Notices

Be as you are Weekender August 5th Part 2

Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
That sounds right Venny, Holkham Pottery is quite well known (among pottery folk) and there are still a lot of airbases in that part of the world, maybe because it is so flat. If I had known I would be going there I would have done a bit of research.

If you were a young person when you visited Venny you would be more likely to prefer a Ferris Wheel than a dusty old house - I expect most kids would . There were tons of children in the grounds with biking , kayaking and dangling from zip wires etc but none in the house itself
Indeed, it's Holkham Pottery.

When Mom was a young woman teaching at the air base, she had two mugs made for my grandparents. When she and Dad were getting married, my sweet grandmother wrote to the pottery in England and ordered mugs with their names on them. (I have no idea how she converted dollars into pounds ... all by mail, a zillion years before the internet and I'm sure she had no credit cards.) When I came along, Grandma did again and got one made with my name on it. Three years later, the same when my brother was born.

I actually wasn't all that young when we were there. It was 1994. I did google and found that there is some type of fair on the grounds so my memories of a ferris wheel proved accurate.

This is on the bottom of my dear father's mug. I now have his, Mom's and my own. The mugs, too, are very dear to me. The stamp on the bottom of Dad's mug was the clearest of the three; here it is.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hugs, Melly and SU.

I'm crazy about coconut flavored LaCroix. The only thing I don't like is that this is the first beverage I've purchased in a long time in such volumes. And I have to take bags full of clanking cans down to the recycler. It reminds me of the bad ol' days.

I missed out on all the fun in re: Mesa's butte. But I enjoyed it a lot!

Hope Marty is having a safe trip home.

Behan, at the moment I cannot remember the name of the movie, but the flick with Paul Dano and John Cusack as the younger and older Brian Wilson was quite good.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Cool stuff, Ven!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Peach-pear LaCroix is really good.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Nice trip home so far. Train is a tiny bit behind schedule, but we should still be at our house before 10. Had dinner in the dining car. I had Salisbury Steak. It tasted exactly like the Swanson's TV dinners I used to get as a kid. So that was kind of fun. I'm not doing a great job keeping up with the thread. Phone service has been spotty. No wifi on the train. Hope everyone is ok.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hi everyone -
just checking in to say hi...
nothing new around here -I guess that's good news.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I love the pottery story. Venny! I go nuts over antique dish-ware of any sort! I sometimes think I missed my calling as an antiques dealer.

Marty, when I think of the train I think of Sex and the City...the girls travel by train to San Francisco and it's not at all like they had dreamed.....although your trip sounds pretty cool yay!

I babysat after work and that helped the pms crap, although now I think I'm getting a pimple lol!

I'm too tired too go to the store can someone please send chocolate and ice cream?!?!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Weather Weirdness...

On short notice, we headed down to a nearby Big City for Lunch & Errands. Himalayan Buffet. Yum City! Lamb Meatballs. Peas in AmazeBall Sauce. Some kinda red Sauce Chicken we'd never had before, and which I did not bother to catch the name of. A very gracious Family-run Joint.

Dropped several hundred Buckaroos at the Fish/Meat Monger. Top Grade stuff that we splurge on occasionally. A stop at the Ranch Supply Store for more Mouse Repellent Pouches for the Vehicles. Kinda Piney_y smelling. All Natch Ingredients. Mondo Recycling run. We just missed this Cloud Bank we'd heard about on the Radio via that startling Alert Tone that cuts into Programming [a good thing]. I could see this Cloud sparking Lightning off in the distance. It strongly resembled Marge Simpson's Hair. ~45,000' tall if it was a Foot. In this Weather, I've learned to recon for covered Bank Drive Through Lanes, or Bridges, or massive, old Trees to hide a Vehicle under. Hailed trashed 2 of my SUVs. MesaMate's newer SUV Xover getting Hailed on would lead to a significant PMS-style Outbreak 'round here.

