Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 2

Old 10-18-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Okay, well, I'ma go to sleep now. Today closes week 4, or day 28.

Monday will close day 30. So far, I feel so, so different as I come on this 30 days than I did the last time I had that many days. Stuff got hard for a few days for me this time, but overall this stint sober feels much, much better than the last one did. AA felt like kicking the can down the road to me, like putting off the inevitable and taking it on faith I was doing something more productive than I felt like I was doing. Doing this time more thoughtfully and with knowledge that it's a) forever and that b) forever is entirely my responsibility has been so much better. Feels like the real deal this time. I'm especially happy that I've even, for the moment, fended off the "Maybe I'm fine now ..." thoughts.

Anyway, good night all. Hope everybody is having a good Saturday night.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Sunday morning here and I just spent some time catching up on posts. Many of you are doing so great I can just feel the peace and clarity coming through your posts as your sober time has built up to almost a month or more Some of us- like me- are still struggling with that "dance" with alcohol - back and forth, and your posts motivate me and make me feel less alone in this as well.

The alcoholic in me wants to say- just forget October and start off fresh in November. Why not? I don't get really drunk or do anything stupid (yet) it's just alcohol after a hard day - everyone does that, right? For me, it comes down to quality of life and the knowledge that something bad is going to happen - my luck is going to wear out sometime if I don't put and end to this. It's only going to get worse. Everything about me and my life improves when I stop drinking- inside and outside.

So anyway. The alcoholic in me won't win this battle. I'm going to finish up October sober. I know it's really one day at a time thing, so I commit to not drinking today.

My plan for today is to exercise, eat, journal, food prep for the week, and post and read here often. And to not beat myself up, that doesn't help at all. Today is a new day
Old 10-18-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Starting Day Three

Hi October Friends,

So I start day three. Two days and two meetings under my belt. However, I slept miserably last night - felt itchy and like my skin was way too tight. I think I will pick up some melanin at the store today and hope for better results tonight.

I don't know if I was just freaking myself out over nothing, but I worried that my discomfort could be a sign of worse withdrawal yet to come. Though I feel well now, just sleep-deprived.

Thanks for the comfort you all provide simply by being here - whether you have added another day of sobriety or are starting all over again. It is so helpful to read your words.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

FABL - never beat yourself up. You can do this - you don't have to wait for a fresh new month to start. It's only the 18th - lots more sober time to be had in October!!!

TurningLeaf - way to go. I didn't have sleep issues but I know it's very common. All I can say is it will get better! Hang in there.

I slept about 9 hours last night and woke up feeling a little groggy from my cold. My head hurts and just feels full of pressure. Just had some French Roast coffee (always helps) and took my doggie for a walk on this beautiful crisp fall morning. I'm about to catch up on some work at home, and then if I'm feeling up to it, heading to a yoga/astrology workshop that I had signed up for a while back. All depends on how I'm feeling... happy sober Sunday to all!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Joining! Today is day 1, and I want to post here to get it out there into the Universe, and start the conversation with you lovely people here! This is my second time getting sober, the last time was 5 years ago and I went for three months. I want to make it forever this time.
I plan to get some work done today for the week. I am not going to monitor my eating, and if I have a craving have some chocolate. I am hoping for no bad withdrawal symptoms, did not have any last time except of course the major anxiety. May see the doc this week to see if she can help.
Here I go!
NACN
Old 10-18-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group, NACN!! Congrats on your decision. We look forward to your posts!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
nmd

Still here, still trying to give it another go

What did I do right last time?

I told people I quit drinking.
I was active here.
I used whatever tools I had to stave off the av.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Day 26 here. Nothing eventful this weekend, but I am feeling pretty darn good!I was tired and lethargic yesterday, I still get days like that, and they're annoying, but I don't feel bad. So I had my chill day yesterday, and this morning I am up and at 'em! Keep up the great work Octsobers!!! Yall are helping to keep me sober, and I love it!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Forabetterlife, I agree: October is only a little more than halfway over! A lot can happen in 14 days, good or bad.

Turningleaf, it may be different for you, but for a lot of people including myself bad sleep on day 3, 4 and even 5 doesn't herald future withdrawal, it's just what happens when you quit. By day 6, most reports I've heard indicate you should be sleeping okay. (Of course, that's just from me reading about people on here, so if you're really worried, you could ask your dr.)

Juno--Yoga/astrology, huh? That sounds fascinating. I didn't know you could put those things together :p

NACN, welcome! Sounds like a good plan for day 1!

Nmd, you can do it again. You were so enthusiastic and involved last time, I really felt the energy of doing this from you. Just maybe possibly look at what went wrong last time, as well as what went right? So you can change it.

