Notices

Ch-ch-ch-changes! Weekender Thread Aug 8-10

Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Sorry you didn't like the lego movie Happy. I admit I was one of the people who liked it but maybe it's because I'm always tripping on Legos.

Ken, have a safe trip back. You can close the door on that chapter.

I'd like to go to Mystic as an adult. I went a million years ago when I was about six. I vaguely remember the tall ships and vividly recall that I contracted mumps on that trip.

I went to my meeting with a friend. We had a good time but it was topical and we discussed strategies on not becoming complacent in sobriety.

Now I'm home relaxing. My son is sleeping over at my brother's and my daughter is now quietly in bed. I guess I was lying when i said I never watch football sober. I've got the game on now for background noise. Bears losing.

I think it's time for ice cream.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hi folks - checking in from the mountains of Central America on this fine Friday night. My neighbor was having a party this evening and I stopped by. It was definitely an older crowd, I was the youngest there by 20 years I reckon. But, I was asked by my neighbor to come, so I did! It was a small gathering of other ex-pats down here: Germans, Dutch, and Americans. The party was to celebrate the return of one of their gang after a trip to the states. He's an artist, musician, poet, and author. He even read some poetry that was recently published in a magazine...very hip stuff! We feasted: chicken, potato salad, greens, and carrot cake for desert. Many of them were drinking wine, but as usual I "BYOS" (brought my own seltzer) and enjoyed hanging out for a couple hours. They were kind to invite and include me, and it's good for my social character to attend these types of things. Happy I went, good to be home.

Good to be here on SR with you all again as we get the sober wagon into gear!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

BigS that sounds like a nice gathering. Cool and interesting people, good food. Low key. But I know what you mean by being glad to be home. Bears still losing. They scored but so did Philly. Don't know if you are a Bears fan or maybe Vikings. Or wholly football apathetic.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Wow, this is a very good weekend thread. Good onya, Ken. Happy travels tomorrow.

A long road bike ride tomorrow morning and some tidal creek kayaking in the afternoon. Hope everyone has a great, fun weekend. If you're just starting the sober way please know that it gets easier and is the greatest gift you can give yourself.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Ruby, I'm a huge Vikings fan and love the NFL and MLB!!! I could do without the pre-season games (the ones that are on now) but I really do love those Sunday afternoons!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hi Ruby - love football. long suffering Jets fan learning to appreciate the absurd more and more. Got a problem with Vic as QB though. Very conflicted. Don't want to discuss or start any controversy here on SR, not the place. But that's just another cross for ME to bear with this team. Nothing to drink over though!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Greetings gang. Loving reading about your weekends. Isn't it awesome how we can do this together???

So. . . as Weasel is leaving NYC, my daughter will be, too. She will be here tmr and I get to have a bunch of hugs. YAY for me!!!

BigSombrero - I was in Central America several weeks ago. We were on an educational trip to Costa Rica. I loved my visit. What a beautiful country and I loved the people.

Glad you figured out the leak, LBrain. And, Trach. . . loving the sound tracks for the weekend, too. Keep 'em coming.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Don't know if you are a Bears fan or maybe Vikings. Or wholly football apathetic.
Ruby, don't you mean football pathetic?? How about them Packers? Tiptree, I do not want to discuss or start any controversy here on SR either Ruby just opened the door for that one though.

BigS, your party sounds like it was a fantastic way to spend an evening. I love carrot cake, especially with that really great, not sweet but more bitter type of cinnamon, pecans and cream cheese frosting. Yum. Did you have some good conversation?

Altoids, the enthusiasm you have for loving and getting to see your daughter is so nice to read.

Weasel, do you feel a sense of being lighter or unburdened now, in a way? Enjoy your traveling to your true home.

