Notices

Belong? Sober Weekender Thread July 9 until...

Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I wanted to riff off Weasel's OP...

Every day I come here and when I log in there are (for instance today) - 56 registered members online and 227 guests. That's a lot of lurkers. I understand lurking, especially on a site like this. It's a sensitive subject and it beats us down when we are under the influence.

I've always been chatty, and in real life your eyes might glaze over after a few hours with me, since I will talk about any subject - social anxiety has never been one of my problems - I think I suffer from the opposite. So, it's easy for me to type out my thoughts and hit, "Post Quick Reply."

I'm not particularly thin skinned, especially on forums. I mean, we aren't even real, right? I don't worry about saying the wrong thing nor do I worry about someone taking offense. (I do have a problems leaving well enough alone, though - thank you, "edit" feature.)

I've seen many posters with a few posts who say, "Don't know what to say," or something similar. I understand that. But I'd just like to say, posting is so therapeutic. This is the kindest and gentlest of forums, and the site administrators and moderators do a very good job of looking out for any problems. So if you're lurking and haven't joined in yet - this is your invitation.

tl;dr

It works if you try it. Keep reading, and welcome.
Deserves to be said again and at the top of the page so everyone sees it.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bim ~

I think there were about 3 Bands on Stage for The Big Finale of some Variety or R&R Show, since there were 5 Dudes in 'Spirit'. I kinda recognize the Lead Player sitting down. 'The Doobie Brothers', mebbe? The Guy at the Mic with Mark Andes looks like a Guy outta 'Night Ranger', or some such '80s Band.

Sao ~

You wondered prior about 'flipping Windows' to the vertical Axis for Da Pooch. No biggie. I'd scored ~$27k of Windows and Doors; all from a massive, cancelled mis-Order. Got them all for ~$7.5k. Some Yup lost his Job, and cancelled his 'Prairie Mansion' Home, as they're called around here. On only the House North side, I flipped these Windows to horizontal to cut Heat Loss while allowing Big People a great view out. Most Windows don't open, so I put larger ones that do on opposite sides of the House, with opening Double French Doors on the South Side [3x]. A Metal Security Door w/partial Screen can safely be locked at night to let Breezes course through from the ~11,000' Flattop Mountain near us. Sucks the Air right through the House, as designed. Nature abhors a Vacuum.

Bought the whole Lot, and designed our House myself around the Windows/Doors I scored, using a ~$30- Software Package from a Big Box Store. Double Pane Windows. Argon filled. Suitable for use above 6,000', since they backfill between the 2 Glass Panes with less inert Argon. Otherwise, Windows would bow out and leak from less Atmospheric Pressure pushing in. They're even the Arts & Crafts style we wanted. See the Window on the right.

The Stained & Polished Concrete Floor is 6" thick for Solar Mass. Joint never drops below +50 F [+10 C ] Degrees w/o Heat; even on -10 F [-23 C] on January nights. My lil Middle Finger Gesture to the Oil Cartel & Fawning Politicians.-)

MISTER Retriever is happy with his 'NylaBone'.

As a Boss of mine used to say: 'I'd rather be lucky than smart'. Actually, he was neither.

Back to watching Wimbledon where Russia is playing Compton...
- 'Get Lucky' ~ Daft Punk w/Guests ~ Live

Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Wow! Thread moves fast.

Gilmer, I'm sad and happy for you at the same time. You've done your best and it's time to turn over the reins on care. It's a hard thing but I'm guessing that you will still be actively involved. Hugs.

Tetra, enjoy pizza night.

Non, lumbersexual cracks me up. Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok. . Are you going to sing I wish I was a girlie, just like my dear mama?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
POPGUN!

I hereby pass my shotgun
privilege to the next
available SR'er.
I'll accept Lunar's POPGUN! and raise it to SHOTGUN! Yeeeeeeee. Let the weekend sober adventures begin.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yay Verte! Good for you. Glad you're here.

I'm freezing to death here. Need to get up and walk around. It hasn't hit 70 in three days and the air conditioning is still on.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It has always been my secret childhood dream to one day become a lumbersexual!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It's Thursday evening so I'm shopping in town.

This is the first time I've felt myself relax all day
Attached Images
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey All ,
extender for my handlebars came in the post today so now i can grab them without having to lean forwards too far which was killing my wrists .

So the bike is feeling ergonomically better and easier to whizz round on …

Hope you're all accepting that there will be ups and downs on our journey till monday but with a bit of planning we can maybe try and avoid going backwards and maybe even invest some time and effort in making our lives better tomorrow , pay it forwards to ourselves ..

m
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Well, trip cancelled.

Turns out my dad passed away in the night! I know how unbelievable that sounds--but he had a marvelous day yesterday and a deep and peaceful sleep last night. It had been coming a long time. I think God showed him tremendous, tremendous mercy in letting him go that way.

Thank you so much for your kindness and support.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Oh, Gilmer! I'm so sorry. You are in my prayers. It does sound like a gentle and gracious passage.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Behan, you can suit up for the lumbersexual role. Just don't follow the song lyrics of putting on women's clothing and hanging around in bars.

Tetra, a bookstore! An actual bookstore! I'm jealous. There are so few around anymore here. Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I wanted to jump in and join this thread, if I may. I really loved reading bimini's invitation. I had followed the July 4th thread and it was so joyful and supportive, I thought to myself I would love to be joking around and checking in with such a cool group of sober folk!

I'm on day 39 today which is a Melina World Record for Sobriety!

Gilmer, please accept my condolences regarding your father.

I'm off to work until very late, per usual. I'm a chef in Chicago and I get to enjoy a quiet ride home late at night, just me and my AA speaker tapes. It makes the late hours worthwhile, I get to decompress and put a good message in my head before bed.

Best,
Melina
Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your father Gilmer. God bless.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Gilmer))) I am so sorry sweetie! You and your family are in my prayers.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey y'all....Melina thinks we're cool!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Well, trip cancelled.

Turns out my dad passed away in the night! I know how unbelievable that sounds--but he had a marvelous day yesterday and a deep and peaceful sleep last night. It had been coming a long time. I think God showed him tremendous, tremendous mercy in letting him go that way.

Thank you so much for your kindness and support.
My condolences Gilmer. I understand what you are saying when God shows mercy. Please treat yourself as best you can in moments of change like this. Please let us know how you are doing.

Ken
Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
It has always been my secret childhood dream to one day become a lumbersexual!!!
I can't even........
Old 07-09-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Hi everyone!

I wanted to jump in and join this thread, if I may. I really loved reading bimini's invitation. I had followed the July 4th thread and it was so joyful and supportive, I thought to myself I would love to be joking around and checking in with such a cool group of sober folk!

I'm on day 39 today which is a Melina World Record for Sobriety!

Gilmer, please accept my condolences regarding your father.

I'm off to work until very late, per usual. I'm a chef in Chicago and I get to enjoy a quiet ride home late at night, just me and my AA speaker tapes. It makes the late hours worthwhile, I get to decompress and put a good message in my head before bed.

Best,
Melina
Welcome Melina!!!! Things move fast here but no need to feel compelled to keep up. Just join in when you can.

Also know while we play a lot here we are here to support first and foremost. If you need some help let us know!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Gilmer -- so sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Melina! Welcome to weekenders.