Grizzly, congrats on 26 days!! That's awesome.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

At 2 weeks. I'm feeling that itch.
I really want to get drunk today and felt it some yesterday.
I've got to be tough these next couple weeks.....
Ugh, I hate this feeling. Thoughts of vodka....., sitting outside......, a cigarette
I'm taking one of my dogs to the park here in about 20 minutes and I've already had thoughts of how wonderful a couple drinks would be before.... And after.
I haven't played the tape yet. I will right after I post.
I think once I get to the park, inhale the fresh air and think about what a beautiful life I have WITHOUT booze, I'll feel better.
Probably hit up yoga or a bike ride later too just to keep me moving.

I got this. I got this. I got this.
((((Sigh)))))

Sounds like everyone else is doing good. I'm so glad! ☺️����
NTST, it's going to be that much more difficulcult for you with a husband that provokes your drinking. You've got to prepare yourself to be twice as strong if you plan to be with him and maintain you sobriety. Good luck!
Im sure that's tough.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Sadly, I'm not making it to yoga/astrology workshop. It's really an astrology workshop (from a spiritual advisor that I look up to) at a yoga studio. However, I'm not really into astrology but I find this guy fascinating. I'm feeling chilled all over from this cold and my head hurts - as much as I wanted to go, I couldn't see myself getting in the car and driving all the way to another state (Virginia) and sitting through a 2 hour workshop. Normally I would love it, but my cold is telling me to order a pizza, get in bed and catch up on Supernatural episodes. So that's my new plan.

Kelly, I'm glad you're seeing the pull before you take action and posting here. My problem is that I don't post - I just follow the allure of the drink (in my case, wine) which leads to bad things happening. Good job calling yourself out and there is no joy to be found in going back there.

NMD, stick with us. This group needs you!! There is lots of time left in October for anyone to come on back and give it another go.

Congrats Grizzly and HelpI'mAlive on all the good success!
Old 10-18-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Juno, I hope you feel better soon! It sounds like you're feeling pretty yucky, but I'm so glad you don't have a hangover on top of it!!
Hang in there, kelly! Just don't drink and the craving will pass. It really will, I promise. Like you said, keep playing the tape through. I know for me, as soon as I start drinking during the day, I'm going to have to keep drinking til I go to bed. Then all day at work the next day I'm going to look forward to drinking when I get home to feel better from drinking yesterday. And the cycle begins...
You can do it, kelly, I know you can!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Hi guys!
I'm going to drop out of class, not because I'm drinking, but the reading about alcohol all the time makes me want to drink, I often forget about it throughout the day until I read about it.
I'll probably hang out in the weekender thread, so hopefully I'll see some of you there xoxo
You can do it!
Old 10-18-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober today and feeling great.welcome to all newbies. I was in your shoes just a short 3 weeks ago, would I swap this feeling to day 1 , hell NO.. Soldier on, it will all be so worth it..
Old 10-18-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

2 weeks ago not 3 , thumb on iphone!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome needachangenow
congrats Help!

FABL I'm really glad to see you're recommiting for the rest of the month - you're a great example to others - you can never lose if you don't stop fighting

it took me a long time to stop - but I kept adding things to my 'toolbox' and I learned how to reach out before I drank.

I had to take drinking off the table. It was not a viable option and I had to accept that.

Sometimes that meant going the long way around with things like relaxing, and it meant sitting with feelings I found uncomfortable, but it was worth it - after a little while those feelings started to bother me less and less.

If you don't want to drink, you don't have to - that's a beautifully simple truth

D
Old 10-18-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Today is the hardest day I've had so far. UGH.

Why do I want to drink when I feel good and accomplished? Why does it have to be so tied to celebration and reward for me?
Old 10-18-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Despite my success at present is seems that my body is rebelling. Last week I popped my calf for the first time ever. Wasn't bad and after a few day I was walking about fine. Then on Saturday I made it worse or repopped it coming down the stairs. Off to the doctor now. I never really take medicine but in the past I would have used this as an excuse to drink and take the edge of the pain.

On a more positive note we have a pet for the first time. A cute, little house rabbit. The whole family are elated.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hello. Today is my first day here. I started a thread this morning, but I thought I'd pop over to this one as well. Zero days in so far, but tomorrow it'll be 1!
Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group, DobieGirl!

Midton, congrats on your new family pet. A good friend of mine just got a bunny for his apartment with his wife. He keeps sending me *adorable* pictures of this bunny and telling me funny stories about how mischievous he is. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy your new addition!

Me, I'm fine. Through Day 8 and no worries. I may have turned the corner with my cold. That nap/rest I took this afternoon may have been just what I needed for my body to recover. I sure hope so, because I have a busy day tomorrow beginning at 6:00 am with getting the kids off, a doctor's appointment for my son, an important school meeting and then work. So yeah, I need to be better!!