Notices

Sober Weekender Thread April 16 until...

Old 04-18-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I am in the same place right now Weasel it's a beautiful day and I am sitting here crying my eyes out. No clue why. Just`really really sad and lonely. I have people I could call but I don't even feel like talking to anyone. I just wanted you to know I understand. Tomorrow is a new day.
I know what that feels like, wanting to be alone a lot. I am sorry you are feeling blue today.

I have people I would like to call, but honestly, nobody knows what I am going through than the people at SR. Stay and post often to get through this hump.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Do your best

Watching the great gatsby with mrs sw
Old 04-18-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey K ,
Gratitude list time ?
I'll start you off ,
you're fit and healthy , you're sober when others find it hard to put a day together , you have a good job , a comfortable home , good food , heating , drinking water that won't make you sick straight from the tap / faucet , friends all around the world , you've helped lot's of people by your example and by driving the weekend bus , you're fun , thoughtful and caring , your fitness is good and you have a good figure with the gym time .

So come on K, you have lots of glorious sober life ahead of you you are more together than you have been in years , things are good and they have the potential to get far better , be patient and persistent

m
Old 04-18-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Watching the great gatsby with mrs sw
Which one? Old or new?
Old 04-18-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
New page, glad you found yoga. It is my saving grace, even when I was drinking! It clears the mind and the body.. You should try a hot yoga class sometime! It's unreal how good you feel after, even though you might feel like you're going to die while you're in there. I crave it now that I'm sober and its a great way to ward off av.. At least it works for me! Namaste!
Hi Strangeangel, Thanks! the yoga was really great! I was so glad that I finally got around to getting there!
They do have Hot yoga classes also and Kundalini, whatever that is!
Also they are having a 7 session Chakra meditation series, and of course I signed up! Not sure what a Chakra really is, but I am sure mine need clearing!
Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Sorry to those struggling, it seems a lot of people are in a bad place right now and I don't really have much to say but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hoping you all feel better soon.
Life just feels too hard sometimes, everyone goes through that and has down days, don't beat yourselves up for that and just definitely don't drink on it!
Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hey Weasel, did you get in touch with the trainer?
Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Oh and you yoga guys --
I've started doing it lots too and it's made such an amazing difference to how I feel both physically and mentally, I can't get enough!
I'm super lucky in that there's a great studio by my favourite AA meeting so me and one other AA girl go there twice a week after work then have a smoothie then go to our meeting,
now THATS a pretty different night to what I was doing drinking!!!
Love it
Old 04-18-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Oh and you yoga guys --
I've started doing it lots too and it's made such an amazing difference to how I feel both physically and mentally, I can't get enough!
I'm super lucky in that there's a great studio by my favourite AA meeting so me and one other AA girl go there twice a week after work then have a smoothie then go to our meeting,
now THATS a pretty different night to what I was doing drinking!!!
Love it
Wow that is awesome, Immri, AA and yoga together! Who would have thought that you would be having evenings like that in your drinking days!
I found a place 3 miles from home that has tons of classes so no excuse not to go!
And everyone is so darn friendly and happy, definitely a good atmosphere for me at this point. I spent the rest of the day smiling since I absorbed so many smiles there!
Old 04-18-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

dartmoor this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_01.jpg (18.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Immri and new page,

I'm getting odd my self pitying grumpy a$$ and going to yoga now! In a funk today, and I know yoga will get me out of it. Thanks for reminding me to take my own advice!! Ommmm
Old 04-18-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Mecanix that's beautiful!!

Newpage I'm exactly the same the people are so lovely and the yoga makes me feel so good, the entire experience definitely puts me in a good frame of mind

Strangeangel so glad to hear it! Sometimes I have to force myself when I'm feeling down but I always feel better once I'm doing it
Old 04-18-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Weasel and della...I'm so sorry you two are feeling sad on this beautiful day. I like Mecanix ' s gratitude list recommendation - it usually works for me. Along with a change of scenery or time talking to a friend. Counseling has helped me also in the past. And no...I don't live in Maine but I would love to be at the lobster shack right now, munching on a lobster roll.
I had a nice day and I don't know what I'll do next. Maybe I should go rent a movie.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I came across this picture in an article I have been reading about stoicism. I used to think stocism meant hardening yourself and accepting the suffering of the world. It's not. Stocism involves mature self reflection and examination in order to manage your mind and your interpretation of the world. Stoics, in particular Seneca, described how little we actually need to be content in life. I am fining these ideas helful to manage sober living. I find this image striking.

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Diogenes_-_Walters_37131.jpg (77.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

I have found a goldmine of help with modern living in ancient greek philosophy!

B
Old 04-18-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Court jester

This evening's tune deals with handling cravings and/or tough times (at least that's my interpretation). My all time fav band and one of my all time fav songs. Enjoy!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that people are sad xx

I am going to be sick. I'm reading a thriller and at night I like to light candles. My bedroom at my parents is in the attic, it gets warm so I have the window open. They live in a rural area. There are neighbours but the house is quite isolated. I was looking out the windows and the sheep were bleating and then they shut up very suddenly.
Now all I can think of is the serial killer outside...
I have to stop reading these types of books.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
EndGame

Disruptions in mood often accompany the onset of a new season, either remission or onset of depressive episodes. This phenomenon was referred to as "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (SAD) in DSM-IV. It's now listed under "Depressive Disorder with Seasonal Pattern." Episodes typically emerge in fall or winter, and remit in the spring. There are also cases that do not fit this pattern, as many people report episodes of low mood with the onset of spring. The challenging and overlong winter many of us have just survived, along with a seemingly abrupt change to milder weather, may account for current depressive symptoms.

I've suffered from major depression throughout my adult life, and experience a dramatic drop in mood during the first few days of January, a drop that digs in for the rest of the winter. I also feel uplifted in the fall, and get mixed results in the spring.

Seasonal depression often presents as a decrease in energy, overeating, craving carbohydrates, weight gain, and sleeping longer than normally...or at least staying in bed longer than usual. These symptoms are not exclusive to seasonal depression, and other symptoms are known to manifest as well. We also know that, due in part to the increased production of melatonin and the availability of Vitamin D, people who live in moderate climates combined with reliable sunshine suffer fewer symptoms of depression over the life span than their peers in colder or four-season climates.

Although suffering from depressive symptoms when winter changes to spring is less common, the symptoms also tend to remit more quickly as we adjust to the warmth and sunshine, and we can look forward to more stable mood states up until the fall (for those who experience seasonal effects).

The good news is that, if it's not a case of major depression, it doesn't last forever.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Wish I could see all the songs you guys post but my Kindle won't let me.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Thank you EndGame I tried to tell my counselor I felt like this whenever the seasons change even from winter to spring but she didn't believe me. I am taking Vit D and started tanning again so we shall see. This is the worst I have been since I quit drinking.