Notices

Ch-ch-ch-changes! Weekender Thread Aug 8-10

Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It's very early Saturday morning. Time for some ocean music and then I'm gone for the day. Peace.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Early morning check in. All is well at Chateau de Nonsensical. My oldest son and his lovely wife arrived late last night. (He has his father's luck when it comes to finding a good woman!) I was already in bed, but I heard the dogs greeting them when they arrived. Everyone else is still sleeping. I get to cook bacon for 8 loved ones later this morning- you know I hate that!

Glad you made it through your events in good spirits Ken. Safe travels!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Good morning, People of the Sober Way!

Went to bed early and exhausted (and sober) yesterday. Up early and had some breakfast. Iced tea next.

About halfway through Rational Recovery and it seems like a worthwhile read. Chapter 4 was a long slog (for me), but the following chapters get back to more useful and practical ideas. First thing on my reading list this morning.

Been stressed re: washing machine breaking down and needing more money than I can manage. Cost of repairs are most of the cost of a new machine. Going to a trusted store today to see whether I can buy one (maybe used) on installment plan.

I keep telling myself I can make do somehow, whether it's going to the nearby laundromat for a few months or getting myself a washtub and manual wringer (dryer still works). It's not like I have to dodge bullets, bombs and Ebola to get my laundry done. Still a little too much to deal with. I don't want to be bothered. Dealing with it anyway.

I should watch an Endeavour or two this weekend (and do a crossword puzzle! I bought an NY Times collection with little intros to the puzzles last weekend).

Hoping everyone has a fun or at least tolerable Sober Weekend!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I would like some bacon.
Woke up with a headache out of strange dreams, good thing I filled my calendar for today, I need to stay busy.
Love everyones pics. Especially the whales.
Hope you have a safe trip home Ken, no traffic, back later
Kevin, I lived without a dryer for almost a year, but there are good sales now and maybe check craig's list. We sold stacked washer/dryer from my mother's house for $350. That was under 3 years old, we paid 950. For it.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories of what they are up to this weekend. I'm just having a quiet one, relaxing, reading and I'll get out for a run at some point too.

Thanks to those who posted photos and postcards, they are great.

It's a busy thread again this weekend, great to see!

Will check in again later, folks. Have a lovely Saturday, everyone.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Ken, thanks for the weekender thread!

There were many physical changes that I saw right away but there were also a few amazing discoveries that I made within the first month:

1. That all the reasons that I used to justify my drinking were really reasons why I needed to stop drinking. Drinking just stopped me from fixing the problems.

2. That all the stress I felt at work during the week wasn't because of the work. It's because I was irritated that I wasn't drinking at that moment. It was then that I realized that this was my attitude all the time when I wasn't drinking.

3. That all the people that I thought drank normally don't. It's just that I couldn't see that because I was right there with them. I was out with a few friends who were drinking and a friend who is an extremely private person said something in a group of people that I would never imagine her ever saying. I was shocked. All those years that I hung around with her and never saw it because I was tending to my own addiction.

All good stuff! Learning!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Time. I got back time. That's what I noticed. Time started out slow in the first few days; like days went really slowly; then after several weeks I had a lot of time on my hands and was frantically productive. Now, I still have a lot of time and a choose more deliberately how to fill it.
Hope all are well on the weekend thread.
One of my favorites to read.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning all,

Thank you trachemys..Southern Cross is one of my all time favorite songs. It made my day to listen to it.

My daughter and I are getting ready to head out for our girls overnight trip. It's raining here again. We might take the long way to Charlotte through the Uwharrie National Forest. We have no real agenda other than to have fun and go to IKEA tomorrow so if we miss the mall this afternoon, that will be okay.

Take care everyone, I will catch you all tomorrow. Stay strong if these are early days for you. It really does get easier but you have to push through the early days and have faith.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I went to bed early and slept in. I'm in a remarkably better frame of mind this morning. Getting enough sleep is one thing I've been neglecting and it makes a difference.

Ladyinblue, your description of the irritation and aggravation at work because it was interfering with drinking was spot on for me. Thank you for that reminder. I still get annoyed and irritated with things in general but see lack of sleep above.

Weasel, glad your guests arrived safe and sound. Bacon for all!

Bears, Vikings, Packers, Jets. Well, I did live in Minnesota for twelve years and went to college in Wisconsin so I root for everyone. My dad switched allegiance to the Jets years ago for some obscure reason. He may not be an alcoholic but he carries resentments like one at times. And yes, football apathetic. I saw those Eagles buses and wondered if I'd see Vick, not realizing he went to the Jets.

And Kevin made me think of something. We are a tribe of folk with different backgrounds and common goal - People of the sober Way.

The photos of Sydney and whale watching are spectacular. Thanks for sharing your morning walk with us.

Daughter woke up. Sleeping later for me means abbreviated quiet time. She saw a shirt at Walmart yesterday while there with Daddy that was "adorable" and has kittens on it and she hasn't stopped asking about it since my mother dropped her off last night. Paused only by sleeping,she awoke talking non stop about the shirt. I am too indulgent but will probably get it. I have to get her school supplies anyway so may as well.

Time to get ready.

Oh, Kevin, I second Fandy's suggestion of Craig's list for a washer or if you have a local paper, or grocery store that has a "for sale" board by the entrance. I got my washer for free from a neighbor of my parents who was clearing out his Dad's stuff. I'm going to check out Craig's list for a dishwasher.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Good morning, tribe. So glad to be here with you all. Busy day for us. HUGE sale and party at our favorite scuba hang out. Diving friends are really awesome. We have so much fun on land and underwater.

