Notices

Thank You Weekenders. 22-24th Sept

Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I can 100% say this thread and my Class thread got and kept me sober. It's hugely important. Thank you to Mex, Ken and Sao for all the great weekends.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

LBrain! Always great to see you back!

I would love to read the insights of either you or Bim!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik

OK it's off to Crazy Golf. For those not familiar with my Friday evening routine it's an old converted warehouse. In addition to the Crazy Golf course there are bars there so my (normie) friends can get a drink but it is not drink focused so most Fridays I do not have to fight the urge to drink, those that want to do their "real" drinking before or after (I prefer before because it means I have a better chance of winning) I think it is a good compromise, works for me anyway.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

May you completely dominate tonight, Sao!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sao, "thank you" seems inadequate for all you've given to these passages on SR for the last year. Your kindness, wit and wisdom shone through without fail. You're a class act.

Life moves so swiftly. It's hard to believe I've been sober a little more than four years now. I may not get to SR as often as I did previously but it still occupies a big part of my heart.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I should add that if we're looking for people to do an opener every once in a while, I'm open to it. Sao graciously turned it over to me once before and it was a positive experience.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hi everyone.

Having Internet issues.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi I'm having all kind of issues and it seems every time I try to sober up this happens.

I won't drink today but man my life is a mess. I have money problems, marriage problems and relationships problems.

Nothing is right ☹️I won't drink over it
Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

And work problems too😾
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Everybody seems to be mad at me and I just said to myself God I'm really trying can I get a hand here😒
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Stay strong and keep doing your best, SAH. You will catch a break soon, I’m sure.

Venecia, I’d love your insights, too!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thank you Gilmer I hope so because I had this illusion and I guess every alcoholic have it that if I stop my life will get better.

Only 5 days in but what can I do I'm used to instant gratification and manipulation.

So I have to break lots of habits.😞
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

SAH- great job on day 5!! Those old habits are hard to break but it is so rewarding when you start working on them. It takes time. Just keep your side of the street clean and everything will work itself out.

Hi Della- good to see another person from my old class!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
OK it's off to Crazy Golf. For those not familiar with my Friday evening routine it's an old converted warehouse. In addition to the Crazy Golf course there are bars there so my (normie) friends can get a drink but it is not drink focused so most Fridays I do not have to fight the urge to drink, those that want to do their "real" drinking before or after (I prefer before because it means I have a better chance of winning) I think it is a good compromise, works for me anyway.
Was just reading this thread and noticed this. I've been trying to come up with my next investment and I'll be damned! I had taken two weeks off from work after my business trip last week(minus phone calls and emails) for some much needed me/family time. Now I'm going to look into starting something like this. We have a very large(multiple locations across the US) golf complex here,but our mini golf is very lacking. I also already have the location in mind and just sent a text to my real estate broker to get back to me about price/availability. If this comes together it will be one of my biggest ventures to date and I'm doing it sober(most of my 'creations' came from a drunken mind). Thank you!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wow! I am so touched to see all you folks!

Sah sobering up does not change our external factors it just gives us a chance of dealing with them, plenty of drinkers do not have a partner (me for instance) or a job so things could be worse. Congratulations on 5 days and don't be too hard on yourself.

I was a creditable runner up tonight, a late surge did not quite carry me to victory but close.

bim you mentioned music - from Sheffield.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I have had a very hard day...actually a very hard week but today was just the pits. I really underbooked the theatre list for today, then one patient was supposed to be admitted last night for surgery this morning and they sent for her this morning. So my consultant arrived down and asked why the list was so short? They had done the two kids and the anaesthetists were fed up waiting around and wanted to go home. So I said the lady is on her way up to theatre (and she was supposed to be the big case for today) so he said in future always overbook the lists. That way if there are no adult beds at least they will have kids and day cases to do. I tried to explain as best I could but unfortunately I still get awkward and tongue tied when put on the spot.

My colleagues saw my face I guess and told me not to let this ruin my day. That the consultant should be checking my lists on a weekly basis and tell me to make any changes he wishes. At this point I was ready to hid in the toilet and cry. But I have spent my life hiding in corners feeling bad and I refuse to give anyone the satisfaction of breaking me.

I got an angry call from someone else in relation to something. They told me that the junior doctor from another team called her and was really really nasty to her. Then she in turn was nasty to me. I explained that I had called that ward during the week and asked to speak to whoever was looking after this patient and told them we would be bringing her down for a procedure Friday afternoon. I guess they didn't bother making a note of it as apparently no one had heard of it. I spend my whole working days sending off e-mails and attachements which I guess people just don't bother to open. So what's the point then?

Anyway I was very polite to the person on the phone and she did calm down and apologise. See how the circle of nastiness works? She got yelled at and in turn yelled at me. At least I was nice and broke that circle of badness.

After I got home I realised I forgot to call the ward to tell them about next weeks patients but I did e-mail all the booking forms etc. I cannot spend my whole weekend worrying about this so if anyone calls me next week to yell at me I am just going to say I tried calling Friday afternoon but no one picked up the phone.

I have Monday off as I have to go to the other hospital for a final check up and x-ray on my wrist. I will be queuing for hours and my manager said I have so much annual leave to use I may as well take the day off. Spending the day hanging around won't be much fun but I really really need a break from the consultant I work for, and I guess he probably feels the same. Sometimes its hard to keep the head, spirits and faith up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (8.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Was just reading this thread and noticed this. I've been trying to come up with my next investment and I'll be damned! I had taken two weeks off from work after my business trip last week(minus phone calls and emails) for some much needed me/family time. Now I'm going to look into starting something like this. We have a very large(multiple locations across the US) golf complex here,but our mini golf is very lacking. I also already have the location in mind and just sent a text to my real estate broker to get back to me about price/availability. If this comes together it will be one of my biggest ventures to date and I'm doing it sober(most of my 'creations' came from a drunken mind). Thank you!
I will expect a free game

All I can say DR is that it attracts a wide demographic.

I am going to bed soon but I thought I would post this track before I did. I hope you can see it stateside. Musically it is hardly the greatest tune ever but it was filmed at my old school, some 20 years after I left. It still brings back memories. Our most famous and to be honest only famous alma mater is Marina Sirtis aka Counsellor Deanna Troi of Star Trek - the Next Generation - disappointingly she is a Tottenham Hotspur supporter.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

The Sheffield video works, but not the one from your school.

Bummer.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I was in a similar situation 3 and a half years ago SAH except mine was drugs. Sobriety is possible, not easy but worth it.
Always remember that alcohol will solve no problems and may create more.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I was and every day drinker, but the weekends, well mostly payday weekends was when I consumed the most. It's the 'hard week i deserve it' attitude.

About six months into my sobriety I faced the toughest challange of my life when I my daughter wanted to take her own. I thank god that I was sober enough to face it head on and not go hiding in the bottle. I'm sure that made a world of difference to how things worked out.

We'll always have problems SAH, but facing them sober is so much easier.