Driving to the Recycling Joint, I start to see all this standing Water, and this 'Carpet' of shredded Leaves on the Road. 3/8" Hail had pummeled the area. See below a Hail pile against a Recycling Container. I'm really hoping that Crops came out OK. On an 88 F [31 C] Degree Day, it takes a seriously-tall Cloud to create internal freezing that produces Hail. Up here in now in MesaVille, me & MesaDog are enjoying a lovely Breeze in the Shade.

Former Volleyball Jockette & Coach MesaMate is very happy with the Olympic Video via Roku. She was fretting NFL Football not being available, so we'll simply spring for the $99- NFL Package on Roku that includes all 256 NFL Games. That's one Month of what we were paying for Dish Network, and the Vid quality is superb in comparison. A lil Vinegar overnight in the 'slow' Master Bath Sink Drain to clear it, and I'm a Rural Rock Star today!

Happy Wife = Happy Life.

The Film about Brian Wilson...

- Love & Mercy ~ imdb.com -

Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi Haf!!

Wow you really dodged a bullet, Mesa!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi brynn!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I haven't had peach pear yet, sounds very good!

Venny, you can have all the coconut LaCroix in the world. I bought it once and it was very tough to drink. I've even read debates online amongst LaCroix nerds- coconut is the most polarizing flavor. Kind of fun to read how passionately people either defend it or trash it. I can't get past the sunscreen factor. But I respect your tastes and I'm glad you enjoy it!

I had some chocolate and it helped, but now I have an itch for a shake. Or a cup of coffee. Some kind of something.. Maybe I'll go eat some leftovers.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I can see how it would be polarizing, Melina. I love that it smells like that old tanning lotion.

I considered it my favorite flavor until the peach-pear.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I'm delighted there are sparkling water nerds and debates! It's so much more fun than slugging cheap Chardonnay.

There's so many little cool things about sobriety, and those are really the big things... seems so.

I'm practicing not drinking tonight... that was my advice from Jen bodhi and I really like it. This relapsing stuff is tiresome and for the birds. Whenever I do it, it doesn't even feel good. It's like how I feel whenever wool touches my bare skin.. itchy, hot, uncomfortable and always a bad decision. I have really sensitive skin lol.

Bees not booze.
xoxo
Old 08-08-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Soberp and I are together on the LaCroix. That's funny because my favorite was the coconut before switching allegiance to peach pear. I still really like the blackberry cucumber but as Melina said, it's an expensive trip to Target.

Hi HaF! Brynn I'm glad you're feeling better. Melina, you and SUID need a hug. Hugs!

I'm baking chicken drumsticks. Someone better eat them.

Mesa, that sounds like a wonderful day. Good food too. Yum

Venecia I need to switch to the iPad to see your pics. That's s really lovely story. How sweet and thoughtful of your Grandmother.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

...and NC with that Ex, Melina.

It's the only way to heal. I have always done NC right from the breakup. So much easier. They are EXes for a reason.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

My beagles will be happy to try your drumsticks, Ruby.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

In my old age, I am coming around to agreeing with Bim on the Exes... I remained friends with two of them for years. One is just rotten and I kept excusing his rottenness. It took being sober a few years before I could gauge the extreme degree of rottenness, lol.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Ven, I also really enjoyed your pottery and story.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

ugh, bim! Progress, not perfection! Thank you for looking out for me. I'm still getting something out of banging my head on that brick wall. I just am. But I'm trying to be nicer to myself, so perhaps that'll make me look at the situation differently. I don't know. I'm just not done there, although I suffer from the loneliness of it. It just "is."

Venny I liked your pottery story, too. And I liked seeing that pic of the hail Meaa dodged.

Ruby, I actually just ordered a case of blackberry cucumber from Amazon. I know ppl think they are an evil empire, but I really can't get out of Target without dropping too much mucho dinero, so this is how it's gonna be. People, places and things lolol
Old 08-08-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Well, I did no contact since I was 18 - and I wish someone would explain to me the reason(s) why they stay friendly with someone who they broke up with - presumably because that person had some issues or treated you badly. At least that's why *I* break up with people. I get it if there are shared children, that's different.

I couldn't shut the door behind them quick enough.

*edit, I was answering SoberPot. Mel, we cross posted...sorta...I hadn't read yours.