THEN. . .to the airport to pick up our beautiful daughter. YAY for HUGS for MOM!!!! Yep, one excited mama here!!! Happy to be present for this day.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Crisis averted. Washing machine being delivered as I type. The rest of the weekend should be easy-peasy.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Morning folks. Ladyblue & Ruby - oh my gosh, that is exactly part of the reason I was so irritated at my old job. Those 9-5 hours got in the way of my drinking, big time! In my case, I actually quit my job...just walked out the door and started drinking full time. I squandered a lot of valuable things to feed my addiction. But it's never too late to get sober and turn things around, glad to see so many here this weekend doing just that.

Glad to be sober down Guatemala way this morning. Got up at 6.30 and had coffee up on the terrace. Always a beautiful morning view. Then I went to the big Saturday market, I came home with backpacks full of fruits and veggies, and immediately made myself a pineapple-banana smoothie for breakfast. For lunch I'll do rice and beans and a huge salad. This evening I might dine at a restaurant, as I may attend an art gallery opening afterwards. I am starting to discover that "life after dark" isn't completely off limits for me anymore. I've been cautiously exploring the evening scene for the first time in 2+ years of sobriety and it's not nearly as scary as I'd expected. Probably helps to be in a new environment where I don't have alcohol-driven memories intruding everywhere.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
nmd

Good morning all!

Weasel- glad you are getting home unscathed. It sounds like quite an emotional roller coaster of a trip.

Ltv- jealous of the oysters. I spent last weekend with friends in the 1000 islands and caught enough perch and bass for a little breakfast our last morning.

Haven't cut my grass in two weeks... I guess I should get on that. Have a great weekend all! Ill be checking back in often to keep myself out of trouble.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
nmd

I'm in the process of reading RD too. Some of it definitely feels like an infomertial for itself, but the meat of it is good and I relate to lot of what it says. Thank you for reminding me to pull it out of my pile of unfinished books, lol.

About halfway through Rational Recovery and it seems like a worthwhile read. Chapter 4 was a long slog (for me), but the following chapters get back to more useful and practical ideas. First thing on my reading list this morning.

Been stressed re: washing machine breaking down and needing more money than I can manage. Cost of repairs are most of the cost of a new machine. Going to a trusted store today to see whether I can buy one (maybe used) on installment plan.

I keep telling myself I can make do somehow, whether it's going to the nearby laundromat for a few months or getting myself a washtub and manual wringer (dryer still works). It's not like I have to dodge bullets, bombs and Ebola to get my laundry done. Still a little too much to deal with. I don't want to be bothered. Dealing with it anyway.

I should watch an Endeavour or two this weekend (and do a crossword puzzle! I bought an NY Times collection with little intros to the puzzles last weekend).

Hoping everyone has a fun or at least tolerable Sober Weekend!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

It's 19:40 here in the Uk and all is well! I have had a rare lovely day with my other half and my folks, a great meal out and I am just settled down to have a snack and watch Netflix! It's great to not be stuck in the pub!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi ForgetfulKevin ,
Glad you got the washing machine. For me the spirit of sobriety touched many parts of my life , not just the drinking . I also found myself being more rational and less excessive about money and stuff . I even manage to save something these days

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-09-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Every comment on money makes me realize I am glad to have some. Went shopping for school supplies for just my daughter's stuff. Ouch. Six rolls of paper towels, three boxes of Kleenex, wipes, bandages, five boxes of pencils, copy paper, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, crayons, folders, paper, 12 glue sticks. That isn't the whole list either. I'm glad they wear uniforms. I don't have to get back to school outfits except new shoes for son. I go shopping for his supplies next week.

Glorious day here. Sunny and breezy. Nice in the shade. I may venture to see if I have any produce to pick in the garden. Too long since I last checked.

BigS, it sounds like you are in a fabulous location. Art gallery opening, ex pats,. I think we find ourselves self limiting because we forget that life for most people doesn't actually revolve around alcohol but usually around relationships with other people. I love big farmers markets. Browsing and seeing and smelling. I can't smell very much anymore so it is usually more visual for me.

Time to check the garden.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders

Settled in for my Saturday evening, Day 3 of the PGA Championship is on, Rory McIlroy leading, though still a long way to go!!

I've been having quite a few weekends in these last few weeks, generally because I've been working so many Saturdays, so always feel like I want to relax in the evenings!!

A few weeks from now though our local ice hockey league starts, so I'll be out and about most weekends for the next few months, so not feeling any guilt about not doing very much these last few weeks!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

All you gardeners out there. A lot of mostly nothing. My squash and cucumbers have powdery mildew. Doctor google said diluted milk to treat. Anyone have experience with it? I will never get this gardening thing down. Mi just don't put in the time after planting. Then it gets to be August and I have no produce to show for it. My determinate tomatoes have a bunch of fruits on them but the plants look like they are dying. The indeterminates are really tall and healthy looking but not a lot of fruit or blossoms. I'm pulling some of the milkweed to let some sun and air flow in. Frustrating. Just very frustrating.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

The biggest for me is the realization that yes, I am living without alcohol and I didn't fall apart from not drinking.

Now, I notice people with alcohol problems. I see me (the past) in them. It's a little weird, but I'm okay. I feel bad for them