Notices

Weekender 5/29-6/1 - Dealing with summer

Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey folks,

Big weekend here. Today was my grandmother's memorial service. Yesterday I started my morning at O'Hare International Airport and flew to visit family. Today we had the service. I sat front and center, and watched my father and cousin deliver very nice speeches to honor my grandmother. After the ceremony, I spent a few hours talking in the reception room - there were about 100 people there from all over the country and many international visitors as well. This is the kind of thing that usually makes me really anxious...and today was no different. However, I used my coping skills: exercise in the morning, meditation, and most of all trusted myself to do the right thing. I am happy to say I really "enjoyed" the event (it was a funeral, after all).

Tomorrow I will travel back home to Chicago. I am tired, but happy to have done my part in this event, and I am excited to move forward with my own opportunities this summer.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I missed all the bacon discussion. I have a pound of deli bacon that must be cooked. Thanks for reminding me.

Well, another Friday down. Busy, busy, busy. But I did go to my beginners meeting. The topic of discussion was "symptoms of relapse." It was a good meeting. We always get hand outs. I saved mine. Good for reference.

Everyone had such interesting and reasonably healthy dinners. I had cookies. Homemade cookies that my mother baked but still cookies. I hate this not cooking anymore. I have to do it some more. Vent vent vent.

Tomorrow. I can always cook tomorrow. Tonight it's bedtime.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Cookies are always a good option for dinner. Always.

I hung up my recently purchased Tibetan Prayer Flag in my backyard.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-2699629215.jpg (35.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Wish I had some cookies.. Those flags are beautiful olive.
I'm looking forward to the weekend. Going to a wedding tomorrow with one of my good friends and thankfully there will be no alcohol
(Against the bride and grooms religion)
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Speaking of cookies (Sorry to bring it up since you are without cookies, Hawk)...

Love your photo Olive...and the pine in the background. That is so Northwest

So, back to the story...cookies. Ben and Jerry have renamed their 'Heath Bar Crunch'es ice creams to 'Toffee Bar Crunch'es!? In honor of the commitment to source non-GMO and Fair Trade.

Whoa. That is pretty big. Tried it tonight and still ultra tasty, my friends.

Just about done with the Friday night. Sleep tight everyone. Hawk, you are doing famously. Doing a great job walking the walk. Hug to you.

Ruby, enjoy your bacon!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I will enjoy the bacon once I make it in the morning. Time for bed. My home PC seems to be on the verge of crashing. I have to back up ALL my photographs since my kids were infants. Hopefully it lasts until I do that.

Olive, I love the prayer flag. It is awesome.

I took this photo on the way to work. It caught my eye. It was only after I looked at it that I noticed the irony - alcohol recovery meetings on "Normal" Avenue. The yellow sign in the background is a "Safe Passage" sign - adding to the irony. And the ministers name is Tyran T. Laws. Did his mother not see what the middle initial does to the first name? Really?

Good night all! See you in the morning for bacon.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Friday night done, enjoyed some Mexican food with my girlfriend
Gnight all
Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I am going to repost this in a bigger size - unless shouted down. It is just perfect on so many levels. But that will have to wait until the morning. Slow computer. Very slow.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Let's see if this does the trick.

http://i60.tinypic.com/j73fjc.jpg
Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Ha! That reminds me of :

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." Albert Camus
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sober clover thanks for the reminder about "taxi" resentment .. i used to be grouchy over having to that in my drinking days .. these days it's a pleasure to do stuff for those i care about .

Hey big sombrero good journey on the way home . When my grandma died it was the final catalyst for me getting sober , treat yourself well .

Hey everyone ,
Saturday morning here 6 am nice to see people getting back on the horse , staying on the horse ..

if things got to you friday it's a new day today, we get to try and do the right thing, learn from the experience and try something different .

I always imagined if i were dropped into a cabin or bothy in the canadian wilderness or scottish highlands , i would be sober with no store or shop nearby .. luckily i didn't have to go so far or do anything so drastic ..

i was my own wilderness and hid in my bed when things got too much generally from 6pm till 6 am it was only at the beginning for a month or six weeks .. worth it to get through ..
Lots of chores to do today but before that i'm going to make coffee and plant some shrubs in the garden ..

hope you all have a sober saturday , m
Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi all -

Mecanix - Enjoy your saturday morning coffee & day in the garden - sounds like a gratifyingly lovely saturday.

