Notices

Ch-ch-ch-changes! Weekender Thread Aug 8-10

Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Brussel sprouts are good with bacon.

Can't believe bacon hasn't been mentioned yet.....
Me either. It took this long for someone to mention bacon?????? What is wrong with you people!!!!

Ah changes. I have been sober just over 2 years now and I can't believe all the changes I had to make and was actually willing to make.

Things have changed a lot for me since that day I decided to end the madness. I have found the peace and contentment I was always trying to find. Things aren't perfect all the time, but I can't believe how much mellower I am and how the little things just don't bother me like they use to anymore.

Life is good, I have 2 wonderful grandkids that I just love so much and am so blessed that I get to see them every single day! I am with my daughter and my son-in-law and it is so awesome to not be an annoying mother or MIL that is drunk all the time!

Here's to another sober weekend!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Gooood morning weekenders!

Team... This has been a tough one. The event was brought up last night. Ignorance abounds.

As I catch up I see my favorite being thrown around... Brussels sprouts. Cut in half... Oilive oil and brown them to crisp the edges a bit. Add chicken broth and slow cook on low until they start to soften but not mushy. Dump in butta. Salt and peppa generously. Once the broth has reduced by half or more and they are softer, again not mushy, add a touch of cream. To die for.

Walking over to get my old favorite BF sandwich. Sausage egg and double cheese on a soft roll. No wonder I gained 20 lbs living here.

Non.... I am taking back a bunch of Taylor ham with me!

22 friggin hours to leave this hell hole.

Catching the first off peak train into the city. Soberclover I am heading your way! Walk the west side. Catch lunch at Cosi down by the World Trade Center. Get some good exercise in.

Trip has some edges to it but I was not stupid enough to think it didn't. I saw a bunch of things I wanted for my apartment. I am taking them back with me. It's like going shopping and everything is free. Why? Because it my stuff anyway. I deserve to take what the heck I want.

Will post NYC pics later!

Tomorrow I will be back to normal and back home where I belong.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

((((Ken))))
Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Weasel - It sounds like it's tough. I'm glad you are staying strong but we will all breath a sigh of relief when you return tomorrow. What you've done for yourself is truly inspirational.

Brain, weirdly, I had a dream last night about an unknown leak coming from the ceiling. Keep us posed on what you find out.

Ruby, there is room in the car for you! My family drives me nuts too. Last night, son decided to completely rearrange his room at 8:00 p.m. This involved dumping the contents of his room in to the hallway, making an enormous amount of noise and causing general chaos. In fairness, he put it all back together and vacuumed his room (after 10 p.m.), but there are nights I long for peace, just quiet blessed peace. I know I'll miss my kids terribly when they are grown, but I swear I won't miss the noise and chaos.

Hope it's a great sober Friday for everyone!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Weasey, big hugs from across the GWB...and it wasn't an "event" Football is an event, a birthday party is an event.... wrestling on TV is an event.

it was an ASSAULT, plain and simple. sheesh, I want to drive out there and put the slapomatic to good use on the ignorance....(I can easily be sighted as the crazy woman with a tasteful nail job.....but I definitely have the big hair this morning, it is frightening).

get your stuff and get out ASAP, bring the good bread and pork roll and some good sweet sausage....oh and the almond cookies from the Italian pork store, they will freeze well.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A little morning change?

Old 08-08-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good morning she says as she emerges, crumpled, and rubs her sleepy eyes. Joining you with a cup of coffee.

Yay Weasel! I like Fandys description of surviving an assault. It is one. For me going back was always an anxious experience because I realized I no longer belonged where I used to fit. That caused some discomfort too as I processed the feelings. Not too much longer and you will be back in the land of pine trees and lobsters. With marvelous views of the water. Think of those peaceful scenes and the sounds of the water slapping on the boats.

Charlee, kids and furniture. I came home the other day and they had both dragged their mattresses into our small living room and were cozily watching tv in the middle of the mess. "Dad said we could!" I complain about the noise but I think that when they aren't here to make it I will be sad until I adjust. Even now when it is quiet it's a little unnerving.

Brain, sorry about your mystery drip. Maybe it's condensation. Is it really humid there? Either way it needs to be checked but it may not be anything big.

I keep going to bed and waking up with my head filled with kitchen stuff. What all needs to be done when? Can I reuse my old sink? I'm going to have to ride it out. I haven't even started it but when it's all done what will I then focus on? Oh, I've got plenty!

Time to think about getting ready. Talk to you all later. Have a great day!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Ruby.... Thank you.

Miss Fandy.... What gets me is it seems to be common knowledge that two people who I will see tonight have had domestic issues. He has hit her several times. People have told me that they will not react well to him being there. He heard about lobster night word of mouth and will be there. He is always there everyday.

It was in everyones reaction to that this that makes me feel very uncomfortable. Only a handful know of my experience. I handled my assault, that's such a hard word for me, completely wrong. But I did what I needed to to protect my future.

I remained silent. I put a plan together. And I executed the plan.

I will certainly get looks from those that know tonight. I wonder what they think. I don't care what they think but I wonder. What don't I see. How blind have I remained.

I can tell you It feels oppressive. I feel a weight here I don't feel at home. Of course I would. But seeing those that don't know about me feel so strongly and having J near me I feel a fraud.

I did not make a mistake coming here. I am proud of myself for seeking out what I need to heal. I cannot be judged by any standard but my own.

Being sober allows for a depth of vision and gives me the tools I need when I need them.

