Notices

Ch-ch-ch-changes! Weekender Thread Aug 8-10

Old 08-09-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Ride to shore was uneventful except the last 30 miles took two hours. Spent afternoon catching up and reminiscing while missus slept. Having a second cup of coffee at six. Heading up to free concert next to beach then a moonlit walk on beach. If she ever gets up.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Finally! My normal 5 hour ride was 7:20 nonstop. Everything unloaded and unpacked. Cat boxes cleaned. House is settled and I am safely back where I belong.

I made it through by the skin of my teeth. It was not easy and I have successfully reopened wounds that perhaps were never closed to begin with. Certainly not healed in any way. So I have plenty to sift over the coming weeks.

It puts me in a situation I need to be very careful. I am struggling with just about everything.

Lesson learned from this....

Just because you can out your head in the lions mouth does not mean you are brave.... It means you are stupid.

Let me unwind a bit and catch up on all the happening with you fine sober people.

Side note... While the lobster rolls were super tasty New Yorkers cannot make a lobster roll even with explicit instructions..... They never had a real one so they just didn't know. Everyone had an awesome time. I was even dancing a bit. Of course I got all the let me buy you a shot but I stuck to script. Oh thanks... But no thanks.... I leave to come back in a few hours and need to be sharp for driving that far. The evening was more about the visit than the drinking. A real mix of people. I served about 40 lobster rolls and everyone was thankful and cheerful.

Time to rest.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Made it through the BBQ. Offered drinks several times That sparkling water and lime come in handy. I got this weekend in the bag
Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Great to read about all of your weekends, Weekenders! This weekend also finds me on the Jersey shore. Had a wonderful day at the beach: warm water, big waves, soft sand. Get a lot of fun body surfing in. Being in beautiful places sober is such a blessing. Now I'm reading a great book and drinking a seltzer - a new kind of Saturday for me, and a very welcome change.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're back, Weas. Safe at home with the cats and hours away from NYC. You sound a bit shaken...but at the same time you're back on solid ground. Rest, recover, and do what works for you. You said some interesting things there, particularly: "just because we CAN, doesn't mean we SHOULD".

Thanks again for sharing your feelings, Weas. Really helped me to hear your thoughts! Glad to have you back for the remainder of the weekend!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Ditto what BigS said, just because we can, doesn't mean we should. It has nothing to do with being either brave or stupid. Sometimes we are just not mindful enough of our limitations.

I've never had a lobster roll so they probably could have served me one and I wouldn't have noticed.

I ran an errand earlier. I was driving a few blocks from my house, on a busy street, when a guy wobbled off the curb and staggered and wobbled and lurched his way across the street. I recognized him as a guy with the nick name "forty ounce." Forty ounce comes to AA meetings when it's cold outside or raining. Or when he needs a cigarette or two. He knows the program inside and out but is drunk all the time. Just doesn't want to live sober. So in the smack dab middle of a summer day he is weaving his way across the street. If he does that at night he is going to get hit by a car. It was very sad. I don't think any of us want that life. Or a nickname like 40 oz.

Kids in bed. Son before my daughter tonight which was amazing. I'm off for ice cream and then bed. And to take my daugthers ipod away from her. My dad downloaded Frozen on it and she is watching it.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I just love this thread. You all are inspirational and fun, and I'm thrilled to be part of the WEEKENDERS.

We are home safely after a busy day. Our daughter arrived from NYC, but is out with her best friend. Tmr we are heading out to go scuba diving, so won't be around on the thread much. IF I get any good photos, I'll share them.

Good night, friends.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I used to wake up every single morning with this pit in my stomach. As soon as my eyes opened I was desperately trying to piece together the night before. Who had I called? What had I said? What had I done? Were the kids ok? Mind racing, feeling either still drunk or so sick...sometimes I could remember some things, sometimes nothing. God it was awful. Sadly, I had grown so accustomed to it the feeling became "normal". The pit stayed with me after awakening, so heavy it was immobilizing at times. It only went away with klonopin or booze or both. Of course there it was again every morning though.