Big Sombrero - Be well on your journey home. I joined about 16 months ago and have enjoyed hearing your journey. Your continued growth has been inspirational.

Ruby2 - Thanks for the chuckle.

Olive - looks like a beautiful day in Seattle and a lovely splash of color against the green of the trees.

I just got home and headed to bed shortly. I'm in a class all weekend so the days are pretty packed, and I'm happy taking the moment to just unwind. Life is good.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I'm in!Been to my first AA meetings this week and I honestly thought they wouldn't help me,but I've met some very interesting and nice people and it has helped me so much.

Last week I ended up on a 4 day binge of alcohol and unfortunately cocaine,didn't eat and ended up throwing up all day Sunday at work.Just looking back a week ago to what I felt like to now is such a great feeling which I can feel every week now.

Just read this thread and it seems were all going to go through to Monday sober free.Its going to be my first official sober summer EVER!!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

So i picked up my husband from work which meant i had to drive downtown in Friday afternoon traffic. It was an absolutely gorgeous day in Seattle so everyone, their dog, their mother and their mother's dog was out driving and walking. We parked and stopped for coffee. One of my AA friends called me and asked me to go to a meeting with her. My poor husband! I just said yes and him, being the sweetie that he is, went along with it. We grabbed early dinner, made it to the meeting and he got to watch me pick up my 2 month coin. We really enjoyed our night.

So after i got home, i walked over to the grocery store that's right next to my place. I noticed a guy in there wearing a shirt i recognized and liked. (It was the Bob Cats by the guy that write The Oatmeal webcomic) He asked if i knew the artist and i told him i met the artist briefly at Comicon. Turns out, he's the artist! I stammered awkwardly like a fangirl and told him that i really like his work. I felt like such a dork! But hey, i was stone cold sober, looked fabulous and was genuine in my admiration of his work. I'm so glad i'm not at home feeling like a jerk for being drunk in front of someone i read!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ruby.... What I got from your picture is that normal is a one way street.... Not where I come from!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Had a rather sucky day yesterday. There is this crazy guy at work. Having grown up with a alcoholic father I can see crazy coming a mile away. Well this guy makes everything that needs to get done a project. He made yesterday miserable. I retreated to bed early and as such I am up early.

Getting the car serviced first thing then exercise. The sullenness has not left me but I will observe it from a distance.

I love that there is sooooooooo much positivity here this weekend! You all rock!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Had a rather sucky day yesterday. There is this crazy guy at work. Having grown up with a alcoholic father I can see crazy coming a mile away. Well this guy makes everything that needs to get done a project. He made yesterday miserable. I retreated to bed early and as such I am up early.

Getting the car serviced first thing then exercise. The sullenness has not left me but I will observe it from a distance.

I love that there is sooooooooo much positivity here this weekend! You all rock!
What exercise you doing today weasel?pretty nice weather today down in the south east,might even buy myself a bike for some countryside bike riding this summer :-)
Old 05-31-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Wow, you're waking up? I haven't gone to bed yet! Lol.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Soberfolk!

I don't mean to brag, but I was just putting my boots on...I was using the garage steps to assist so I don't have to bend all the way down to the floor to tie them...but I was still bent over in a vulnerable position...and I got the wettest, hottest, most passionate kiss I've had in a long time.

It was from my German Shepherd, who pulled her dripping jowls from the water bowl and licked the side of my head from jaw to ear.

Now THAT'S how you start the day!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!!

I'm trying something new at work today, decaf coffee, we ran out of the regular stuff, I used to not see the point of coffee without caffeine in it, sorta like non alcoholic beer, what would be the point . . . hmmm maybe that's another addiction I need to sort out one of these days!!

Another hour to go and then finished, then I have to do a few last minute messages for next weekend, my sister is getting married, so have a list of things to make sure are sorted, funny how just through a blood connection a person can be landed with responsibility and a do list out of nowhere!! . . . I really don't mind, I enjoy the novelty of it all!!

Then home to relax!!