Notices

Sober Weekender Thread April 16 until...

Old 04-19-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

That is a lovely poem Tetra.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Good for you, thisibelieve! That's great.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Glad you had that chat with your friend, Tetra. I think my social anxiety was also one of the reasons I was drawn to alcohol as well. Glad you are making it through the days, and thanks for sharing the poem.

Well, some hard news hit me today folks. The girlfriend and I broke up this afternoon after a long weekend together. It's what I wanted (I think?) and so I am not broken-hearted...but certainly don't feel too chipper. It was a mature breakup, but after 8 months together it was not easy. She was a great supporter of my sobriety and a good companion. Despite the fact that a breakup was for the best, it will certainly be difficult moving forward without my best friend and safety net.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

I agree with Della, lovely poem.
I was bundling up sticks from the tree branches - I looked like the guy on Led Zeppelin IV carrying the bundles to the front of the house.
I was ordered to make dinner for 6P. Venison steaks and a few shrimp on the Barbie. I also steam my broccoli on the bar-b. Made a foil pouch with a bit of water. Baked potato and a salad with all the goodies.
I have a few more bundles of sticks to gather and tie. Put away my stuff and clear the "grass" of debris because we are supposed to get a bunch of rain.

this is on my to learn list on mandolin...

and a little more tambourine...

ya know, I had a ticket to see these guys at JFK in Philly in 1977. Concert was cancelled because Plant's son died. I wish I would have kept the ticket instead of getting my money back...
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

BigS, I'm sorry to hear your news. It's natural to feel sad despite knowing it's best for you. You can navigate it though. You are an amazing guy. Hugs.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Evening all.

Sorry to hear about the breakup BigS. Endings are always difficult. Glad you two had a mature discussion about it.

Had a lazy day here. Got some chores done. Had a fine tofu stir fry made by Mrs B. We watched the last ever episode of the Sopranos. I actually feel sad!

Well, hope everyone is having a calm and enjoyable Sunday.

Take care,

B
Old 04-19-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

I am sorry Big S
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey BigS, we can stand in for best friend for a little while.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

sorry to hear the news big S. It's good to be sober and more understanding of life.
You'll be fine. I guess she's gonna tell the folks that school is out then...

well, why not
saw this guy at the spectrum - one of the best - if not the best - shows ever...

Old 04-19-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Tetra,

Your post really hit home to me. Your friend is right. Alcohol is used by addicts to cope with something difficult. But what is that difficult something?

My main goal for sobriety (besides abstinence) is self-acceptance. It is something that comes after letting go. The urge to be perfect, to compare myself, to punish myself for mistakes lead me in a dark place. When I started being more mindful, I was shocked at the amount of negative self-talk I was doing. No wonder I felt like a wart!

The weekend is almost over. Early congratulations to everyone who spent it sober. Stay vigilant.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

well, why not
saw this guy at the spectrum - one of the best - if not the best - shows ever...
33 more school days, not that I'm counting.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

General question: has anyone had an eczema flare-up in early recovery?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

I don't have eczema but my skin broke out for a couple weeks. Felt 15 again. Maybe toxins getting out of your system.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I don't have eczema Pouncer but I hope you find relief soon. Our body chemistry is out of whack early on so it makes sense. I know I broke out a lot more and then it subsided.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Trying to catch up on the thread starting by reading backwards....sorry BigS about the change in your relationship but sometimes it really is wise to do what makes the most sense even though it isn't easy. Do be kind to yourself.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Ridin' With The King

Vincent Furnier - a.k.a. Alice Cooper - was one legendary Alkie. He broke the Drinking Cycle, and transferred his ACD propensities to daily Golf. He also is very involved in helping other Musicians get Sober.

Because several of his Bandmates were Alks unable to keep performing, he paid them $100k/year as a sort of 'Dole Income' to allow continued use of the Alice Cooper 'Brand'.

Well, boy, an Action Packed Thread this Weekend. All kinda Ups & Downs. I'm there in Spirit, sending Good Vibes out into this vast Universe to help Folks here get by.

In the ~300 Million year-old Seabed Uplift Formations at 'Arches National Park' nearby Moab Utah here, the Grand Poobah that runs everything sent a clear Signal seen below to maintain balance in our Lives. It's called - wait for it - 'Balanced Rock'!-)

On my last night here before Truckin' back tomorrow to Da Wife at the Colorado Ranchette, it's BBQ Chicken on the Grill with Skillet Potatoes & Onions. Cut up Veggies & Dressing. Ginger Beer. Boy, if you want to know how America Drinks, the Recycle Bins here at this All-American Campground are a Leading Indicator. Empty 1.75 Liters of cheap Canadian Whisky. Wine Bottles out the proverbial Kazoo. Beer Bottles in a separate Bin. 'Tis nice now to be a dispassionate Observer of this Phenom.

Pouncer ~ I had Eczema pretty bad as a Yoot. Got me 4F'ed right out of the Draft circa '71. I did have a lil flare-up when first getting Sober, but chalked it up to Alcohol as a Dessicant purging out of my System. No Science to my POV, but Ethanol conveniently fit the Timeline.

Nuffin' like the astounding expanse of Ma Nature 'round here to put my diminutive worries in perspective.

A John Hiatt Song written in Tribute to Elvis 'The King'. I'd rather be Cruisin' than Boozin'...

'Riding With The King' ~ B.B. King & Eric Clapton
-

-
Old 04-19-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Checking in this evening. It's been a busy weekend. Report is finished up, got through my teaching stuff, so I am ready for tomorrow. I got a used accordion this weekend at an antique store for a great price (I've been eyeing it for the last year and haggled), so I will be learning accordion. I am pretty excited about it.

BigS-I am sorry to hear about the break-up.

Ruby- I am sorry to hear mr. ruby is still staying out. That is tough. Is he interested in going to rehab again?

Soberclover-heh. I read the threads backwards when I don't keep up with it as well.

FAD-I think my eyes are burning....
Old 04-19-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

MM you have the best stories!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
MM you have the best stories!
Wouldn't a camping trip with MM telling stories around the campfire be divine?!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Wouldn't a camping trip with MM telling stories around the campfire be divine?!
I think it would be awesome. We could go hiking too.