Newcomers Stay Sober This Weekend Thread 4/30 - until

Old 05-01-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 17 months Ruby !
Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I'm new - day two!

I have an art show to go to this evening. My plan is to just keep moving around and enjoy the art. Dinner after with hubby so there won't be any social pressure to drink. I intend to enjoy the rest of what should be a beautiful weekend.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

nanab ,
i found it useful to have a glass of fizzy water in my hand so i never got tempted by any drinks if there are some at the event
keep up the good work

m
Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Olive & Mex - I am also a David Sedaris fan, one of the few authors that have literally made me laugh out loud while reading! His audio readings are great too, I'm sure he's great live, enjoy Olive.

Got some laundry in while working from home this morning. Working to get a couple weeks off in early June for a local vacation, and then hoping to make a trip back to the States to visit family after that. My family wants to know my plans so they can make theirs....fair enough. My grandma has recently been moved to a new hospice wing at her "living assisted" facility. She's not expected to pass away anytime soon, but I am sure she won't be with us come autumn. I think I'll feel better if I book a ticket back to the States before too long. Thinking early July. Hope to ponder my upcoming trips, holidays, and life this next week up in the mountain cabin.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Big, isn't it great to work from hone and also be able to take care of things? I once fixed a clogged sink on my lunch break, ha ha.

Sorry about your grandma but I also did my internship at an assisted living facility and hospice does so much more than direct end of life care.

I actually made my bed and cleaned house. It feels good to feel a bit more human again. I have a week today and i feel life expanding again. I've joined two fitness challenges as well. Exercise really does help a lot. I've also realized that the sugar binges need to start tapering off now, lol.

Anyway, a delicious cup of coffee right now, going to do some work from a woman's devotional book I have and brine some chicken for dinner tonight.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Someone want to post Todd Rundgren's Bang the Drum All Day for Weasel? I heard it on the radio on my way to work and it's perfect for today.

Going to be lovely out but I'm inside. Bummer. Later.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

And Ruby, awesome 17 months!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Laundry done and bills paid. I think I am going to go see about new glasses. I saw an Oakley pair I liked on some guy and want to see if I can be as good looking in them.

Need to be out of the house for a few hours. They are sweeping the parking lots from all the winters residue. That means small stones being tossed about. Not on my brand new car they wont!

Have a great day!

K

Oh I know that song Ruby! Has some unpleasant memories for me. Ha Ha. but go for it if someone finds it! It's a fun song.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

BigS, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds like she's in good and compassionate hands.

Well done TS! The sugar. Ugh! Know how that is.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

BigS, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds like she's in good and compassionate hands.

Well done TS! The sugar. Ugh! Know how that is.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Weasel, I'm going to have to Google Oakley's now.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Especially for Weasel:

Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

The Menace In Venice

This Talk here yesterday of Canals and Gondoliers got me thinkin' of our 2008 Trip to Italy. Da Babe Wife; 6 -> 30-something Hairdressers, and one other Dude [the Salon Owner's Husband]. It didn't suck. Cashed in a Guano-load of Air Miles to sit way up front in the then-new, lay flat Seats in a 747.

See Venice at night below. We spent lotsa time hoofin' it around no matter which of 3 Cities we were in. Got a lead on a Work Pal's Cousin who coincidentally lived a few Doors down from our Hotel. She showed us around Insider Style, and that made for an even better time.

High Clouds here today, and it feels stupendous outside! 'Scotland Without The Airfare', as I call this atypical Weather. Wiped the Rain off my already-clean Truck, so we're ready to rumble 'round here. As the Woodstock Chant went: 'No Rain, No Rain...' Just Clouds today.

Gotta fix a tiny leak in a Sprinkler Valve. Head to the Bank and jockey Funds around. Hit the Dog Park. Da Wife heads out tonight with 2 Neighbor Gal Pals to swill Wine, so I might hit my fav Wing-serving Bar. If I'm there for a Meal, the environment doesn't faze me. Stick a Fork in my Azz. I'm done.

Gotta do some Shopping Lite on Amazon for a few items. Got a leaky Toilet Valve in my lil Trailer. The Pooch is trashing my Back Seat, so I need a Seat Cover. Something else I can't remember...

I'm duly impressed with all the thoughtful Planning going on here to get through the Early Daze of Sobriety. Way to nail it!

A big ole Shout Out to The Rube_ster on 17 Months under her proverbial Belt! Note the correct Gender reference there.

Peter Gabriel Live in Italy. Sledgehammer that AV 'til Roadkill flat. Music starts at Time Marker 1:20...

- 'Sledgehammer' ~ Peter Gabriel ~ Live -

-
Old 05-01-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

hello weekenders, hope all are set to keep themselves out of trouble...

weasel, if you wanna just look pretty oakleys are good, if you want real sunglasses take a look at maui jim - of course I use them for what they were designed for. I gave up looking good around ten years ago. Well at least trying to look good. I don't wear makeup and I look just fine without it.

Mrs, came home about ten minutes ago madder than ...
no hello, not interested in the lunch I made... great - anniversary is over already... a bit of a non-event in its own right...
Old 05-01-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Checking in and staying checked in for the whole weekend, friends! I even made plans that require driving for Sunday afternoon because I know that I'll be able to legally be behind the wheel for a change!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi all Hand waving from Wisconsin.. Iam in want to dig in my garden and plant seeds.. lots of sun please and I am in for another weekend of sanity.. or insanity. hahahahaha Welcome Labgirl.....
Old 05-01-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

i am in too- I have my son this weekend and my biggest commitment is to not drink around him anymore. And my puppy is getting neutered today so he is going to need some love. Hit up soccer fields & a birthday party tomorrow, the zoo at some point and maybe a baseball game. The game will be hard, I almost always have beer at the games. At least I will save about $50?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Happy sober friday. Think I might take myself on a date to Six Flags tomorrow. Glad to be on the bus with you all.
Weasel I can't dare own okleys. I probably own 100 pairs of sunglasses and don't know where any of them are.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Ruby!!

Well. I knew today would be a rough day as I didn't sleep well last night and was still sleepy this morning. In the middle of breakfast this morning, I started wondering where did we get this nice dish from? Then the realisation hit me that I was eating my oatmeal out of the cat's bowl...hopefully it had gone through the dishwasher. Early mornings don't suit me. I don't know who put it in the cupboard

There's a quote: "Bloody men are like bloody buses —
You wait for about a year
And as soon as one approaches your stop
Two or three others appear".

But replace "men" with "job interviews". Now that I have a job, the interviews are rolling in. I got offered a job interview next Tuesday, and I want to do it for the experience so we shall see how it goes.

I get these "daily truths" e-mailed to me, and I really like this one:

"Dear Seeking Girl,
Have you ever wondered what is the purpose of your life? What if the purpose of your life was to experience JOY?
Just think about it for a minute...what if it really was?
What would you need to change in your life?
What would you need to let go...what would you need to cling tighter to?
Well, the fact is that life IS supposed to be joyful. A joyful life isn't something that's meant for just some people. It is what is meant for all of us. It is what is meant for YOU.
Hold on tight to what is most important and precious, and let everything go that doesn't point you toward that which is true and peace-filled and joy-filled.
You are so very very loved.
xoxo"

I have decided that I need more joy in my life, so over this bank holiday weekend I am going out to have some fun with my friend I can forsee a movie and a nice dinner in my future.

Hope you all have a joyful weekend.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey... Oakleys ordered... 7 days I am a new man! These are everyday glasses that turn sunglasses outside. Will turn gray. I need progressive lenses. $500 later and they better make heads turn gosh darn it!

Thanks for the song Gilmer!

Welcome julesonya!