SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thank You Weekenders. 22-24th Sept (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/416271-thank-you-weekenders-22-24th-sept.html)

saoutchik 09-21-2017 03:07 AM

Thank You Weekenders. 22-24th Sept

1 Attachment(s)
The alcoholic or addicted user wants his or her poison every day but there is no doubt that the weekend adds a certain piquancy to that desire and for many of us it allows the extra time and freedom from responsibilty to indulge in our addictions.

This thread is all about helping each other through what should be the best days of the week, sharing experiences and hopefully taking pleasure in life along the way.

I first started posting in Weekenders over two and a half years ago when it was lead off each week by the excellent Ken aka Weasel1966. I took over opening the thread from Dee nearly a year ago.

I have had a wonderful time both as a regular poster and opening the thread but I am coming up to 1000 days sober andI feel that now is the right time to step down from opening the thread before I begin repeating myself grandad Simpson style.

I do hope that the thread will continue, if it does I will definitely be posting. Weekenders has played such a big part in my recovery because it deals with the more general or day to day realities of staying sober as opposed to the more specific posts elsewhere on SR.

I would like to end by offering a huge thank you to anyone who has ever posted here and thus contributed to my ongoing recovery.

Saoutchik

Dee74 09-21-2017 03:11 AM

Thanks for all your hard work Sao - it's been much appreciated by me and by others, I know :)

I'm sure this thread will continue, even if Anna or I have to start the new thread ourselves every week.

Interested bodies can let me or Anna know by PM :)

D

happyandfree 09-21-2017 03:20 AM

Almost shotgun?

happyandfree 09-21-2017 03:27 AM

I went back and read your intro, Sao. Sorry to see you go but thank you for keeping weekenders alive for the past year. It's such a great idea to help us through the weekends, which can be so difficult in the beginning.
So....I'm definitely in for another sober, wonderful weekend.
:)

STDragon 09-21-2017 03:50 AM

:c021:

MLD51 09-21-2017 03:51 AM

HAF - shotgun is yours! Dee can't have it because he's a mod.

Sao- thank you for your wonderful openers this past year or so, and congratulations on your upcoming 1000 days. I celebrated 1000 while I was in Bali, and it was a nice milestone.

I'm definitely in for another sober weekend! Nothing much planned, but that's ok!

Silverback4 09-21-2017 03:56 AM

Thank you SAO, only sorry I have missed many of your earlier weekender openers.

I am in for this weekend. Long holiday weekend in the UK so always more tempting to "let your hair down" but I will be 14 days on Monday so nothing is going to compromise that.

Thanks again.

STDragon 09-21-2017 03:58 AM

SAH in response to your post in the previous weekenders. It's a little to early for you to start thinking about christmas. That's your A/V messing with your head. Take it slowly and shutdown that voice when you start thinking ahead of yourself.

I like what Gilmer said about making the comparison with previous employers. But don't forget, when your drinking, it shows right thru too your job too. Staying sober is the only way to gain your confidence back and show improvment in the job place too.

Gilmer 09-21-2017 03:58 AM

I’m in.

Thank you very much, Sao, for all of your wit and wisdom.

lunar 09-21-2017 03:59 AM

Thanks for taking the time to care, Saou!

Thanks to Weasel (Ken), also!

And Dee, for being the cornerstone of this foundation!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

STDragon 09-21-2017 04:00 AM

another UK long weekend?!?!?!

Behan 09-21-2017 04:14 AM

Greetings all,

I am happy to join in for this weekender.

Many thanks to our venerable chairman Sao for diligently opening and contributing to the weekenders, bringing his wisdom and wit to bear on our common experience of trying to live well without resorting to chemical detachment. Your input has been most appreciated here and has touched many.

B

site1Q84 09-21-2017 04:16 AM

Sao, thanks for everything you do on here, and congrats on 1000 days.

I'm in for this weekend :)

Soberandhealthy 09-21-2017 04:48 AM

Thank you Sao we will miss you on the weekender i hope you keep posting:)

Im in day 5. thank you STdragon for your advice and Gilmer and Sao. I will try to talk it easy and keep it simply a lot of how i feel are my emotions towards other people. I think that manager don't know how to talk to people and i should not lose sleep over it. life will still go on.

off to work and most importantly won't drink today. see you at the weekend:)

saoutchik 09-21-2017 04:52 AM

Thank you for those kind words Dee and thank you to everone else too, great to see some familiar avatars again, it has been an absolute blast for me.

Congratulations on shotgun happyandfree!

Great post Dragon - no long weekend in the UK though, at least not in my part of it.

MidnightBlue 09-21-2017 05:03 AM

Thank you so much for another thread, Sao!

Congrats on your 1000 days milestone!

I am somewhat sad about your decision, but they say that all good things come to an end...

I am in for another sober weekend!

Speaking of days - I tried to find sober calculator and can't locate it. Is it still available at SR? I think I should hit somewhere about 1500 days by now. And I loved that sober calculator counted sober heartbeats! It's such an inspiration to see that almost five years started with one sober beat, which is less than a second. It shows that sometimes a second-worth action can be one of the most important in life.

My plans evolve around my boxing-kickboxing and work. I feel that I am ready to expand other areas too, like making more friends and socializing. I've never been much of a socializer, but meeting new people who share the same interests can be great experience.

Have a great day, weekenders!

Zanna 09-21-2017 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by STDragon (Post 6611296)
another UK long weekend?!?!?!

Not that we know of :) Perhaps he's having an extra day off :)

Upward2Enlightenment 09-21-2017 05:33 AM

Congratulations Sao!

Nowhere near shotgun but I did make the first page.

Olive1 09-21-2017 07:07 AM

I dusted off my SR login after a long and busy summer to hang with the Enders and now our driver is stepping down! :(
I am in agreement that the Weekender thread has always felt like my home group, my tribe of people. Back when it started with Weasel, I would hang out all day! (I had a very lazy job back then ;) )
It has always been a safe place to come to. A place that even when I have not been in a long while, I can feel like no time has passed. A place where the daily living of a funny, dramatic, quiet, important, eventful, and even humdrum sober life is supported.

Thank you for all of your hard work, Sao, keeping this place open for business!
You thoughtful posts and charm, your support of everyone has been a blessing.

Cheers to you! :hug:

lunar 09-21-2017 07:18 AM

I vote for MLD to take over the weekender thread.

Who's with me....?

YEAHHHHH!!!!