Notices

Newcomers Stay Sober This Weekend Thread 4/30 - until

Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Friday all - very happy on this end that the end of work week here! I struggled tons with trying to maintain keeping my act together and not have panic attacks when I was actively drinking. Once I stopped, I was constantly internally reflecting on how much ease I was now able to handle anything at work. I have the type of job ( I work at a high school) that they will eat you alive if you don't have confidence. I remember intentionally restarting my volunteer work with the Department of Corrections when I was actively drinking because I KNEW I would need to have my act together when dealing with people and I thought it might force the hand to get me sober.

My weekend plans are refreshingly undeveloped. The sun will finally be shining here in Vermont and the weather finally warmer and that is all that matters right now
Old 05-01-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Friday roll call of new folks!

How about since we have so many first timers and under a month sober we do a daily check in. Just a quick hello or an update if so inclined.

Just know we are here.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

have a good weekend all, I'm on day 27 now. Staying humble and not looking past one day at a time but overall not in a bad place.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not new, but checking in.

Friday off. Time to make a list and then check it off.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm in! One more week and I'm 5 months sober!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I love your username, LakeofGlitter!

I'm old, but I'm here!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Present! Up around 5:30 AM, had some tea and some mushroom soup with tuna, peas and Asian seasonings mixed in.

I might need a nap any moment now. Planning a bookstore trip later and I really ought to make use of my gym membership (been slacking for a couple of weeks).
Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Good morning and I'm in. Not new and I'm 17 months in today. You can do it one day at a time. It was rough in the beginning and some days it was by hanging on by my fingertips, clawing to stick it out.

K, Mec said what I was thinking. I hope you're doing ok. One thing I've actually come to be grateful for with my internal transfer before I quit is that I really can't just call in.

Got to go. Will check in later.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I'm here. Day 7 today and I'm determined to make it through this weekend. Honestly I am a little afraid about tonight. My AV has been whispering and making plans. I want my recovery back and so I'm trying to make different, positive plans for tonight. I've asked my kids if that want to do a couple different things, but they aren't cooperating I'll come up with something. I'll check in later with what the final plan will be - and it will not not include drinking!!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Good morning! Been very busy with work and the last of remodeling. It's been a long process but worth it, love the new kitchen.

Tomorrow we open the cabin. Last summer, I was trying to quit and couldn't make it through a cabin weekend, didn't get there until the end of October. Now with six months behind me, I feel I can enjoy cabin weekends without drinking and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm used to not drinking, it's my new normal.

But to help me, I'm activating my hotspot so i can be online here in those odd moments I'm feeling restless. Checking the forums is a big part of my sober plan. I'm often in a situation where it's awkward to post but can read just fine.

Happy Friday!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 17 months, Ruby!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Good morning and I'm in. Not new and I'm 17 months in today. You can do it one day at a time. It was rough in the beginning and some days it was by hanging on by my fingertips, clawing to stick it out.

K, Mec said what I was thinking. I hope you're doing ok. One thing I've actually come to be grateful for with my internal transfer before I quit is that I really can't just call in.

Got to go. Will check in later.
Miss Ruby... Congrats on 17 months. You are a real inspiration to me!

As for calling in... that is complete. I have a master list of stuff to do. Busy weekend. I just feel like getting this list done means more to me than the tasks at work right now. Everything at work is stable and I can sneak a day free from worries or thoughts. Thats a great feeling to have everything in place. Of course thats also my OCD making sure everything is executed on plan.

Soz... I am all yours weekenders! What's next? Laundry! FUN!

Also supposed to be a great weekend weather wise so I can wear some of the new clothes I bought as therapy last weekend.

Thanks for being there team!

Oh and hit that gym S! You wont regret it!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Happy Friday morning all! Looks like a glorious day, too bad I can't duck out of work!

Woke up and GOT OUT OF BED 1/2 hour early!
Could never have done that in the drinking days!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Great to see you Newpage! Keep those spirits high!!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Congrats Ruby!!! I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for being here!

I am off Friday's so I am planning to do battle with the lawn.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Not new, but I am here!

Busy weekend here for me.
The new starter from the friendship bread from a couple of weeks ago is needing to be baked off. This time I am putting the starter packs in the freezer instead of starting the whole process over.
I am sure there are estate sales that will need to be reviewed tomorrow.
Those veggie starts I started in March probably need to be planted.
And on Sunday I am going with my parents to see David Sedaris, who never fails to make me laugh.
But first, must finish off the work week!

Happy Friday Sober Enders!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

K, sounds like a good plan for the day. I think a three day weekend is in my future. I need a break. Always, always laundry. And now with warmer weather, gardening. Della. Need a side job for today? I have to rake and turn dirt so I can be ready for planting.

Gilmer, thank you for the laugh. "I'm old." Certainly got a chuckle out of me. That's why I love you guys. Sanity in the midst of madness.

Formeforthem, tell the little voice to SHUT UP! No thank you! Or in the words of one of my favorite alcoholic bloggers in recovery "NOT TODAY, SATAN!"

Children launched off to school safely. Now I just have to get me ready which, since I start posting here, sometimes is a rush job.

Bernie, enjoy the cabin. I wish you lovely weather! But how can you leave the lovely new kitchen?

Marathon, congratulations on 27 days. Remember it's not a race. Enjoy the scenery along the way. Man. Got me thinking about how I was so focussed on getting drunk I was so completely blind to everything around me. Then I was in a race to count sober days and was still missing what was going on around me. When I slowed down (for me, a fast walk) things got so much better.

Okay, time to put my game face on. I'm cautiously optimistic that the fact that Mr. Ruby is now pointing out what's wrong with my program of sobriety means he's putting some thought into his own. Whatever works for him. And remember, your recovery plan may not look like someone else's plan but so long as you tweak it, incorporate suggestions from like minded people and STICK WITH IT, you will do just fine.

So, until later!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone! Tgif!
I'm not new also...but I was about 15 months ago and I would not like to feel like i did then again. But SR alone got me through it.

I've got a vacation coming up and I will be off the grid with no Internet or phone connection. I feel strong enough now to handle it. I hope I'm right. It won't be a party scene.

ok...gotta get moving. Beloved doggies are waiting patiently for their walk. Then a longish work day with lunch with a friend. Should be a good day.
See you all later.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

HAF I like the vanilla almond milk but the Silk chocolate is pretty good in a smoothie with peanut butter and banana.

Don't forget you have Gain
Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Oh Olive ! I have the flyer for David Sedaris when he's in the UK in june .

I'm going to try and get to see the show, he's very amusing

I'm off tonight to the hammersmith apollo to see Milton Jones and the temple of Daft . Should be a fun show

m