke naturally without the alarm. i've not drunk every night for the last few weeks but most. So even on nights off I had little sleep and felt rubbish the next day. This is the first time in I don't remember how long that I've got to day 4 and starting to feel better.

Though ime, in probably all our experiences, it's easier not to drink when feeling ill in the first few days. The real problems starts when starting to feel better and a drink seems appealing.

The real work starts today. I want to do ODAAT but I don't want to think I might drink at the weekend too. This is why AV/RR worked so well for me before as it really helped remove all thoughts of drinking . Of course I still have to take it a step/day at a time but it stopped me forward thinking that drinking might be a possibility at the weekend

Anyway, just some morning ramblings from me.

Hope those who've not posted in a couple of days are ok-thinking of you all.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

The real work starts today. I want to do ODAAT but I don't want to think I might drink at the weekend too.
I think whatever approach we take it needs to be totally abstinence based RAL.

The One Day at A Time approach people talk about in places like AA is abstinence based.

I wouldn't see value in an an approach for any of us that was 'I'll be sober today but all bets are off Friday through Sunday'.

D
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

My 18th day.
Busy day today - for me. I've got a lot to do in the morning then meeting a couple of drinking friends later this afternoon though I'm not drinking of course.
The way I see it is that a couple of drinks might be harmless - "it's only a couple," - but really I'd really be picking up for the next month and then have to start all over again, and it's not a thing I want to do anyway. I don't want to hide away though.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Day 2 has begun. It is 4:40 am and I am about to start the workday. Congrats to everyone on still plugging away. It definitely makes things a little less complicated knowing that I am not alone on this journey.
Stay strong everyone and I will be back here after work.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
My 18th day.
Busy day today - for me. I've got a lot to do in the morning then meeting a couple of drinking friends later this afternoon though I'm not drinking of course.
The way I see it is that a couple of drinks might be harmless - "it's only a couple," - but really I'd really be picking up for the next month and then have to start all over again, and it's not a thing I want to do anyway. I don't want to hide away though.

Have a good day everyone.
Do your friends know you are not drinking tap? Will they support and encourage or try and persuade you to have just a couple.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hi ReadyAtLast,
I already said I'm not drinking so it's okay. I'm off to London next week so I'm getting in training for it. A.bit pf.a test run.
itll be alright. I say friends but only one is a real friend and its whoever he brings along. My.only problem is being in a drinking place on my own..
I'm on a train right now and am typing on my phone but.dont have my reading glasses so apologiies of it's a.load of gibberish.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

taplow good luck this afternoon. I have discovered I am not at all strong enough to be around drinkers or drinking anytime soon but I do know it can be done, just not by me right now.

Day 4. Last night was nice, my bf came over and was a good sport and watched my movie with me. Even though he had to get up really early to be home for his cleaning lady today, and even though I might make him sick. He must love me lol. I’m still feeling sick today (have reached the stage of constant nose blowing) but I think I’ll be okay to go in to work for at least part of the day. I may leave early. If I miss three full days in a row, I have to have a doctors note and it’s not worth going to the doctor just for a cold.

I don’t have any plans to go anywhere else though so day 4 should be an easy one, especially with still being ill.

Have a good one all.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:39 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Good afternoon, class. Day 7 for me. Have been in a meeting with my boss and we have agreed that I should work less in the time coming. Huge burden lifted from my shoulders. Don't like starting my days with anxiety and coming home with a splitting headache. I have also decided that I won't be going to a party on Friday, where everyone will be drinking. Free booze is too tempting, I better stay away. Will try to write a bit today, at least 500 words.

Hope you all are doing well!
Old 11-06-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

That is really good love.
So glad for you. : ❤️

And of course he loves you dear SBTS s ❤️
Old 11-06-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe787 View Post
Day 27 at an end.

I think it's safe to say that I'm white knuckling at this point. My mind keeps thinking about "once you reach 30 days." As if I'll reward myself. The mantra of one day at a time applies here. I'll need to be very mindful/present when getting through day 31, which is a Saturday so temptations will likely be high.

I'll post. About two years ago I made it to 30 days and some change. Meaning it's been two years since I've had 30 days sober. I need to get beyond this barrier. Part of it is the mental barrier of saying "forever" instead of 30 days, 60 days, etc. I haven't renounced it all the way. I don't know if that will help or put immense pressure on me.

So one day at a time it is.
Once you reach 30 days you can reward yourself with poison .....it tastes good (maybe) but destroys our bodies and souls. So it is not very sound logic by any of us, I don't think.

If we were diabetics, would we reward our good health with a sugar blowout? Nope.

I truly believe if we can see this as a disease it can change our understanding of how we need to manage it. White knuckling is crazy hard....you need help Jo s

From a doctor perhaps, and a counsellor and maybe a support group....12-step or otherwise. We need to build tools that we can lean on to make our decision to stop drinking permanent....so we can be healthy and happy and live our lives. s

Sorry if that sounds all soap-boxy.

❤️