After I quit, that pit in my stomach was gone. Completely gone. I didn't even realize how sh!tty I felt all the time until after I quit. The contrast was startling. I cannot describe the freedom!

That was the first change I noticed. It's only gotten better since then.

Trach...I LOVE that song. I had the vinyl. Yeah, I knew you wouldn't have busted out the Bowie right away.

Me too. Every morning saying "morning honey" to my wife and hoping that I hadn't done something stupid the night before.

So over being black out drunk!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi, Sunday morning here in UK, 06.13 am, I visited a farmers market yesterday and bought a side of salmon and lots of fruit and veg, and some flowers for my mum in law, and a bunch for me cos it was my 56 th birthday. My second birthday, sober, I add. Lol.

The av been telling me some awful lies, though, but got through it, came here, realised I am not alone with all you fine wonderful people on this same journey.

Happy weekend, my friends.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Mags happy birthday

I hope my 56th is a sober one ..

Regards, m
Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks mecanix, it will be, I'm sure.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Happy birthday.
Sunday morning here, wow the sun is out! Best get off here and give the family their breakfast. ?...xx
Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Dang you, Ken...now you've got me wanting a lobster roll! Just kidding, glad the trip has been good for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Well, cleaned out two big boxes of clothes I hadn't gone through in maybe 2 years.

Barrelling along, going well. In the process, I found 2 empty bottles of wine and three empty mini spirit bottles.

In a box of clothes...sigh.

What a life I used to lead.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Mags!

Weasel, glad you're back. Glad the lobster rolls were a smash hit.

I've never had one. What is in them?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Mags! Enjoy your birthday weekend.
Château de Fandy has fresh black russian pumpernickel bread I baked in my bread machine, lox and cream cheese. And some nice ripe brie, raspberries and blueberries
First, lots of coffee.
Weasey! Glad you came home with your sanity intact. ..Now stop sticking your hand on the stove.
That past is there, you revisited, poked the rubble. Fed friends, were gracious and did what was needed. Got your stuff and had a plan....it was still difficult.
Next time you drive those lobsters to my house! We'll make lobster mac and cheese and wow the masses.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Happy BD Mags!!!

Gilmer, The most traditional I see is a top split bun toasted... a small bed of lettuce on the bottom with loads of fresh lobster and claw meat on top. Some put a slight bit of mayo mixed with the meat but some don't. Some do lemon zest on op for added freshness. Other server with a lemon wedge. They are very good.

Up late for me but I needed the rest. Still tired. I will push to get out and walk this morning. I need to hear those sea gulls and smell the water.

Looks like everyone is doing well. Lets see what a sober Sunday can bring.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi, Sunday morning here in UK, 06.13 am, I visited a farmers market yesterday and bought a side of salmon and lots of fruit and veg, and some flowers for my mum in law, and a bunch for me cos it was my 56 th birthday. My second birthday, sober, I add. Lol.

The av been telling me some awful lies, though, but got through it, came here, realised I am not alone with all you fine wonderful people on this same journey.

Happy weekend, my friends.
Happy 2nd birthday sober!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Talking

Sunday afternoon and only been up an hour! Best lie in ever! I feel great! Was kept up sometime last night by the village pub over the road throwing all the drunken folks out! I was one of them 10 days ago! So proud I am not now! Going to my folks for Sunday lunch later, I will be sober and not wanting to race home for my fix!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Morning folks. I stayed in last night and went to bed early. Needless to say, when I woke up at 5.45am and walked up to my terrace with the camera in hopes of catching some morning birds, I was pretty happy to be rewarded with this surprise. What a glorious way to start a Sober Sunday.

My first thought was "OMG, I've got to share this with the SR Weekenders!" LOL. Thanks for indulging me, guys: