Old 06-16-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
MesaMan

All the Credit Card Tech Info Overview you'll ever need is right there in Post #433 above. Many tnx, Weas...

I wondered Why D. Hell I just got a new VISA Card with fancy Chip embedded when I had ~2 years of life left on the old Card. Fraud is causing the speedy roll-out of Cards w/EMV Chip Security. I haven't got on the Bandwagon of Phone Pay, but it seems pretty secure to this ex-Cellular Dude. On a somewhat-related topic of critical info sent by Wireless, I keep my WiFi disabled. Bad Guys are 'sniffing' WiFi Signal, and hack Folk's Bank Accounts when they Bank on line. I don't. Period. It's even happening in stop/go Traffic from adjacent Cars. Solution: disable WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use. They can't pick up what I ain't sending out. Cellular, like this Verizon Air Modem, is very secure.

I've gotten nailed several times when I travel, and used my Card elsewhere. In Tokyo, I couldn't pay a ~$3,000- Hotel Tab upon Check Out. My Card had been 'suspended' due to activity in another Country. Stateside, it was suspended when I tried to buy my Sis a high end Flat Screen TV in SoCal. But, wait.... There's more. My Card was suspended when I put in Gas 2x in one day here. I was trying to run down the Gas Tank to fumes so that I could put in Fuel Injector Cleaner. I miscalculated, and had to put in a lil more Gas when driving back from our Mountain House. Checking to see if a stolen Card is valid by using it at an Automated Gas Pump is one Bad Guy Trick. So, that sort of Card activity is monitored, as it turns out. My usage pattern triggered a Software-based Alert.

I get a 'Security Alert' call from VISA. I, and some Cat named 'Winston' in India, sort through my last 10 Charges, looking for Fraud. He gets to a $1,864- Charge for Air Travel to the Bahamas, and blows right past it. I stop him, and back up. Turns out my sole Hacking Event was when a Main Frame was hacked years ago, and tens-of-millions of Accounts were stolen. My stolen Card info was sold, and used to charge some f'ers Vacation. This was not even what VISA was calling me about! I caught it.

Also, this bit where you can contest a Credit Card Charge within 30 days in writing is real handy when you order Goods or Services, and get taken by shoddy Business Practices. You have Recourse against that shyster Mechanic on a Vacation Drive, or when receiving a Product that's nothing like the Pic on line. Don't pay it. Contest it.

I've started using Cash for Gas, cuz my new Truck can take $100- to fill the 36 Gallon Tank. Cash Discount it is for this Geezer...

Mebbe the reason I'm on this Security roll is because I just filled out a 7 page 'Seller's Disclosure' on this House! Was Meth ever manufactured in this House? Are there known Environmental Hazards, or Waste Dumps on the Property? Are there pending Government actions that could diminish Property Value? Could a Meteorite hit me on my Ample Caucasian Azz tonight while in my Hot Tub? Lawdy!

Before Steve Miller, there was 'The Clovers'...
- 'Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash' ~ The Clovers