Very late dinner now. And watching the first episode of "Top Chef: Duels". Back later! Happy sober Friday to everyone

Old 08-08-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Definitely in. Back to a month today. Have too much to lose by drinking or going back to day one. Just going bring my sparkling water and soda. Shouldn't even contemplate the battle of sobriety in my head. But I want be honest with everyone since I am sure we have all been there.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Altoids, the enthusiasm you have for loving and getting to see your daughter is so nice to read.
LeTheVerte - Thank you so much. Empty nest is when my drinking started. Yeah, I know. . .late bloomer. That hole in my heart, having my identity as 'mom' was ripped away. . . or so it seemed at the time. I only drank for 3 years. Yeah, I'm an efficient alcoholic, too. It grabbed me fast and hard and threw me to the ground. Recovery is difficult. Try recovery while going thru menopause. LOL! Yeah, it ain't for sissies. LOL!

SO. . . yes, being present for my kiddos and mom are what keep me living each and every day to the fullest. The best thing I can do for the people who love me is to take GREAT care of me. And I happen to like me better, too.

Plus my daughter is an amazing woman. Like my mom, she is one of my heroes.

Gosh, I'm grinning ear to ear just thinking about tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

But I want be honest with everyone since I am sure we have all been there.
Letitgo ~ yup. Been there. I find that when I tell someone when those thoughts hit me, it takes the wind out of them and they are easier to manage. SR is soooo great for that. Someone is always here to talk me thru it, encourage me. I fess up with my AA group, too. Hiding anything like that in recovery seems to crack my foundation. YAY for you. Thanks for trusting us.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Happy weekend everyone. Whale watching season here, so there are some pretty amazing sightings off Sydney at the moment. Whale watching was the thing I did on my first sober weekend last July (my first completely sober weekend in over 10 years).

It was a great way to connect with nature and realise all the great things I'd put off doing in life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (87.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Weather is glorious here at the moment. Just about every day is sunny. Pic from my daily walk. Boat is a replica sailboat you can tour Sydney Harbour in. Can you see the sailors right up on the masts?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!xx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (46.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey hey hey ,
saturday morning here in swinging london . I hope everyone made it through last night …

if you didn't then there is a new day now and we can get to try again , take what we've learned apply it better, add things go to meetings , hangout with other sober people . The main thing is to not give up hope,
We never learned to ride a bike at one sitting , so it might take a bit to get it right and learn how to deal with it all sober , keep learning and trying .

Coffee pot is calling me

Goodmorning to you , m
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Hey hey hey ,
saturday morning here in swinging london . I hope everyone made it through last night …

if you didn't then there is a new day now and we can get to try again , take what we've learned apply it better, add things go to meetings , hangout with other sober people . The main thing is to not give up hope,
We never learned to ride a bike at one sitting , so it might take a bit to get it right and learn how to deal with it all sober , keep learning and trying .

Coffee pot is calling me

Goodmorning to you , m
Hello from Staffordshire! I made it through my second Friday evening thanks to this forum! I watched the story about Ryan Rogers on my iPad and broke down! I will never touch alcohol again! Like he says:"it's the one that got me and it's the legal one!" (Quote might not be word for word but it's what I remember).

Going to do happy things today and remain positive! Going to get me some nice coffee form a lovely shop in Lichfield and got some non alcoholic Becks beer chilling in the fridge for tonight! Sorted!

Hope everyone else did ok?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello buggirl ,
For me the ritual of NA beer is too close to regular beer so i tend to skip anything which is "like" or "nearly" drinking .. We all make our own choices tho ..

Have a good sober saturday
Old 08-09-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Hello buggirl ,
For me the ritual of NA beer is too close to regular beer so i tend to skip anything which is "like" or "nearly" drinking .. We all make our own choices tho ..

Have a good sober saturday
Totally appreciate your view point. I love the hops and malt in beer and have always known that without alcohol I just wouldn't have to worry anymore hence me drinking it, but I can only drink one or two and that's me done where's as, if there was alcohol in, we all know how it would end!

Have a fab Saturday!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Good morning sober weekenders! Glorious morning here in London Town. Drinking coffee here catching up on SR. Hope everyone had a safe and sober Friday night.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!!

Just arrived at work and getting my coffee on!!

The sun is shinning, should be a nice day when I'm done this afternoon, and then time for some relaxation!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Up and heading home! See you all later!