Notices

Get Support Here Weekender October 23 until...Part 2

Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Happy ... Tuesday?
Slept until I woke up. It was below freezing. Good thing I opted to not go out this morning.
Funny salad Tetra and nice pic too...

Had a meeting with the wife last night. Explained to her that no internet, phone service or TV will be available to use on our weekend getaway.
So bring something to read. I'm taking the cribbage set along. Dark early and no real place to hang out after dark. Of course as usual, we'll just wing it.

Instead of making oats this morning there was an apple pastry type thing sitting on the counter top. It was yummy.

If you read that entire article about the bacon, have no fear. As long as you don't eat a pound of bacon every day and otherwise eat sensibly, you can have your bacon and eat it too. The gist of the article is something that has been touted here a few times. Stay way from processed foods all together. And eat plenty of salads and laugh your life away just like Tetra does.
Shopping for snacks for the weekend 'camp out'. That includes processed meat and cheese along with fruits and bread types. We'll be packing our lunch every day and carrying it with us...

Spending the afternoon till dark in a tree today. Unless something comes along to alter that plan. Gotta pack a lunch.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Have fun in your tree, Brain. And good luck.

Nons, that sounds like a fun day, laying flooring and all. It's always comforting to reconnect with family.

I'm taking a brief respite after dropping kids at school and now I'm going to drive to work.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Good morning, Weekenders.

I am severely down this morning, but I am awake, and drinking coffee, and working on a list I made last night. I am sad, disgusted, angry, and afraid, and probably oscillating through other emotions I can't even pinpoint just yet. So be it. I'm no stranger to trauma or change. Although, this is getting to be a little old, lol.

Life doesn't magically get better, does it? We must make changes if things are to be different for us.

I'll be making a few necessary vehicle and vet appointments this week, and figuring up exactly where my finances are (excluding his) although I have a pretty good estimate already, as I'm the one who pays every single bill in this house, and sending off a few resumes here and there as well as pitching my writing services to some potential clients.

I've already thought about the possibility of income from renters since I have a full size guest bath and some extra bedrooms, though I'd rather not. This would be smart, because I could put this rental income toward the principal of the mortgage and carry on with my plan to pay it off early.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I feel much better having backup plans.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone. ..
I couldn't sleep last night. Luckily I have an easy day at work today.
Soberpotamus. ..you will be ok. I can see that you are thinking your situation through and figuring it all out . Renting a couple of bedrooms is a great idea. I wish I could do that but my house is too small. You will come out shinning.
time for me to get moving.
Ruby, I hope you can enjoy your days off. I'm taking a week staycation at thanksgiving and I can't wait. I plan to lie around and do nothing.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Mine isn't a large one, Happyandfree, but I think it'll be ok. It might destroy my solitude for writing, but if I find the right renter, it might work. I'll have to be choosy.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Welp ~

My 'Gift' Day given me yesterday by Ma Nature was very nice, and not all A-R planned out. Cleaned up around Camp. Washed the Dishes. Swept out the Trailer. Shook out the Dog Bed. OK, OK. That's about as non-A-R as I get. Ducked into the non-Brick Outhouse to ensure the TP was still properly rolled over the front. It was. Whew! Western Civilization is again safe. THEN, I could go enjoy myself.

Went into Town, and hit an Old School Diner for Lunch. A perfect Parking Spot across a dead end Street with full Shade for Da Pooch. Went to the Dog Park. Met this local Guide - he's all of 25 - who woulda caused Brynn The Cougar to step on her Tongue with her Golf Shoes. I also met his equally drop-dead-gorgeous GF. He gave me all kinda tips on some things to see next Trip. Old Mining spots. Love love love. Where Dino Bones can be found. Our Pooches had lotsa fun.

Tuned into The Universe yesterday, and The Universe didn't let me down.

Came back to Camp, and helped out a Neighbor on how to permanently solve his spotty Cellphone coverage at his high Valley House. Made a nice Campfire after pre-packing my Truck. Ritual saves all kinda time this Morning so that I could enjoy a fab Moonset and Sunrise. The first Coyote I heard this Trip was - literally - howling at the Moon nearby.

Major thanks for the Mountain Lion tip, LBrainiac! I told that Story to my Camp Neighbor, and showed him my Pic up-Thread here. He said he knew that Big Cats hide their Kill via that method, but the stealth pounce trick you mentioned was news to him. And, to me. Concealed Carrying in my Fanny Pack would be useless. Next time, I'll hand carry with my Finger behind the Trigger, but within the Trigger Guard. Intrinsically safe. Also, my SOP down in our Canyon Spring w/Cattails where I find Bambi Carcasses a Big Cat has munched. This way, I'd have some chance while Hiking here of saving Da Pooch by delivering a close-up Round.

I.B. Packin' out this Morning, and taking new Back Roads into E. CO.

One last Wiley E. Coyote Territory Pic below is from the River bottom I drove down this insane, 1940s Uranium Mining/Prospecting Road to just before the recent Storm likely made it impassable. This Road was like one you see stuck to a Cliff in Peru, or China. Refer to Sao's Cartoon up-Thread to understand one requirement to tackle this Road. Besides Sobriety, that is. A different Mining area than in the linked Article below. Mister Hunky River Guide Guy told me a 'colorful' Texan made >$30 Million in a year off Uranium back then, and proceeded to call it a Day. Nice Pocket Change back during The Cold War...

- Charlie Steen's Uranium Mine -

Old 10-27-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Beautiful pic Tetra

I'm really sorry you are having such a lousy time of things right now Soberpotamus but you are making and taking those tough decisions which is really important. I agree with HaF that you will get through this and be better for it.

I bring my own lunch in to work but I noticed a new market stall nearby selling jacket potato with smoked salmon and spinach for £3.50 - a bargain
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Interesting article MesaMan. Surprised that 6 deaths put down to radiation - unprocessed uranium gives off very little radiation so unless they were eating the stuff it should not cause any harm

I have seen similar though smaller red sandstone deposits in Devon
Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Sao ~

My 'Pedestrian' understanding from long ago was that such Mortality is from small Particle Ingestion of Dust while Mining. You kack Decades later...

Meanwhile, Folks used to go sit in old Uranium Mines here in The Southwest because they thought this cured various Ailments. You know, like Neuritis and Neuralgia.-)

- Radioactive Quack Cures -

One of my prized possessions is an immaculately-cleaned Prehistoric Shark Tooth taken from a Quarry somewhere North of London.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

SoberP, it's so good you are thinking of everything. However, I know how sad and heart wrenching it is to have to make those kinds of plans.

I'm not sure where you are but I know three people that do very well on Airbnb. I have a coworker who lives in a 2 bedroom here in the Wicker Park area of Chicago. Her rent is $1240 a month and she hasn't had to pay in several months bc of the income she receives from renting the second bedroom.

Cool way to pick up a fairly passive side hustle. Not for everyone's comfort level though, I'm sure.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Nons, the idea about taking the funny pictures of you guys goofing off is so good!

What a positive way to break tension, worry and grief.

Pretty amazing how we are now able to think of ways to lift other people's spirits during a rough time.

Remember when we were drinking and other humans were just there to annoy us? That's how I felt. Unless I could get something out of you or get you to do something for me, I didn't have much use for other humans. Maybe I'm projecting and you were always good!

You're a good egg. That's something my grandma used to say, I thought it was fitting!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Saoutchik, I think the potato sounds good. Go for it.

SoberP, life does hand us trials, doesn't it? Sometimes it does seem that they're piled one on top of another, without end. It sounds like you are doing some good, thoughtful, planning. You'll find your peace.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Do your best

Megaladon Tooth Mesa
Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I think there are quite a few good eggs on the weekender bus

Potamus....I always feel more in control and confident with a back up plan. Helps me feel not so trapped even if I never use it.

Not sure how to take the cougar comment, Mesa. How old do you think I am??? Ha!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I never ask a Lady her age, Brynn.

That said, how old are you? Hee hee...

I recall you saying you're mid-30s or thereabouts.

My Pal has a hilarious 'Formula'. The 'acceptable' Relationship Age Differential is half your age plus 10 years. I guess, using that Formula, Mister 25 Year Old Hunky River Guide Guy was just within your 'range'.

Hope springs eternal...

Thanks, Sao!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Growl. I'm feeling angry about a bunch of crap at work but I'll live. It's just frustrating.

There are a bunch of good eggs here. I find my peace here sometimes. Why I keep coming back.

The President is in town and I think I'm going to take the train downtown instead of driving today. Whenever the President travels, traffic is a giant mess because it always seems to be at rush hour.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Mesa, I like your friends math! i was starting to feel old there for a minute! Ha!

Hugs Ruby. Work stress is awful and can eat away at your peace of mind. Hope it's something that can get resolved quickly.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

I've got Lucy's vet appt scheduled on 11/10, same day as my scheduled grad school info session, although I drop her off early in the morning, so there won't be interference.

I'm taking the car in to the mechanic first thing in the am to find out what's making it nearly overheat. Tired of worrying about it.

Melina, I've considered Airbnb. I'm in a college town and there's a lot of football traffic here, so that's a possibility. However, I'm definitely not excited about renting to lots of different people I think I'd rather just find a renter who wants to stay for a while, someone who likes animals, and who won't be here during the day, hopefully someone responsible, has a job, or a grad student.

Also just received an email for a month long scoring job for Pearson. I'll probably take it. I did it back in the summer, so I think I'll accept this offer. It's extra money to sack away.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Good morning, Weekenders.

I am severely down this morning, but I am awake, and drinking coffee, and working on a list I made last night. I am sad, disgusted, angry, and afraid, and probably oscillating through other emotions I can't even pinpoint just yet. So be it. I'm no stranger to trauma or change. Although, this is getting to be a little old, lol.

Life doesn't magically get better, does it? We must make changes if things are to be different for us.

I'll be making a few necessary vehicle and vet appointments this week, and figuring up exactly where my finances are (excluding his) although I have a pretty good estimate already, as I'm the one who pays every single bill in this house, and sending off a few resumes here and there as well as pitching my writing services to some potential clients.

I've already thought about the possibility of income from renters since I have a full size guest bath and some extra bedrooms, though I'd rather not. This would be smart, because I could put this rental income toward the principal of the mortgage and carry on with my plan to pay it off early.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I feel much better having backup plans.
Xoxo

You could rent out to a single female student, that has the most potential to be the least interruptive.
My friend rents a room from a lady, my friend is like me and doesn't even have a tv, and if we're over there studying or having dinner, we're quiet and clean up after ourselves .
Something to think about as a good demographic

Oh haha, we were typing the same thing at the same time
Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I hear you, SoberP... My wallet wants me to do Airbnb.. My anxiety wants me to go live in a cave at the thought of someone in my house, ughhhhhh!

I hope you find a good boarder!

Ruby, I hope the crappy work stuff blows over.