Notices

Why do I feel lonely?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I feel lonely?

My sobriety is of the utmost importance, however, I feel really lonely for some reason. When I was drinking I called everyone all the time, wanted to talk, be social. I'm sober now and people text or call me and I just ignore it, then I complain about being lonely. It makes no sense. I can't find friends that are 100% sober to save my life. I might have to delete my facebook. I would rather be on here talking to people who know what I'm going through than look at peoples' selfies and pictures of them partying. I don't mean to be so negative, I have just had a lonely day.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sobriety does not equal isolation. And think of this, isolation is a huge part of advanced alcoholism. The only way you will get past the loneliness is by reaching out. Call your friends and family. Hit up some meetings. Face to face does much good for the soul.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand this. I found it does get better, I stopped in April. I do a lot more brunches now which are really nice. I also realised that even people who don't drink or don't have a drinking problem can get lonely at times. It is sometimes ok to sit with these thoughts as they often lead to you working out what things you can add to your life. . I think we got used to immediate gratification as drinkers, either to numb, forget or perhaps get some false courage and when we stop drinking we are basically getting reacquainted with the real us, be gentle with yourself, things will start to fall into place.Hope this helps
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It takes time to rebuild a life...I kept my own company for a while, then hung out with supportive friends...soon made some new ones...eventually I had an awesome sober life.

Don't despair - chances are you're right where you need to be riught now.

There's no rush - I think most of us need to get to know who we are sober first

D
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just so you know.... I once had a wide social circle a huge family network and was often an groups of hundreds of people and I ALWAYS felt alone. Part of sobriety is building new pathways and connections to keep us happy and functional. It's not your mandated job to keep delapidated bridges standing to narrow pathways of connection. Let those bridges fall. Take care of you first! The people who's connections count will make the effort to meet you halfway.
The first step is on you. SR will only take you so far face to face is where real life happens
I know. I feel lonely too and it's comfortable for me. It feels much more safe. But getting real is getting way out of our comfort zones... so I do it in weird baby steps.
You'll find your way
Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there prinzess...I am not impressed by endless selfies... You're not missing anything ... I like intelligent conversation
Old 08-11-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're right Deliz, I was holding up dilapidated bridges. I was always the one to reach out, now that I'm focusing on getting better I hear crickets chirping. I'll just have to adjust, and if I cry, I cry. Vodka won't fix it, I'll feel worse. Thank you