I feel motivated by this weekend. I feel a rush to continue with my exercising in hopes I will feel good enough to meet new people. I feel the desire to put myself out there like at no other time in my life.

I go from anger to sadness in a flash. That's my sign to stop. Spend my day in the city. Feel that energy. Feel good.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey folks... This is the weekender thread... It's a place for positivity but the reality of why we are here is real. So don't be afraid to share tough things. Seems I did. Lol

We are a team and will be glad to help you out.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Weasel, I love NYC. My daughter lives there and I just love hanging out with here in the city. It never feels like a big city to me. It feels like a village. She will be flying home tmr, though. YAY for MOM!!! I adore that girl. And I'm THRILLED that I can be present for her trip. I love being present for each and every day.

So. . .today I am gonna finish getting things ready for our daughter's visit. Excited mama right here!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hiya all, got a window seat spare on this bus?
I'm Day 11 after a sketchy July with birthday and holiday, but zero alcohol in the house and got my exercise DVD lined up ready to do when the kids go to bed tonight. I am exercising almost daily and getting really smart about carbs/protein instead of just fat/cals in food so having a bit of a revelation and dropping weight nicely. By the end of this thread I should have another 1lb off; I'll try not leave a sweaty mess in here! I guess it's my main revelation, that I just have energy to focus on my diet/fitness/body whenever I want, without having to factor in breaks for hangover days etc. Sorry for rambling, just loving where I am right now and feels like a Eureka moment. August may well turn into my first ever dry month since my teens lol! Have a grear weekend all x
Old 08-08-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I am grateful today for the new mattress that is being delivered. Tired of waking up in pain. Have an old double pillow top mattress that is huge like a great white whale and weighs a ton, thank god we will finally get rid of it. Our bed is so high with this thing ( even with the low profile box spring) we have to literally jump up a bit to get in, dog can't even jump off it LOL. I remember we bought this enormity after drinking our lunch at a bar in the mall. Salesman knew our number that day. Well, he was charming. Knew it was a mistake, over our budget, 17" mattress, but he was so nice and we were gonna be big shots spending the big bucks. Idiots! A good thing about being sober, better decision making, don't need to compensate for being a drunk.

Out with the old, in with the new. That's cha cha change! Thank you sobriety!

Happy Sober Friday! Hope you all have a beautiful day!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Weasey, your episode of abuse does not have to be common knowledge among acquaintances. It just might keep bringing that pain to the front and center of attention. anyone would feel uncomfortable with the circumstances you explained.

Maybe keep plan B in place for tonight's gathering....come in a bit later, leave a bit earlier, claim to be tired, lower GI upset (no one will ask the lurid details of diarrhea), pack the car and get on the road early.

you can mull over the encounters at the time you are not overwhelmed, maybe next week or whenever. and put them away, close the door for now, move forward to better friends, partners. you have a strong foundation and it has been built carefully with the right materials....(except for the pork roll and bacon)
Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 27 here, yay!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
If you have only a day or so or have not stopped drinking or drugging yet I would really like to hear from you. What are your expectations from a sober life?
I would love to not walk through live feeling like a zombie, just a day here and there where I'm not tired, where I don't slump over and fall asleep every afternoon. Drinking after work is a quick fix, getting healthy and getting restful sleep is hard.

Expectations definitely can set me up. After a couple days sober and I find that I'm still exhausted much of the time. I'm anxious. It's still hard to deal with the kids. Arguments with the GF can still happen. Friends don't stop drinking. BS still happens in life. As you said being sober is definitely not a light switch that instantly changes everything.

I went on a weekend trip with my girlfriend followed by a camping trip with friends. I wasn't ready for it. I easily went right back to a twelve pack a day on days off.

The good news? I have nothing coming up. No vacations. No trips. No expectations. I have time to be sober.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders,

Friday afternoon here in Blighty. I'm doing fine, day 17 here and feeling great. Long may it continue.

It's been good reading everyone's stories and insights.

Ken, I hope you're doing OK in NYC.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

leak is fixed!

Rule number 1: Look for the obvious.
Went to store to get moisture meter, hit the gym until bank opened. Got home and started checking for source of leak. It seems one of the gallon water jugs I keep under the sideboard for emergencies decided to leak.
Crisis averted. But still have a little wet laminate flooring and subflooring.
Weird coincidence I found that water drip.

So everyone have a chuckle on me. I envisioned the worst possible scenario.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Lbrain, well done for fixing that leak! Must have bee stress you didn't need!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey weekenders, I'm late to the party, but it is still only Friday evening!!

Not much planned this weekend, got my car serviced last weekend so that's off my to-do list, working tomorrow morning, again, I think that's 3 saturdays in row now, but without a hangover it's a breeze!!

Gonna be chilling out this evening anyways, there seems to be plenty of war documentaries on these last few weeks, as it's the 100 year anniversary of the WWI starting, so with a pot of green tea that will eat up an evening quite nicely!!

Welcome to all newcomers, this is where we keep it Sober for the weekend!!

Let's do this!!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

AArgh, I called in sick for work today. My feet always hurt, usually the ball of my left foot and especially after a long day. But when I got home yesterday, the heel hurt so badly I couldn't walk. It felt the same way this morning. Everyone else at work has been calling in sick with colds...

I need to call my mother soon. She lives on Maui, and I want to see how she is doing with the storms. I am not too worried about her because she lives on the north side of the island, but there could be a huge amount of damage on the south side of the island (Kihei and Wailea area). The last time there was a heavy rain there was 1970, and there was a lot of damage.

SO here I sit with the cat on my lap...