Notices

Weekender 5/29-6/1 - Dealing with summer

Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Great day in this part of the world....the weather was perfect earlier in the day. I just fired up the PPV Boxing as there's a big fight in the UK tonight Froch v Groves. Two guys that really dislike each other and I don't think it's just to promote the fight. We shall see....I'm really looking forward to a good slugfest!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hey Mags- we gets lots of cardinals around here, mockingbirds, and the ubiquitous house sparrows. When I get the occasional goldfinch it's a real treat. We also have wild parrots. First time I saw them at my feeder I was really hungover and though I was hallucinating LOL.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good day being had by all. Hauled soccer equipment out of winter storage in the basement of my church. Then I hit an estate sale and bought some dishes, a vintage dress and a bag of stuffed animals. For my daughter. Then I spent my requisite hundred dollars or more at Target. Needed a birthday present for the party my son is attending tomorrow, then I decided to buy cereal, etc. I'm addicted to the chocolate-hazelnut biscotti granola and it is only at target. I tell myself that because it is granola, it's good for me.

Here are my plates.

Now it is time to get off my break and plant. Too hot but nice breeze. Should have done it this morning.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ooh Tiptree, wild parrots, brilliant. We get a lit of goldfinches and a lot of fledglings are feeding with their mothers, bless. A sight for sore eyes. We don't get mockingbirds but of course we get the sparrow though they aren't as common in uk as they used to be. There's lots in our garden though.
It's looked like rain most of the day in my part of the world but lovely and sunny now, we've missed it best part of day.
Oldselfagain, saw the boxers eyeballing each other earlier. Gotta be the older one to win, looks more wizened, not sure who's favourite.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ok all you smart arses... When I look at the pic I posted on my iPad it is right side up. On my PC it is upside down..... Leave it to olive to find a happy sideways medium.

Back from the movies... Saw a very trite movie called heaven is real. I was looking for it to pick my out of my pensive mood. Eh?

So I got a really good quality Italian sausage ravioli... The big kind of ravioli! Gonna douse it in buttermilk and then seasoned breadcrumbs... Then into the over to bake until crispy. Marinara sauce for dipping and I have me a dinner!

Everyone sound festive! Awesome!

K
Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

nice weekend so far! woke up early and hit the market with my mom, sat and had a nice coffee with a friend and hit the AA meeting, tanned and read in the parents backward for a cpl hours and now home and watching a chick flick I pvd'r before the BF gets home.

Happy Saturday All!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi weekenders I read you guys every weekend. Some of my favorite ppl frequent this thread.

Ken, I love your summer post. Summer is always special to me because I don't work in the summer. Early on there were times the AV would conjure up some lovely mental picture of cold coronas on the beach, but the real truth...what has always been the real truth is that drinking in the 98 degree heat always ended poorly. Very poorly. And of course many a beautiful summer day was spent inside in the dark, hungover. Wasted. Pathetic.

I love to party. I love gatherings, I love the beach, I love to be outside, running, biking, or just laying on the beach. I am so lucky to get to spend every summer doing Exactly. What. I. Want. I stopped drinking a long time ago, but I never stopped partying!

When I drank, I often talked (slurred) about doing cool, fun, interesting, or ballsy things.

Now I actually do those things.

Ps...ruby, let's see the vintage dress!! Thrifting is one of my favorite pastimes!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I just had a really nice, long, contemplative walk in perfect weather. Much better than sitting indoors all day getting drunk and stupid!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Had a nice day 2. Woke up early and kept busy picking up the mess in my house. Now it's home again and tonight it's movie time
Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Mags, I have a gigantic flock of sparrows if you are short some in the UK. We have one pair of cardinals, some robins,some crows and a whole lot of sparrows. Once in a while I spot a hawk high up. We get the parrots too but I haven't seen any yet this year. Last summer I was fortunate enough to see a hummingbird.

Planted the veg. I have to buy tomato cages and milk and fix something for dinner. Running out of steam. And clean house. And and and and. I think that's why drinking on the weekends was so appealing. When I was drunk, not getting all that stuff done didn't bother me. Now it is all staring me in the face, calling "me first! Me first! Get me done first." Perhaps I should step away from the iPad.

Ken, your pictures appear the right side up on my iPad. No upside down gecko cats here. Olive's dog was sideways though. Cute dog and hopefully he and Olive are enjoying the beach trip.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well, my old and sick dog (not the one who licked me) just got too old and too sick. I had her euthanized a few hours ago. Very sad for us. She was a beauty and a great friend.

Spent the afternoon ripping pine. It takes my mind off things. Gotta stay focused or lose a finger to that spinning blade. Got some new shop toys (bench top sanders) and I am building some rolling cabinets to put them on.

I built a ramp on the front of the house last year when Mrs Non broke both feet. Old Dog couldn't do the steps anymore, so we kept the ramp even when Mrs Non was healed. Dismantling that just moved up my to-do list.

Glad everyone is doing well.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Non - I am so sorry about your dog. It's so hard to let them go, but it's the kindest thing we can do for them after all the years of love they give to us. I'm thinking of you.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Oh non, I'm so sorry about your dog. Faithful and loving friends. Letting mine go after 14 years is one of the all time saddest days of my life.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
pray for strength

((((Non and Non's family))))

Old 05-31-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Non... my beloved little friend is getting up there too and I know that time will come. I try not to think about it.

I went to that wedding today, it was beautiful. Unfortunately my friend who was going with me had to cancel last min because of work so I flew solo. I thought it would be alcohol free but it wasn't. They had a pay bar. Everyone at my table had a drink except me. At first it was nerve wracking as I didn't know any of them and of course didn't have my usual 'friend' to use as a crutch.. but I rode through the anxiety sipping on my ginger ale.

The only real test I had was the older lady sitting next to me who kept trying to push her second bloody mary on me because it was 'too strong' and why aren't YOU drinking?? Observing her after she finished her second made me even more resolved to stay sober.

Ps. Weasel, you're making me hungry for ravioli!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I'll be honest though even though I made it through another 'the universe' is testing me, I feel the AV coming on now that I'm home... so it looks like another night of take out (I don't trust myself in the grocery store when I feel like this) and movies. Any recommendations? movie trilogies perhaps? I was thinking of lord of the rings but I don't think I'd be able to finish it before Monday morning...
Old 05-31-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hawk, I'm glad you got through the wedding. I don't really have any movie ideas; I was going to get on Netflix soon and see I can find something too. Tell the AV to go take a hike!

I got take out for me and the kids - I had pad Thai and the kids had vege lo mein. Not bad and the kitchen is clean. And I have left overs. One thing I really like about being sober is that I don't have to find take-out that delivers because I don't feel like I should drive or debating internally if I am okay to drive or not. Now, I can drive all over the place with peace of mind. Grateful for that!

Hope the evening goes well for everyone. This thread is great and I really look forward to logging in and reading everyone's posts.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Non, I am so sorry to hear of your dog. It's so sad to say goodbye to a friend.

Hawk, my husband always puts on Lord of the Rings. It's his go to movie series. It is long. Maybe start tonight? Star Wars? I bought the movie Pacific Rim and have yet to watch it. Do you order movies online? Nth at gives you flexibility. If you want to be scared Alien and the second one, Aliens.

I used to dread grocery shopping. Now it's only when I'm hungry that I get the anxiety about the alcohol. Take out is a good option. Good for you that you stuck to the ginger ale at the wedding!

I have pork chops baking. Salad. I bought potato salad but the kids won't eat it. I think tomorrow is clean the fridge day and cooking and prepping to fill it back up. Daughter wants tuna salad for lunch. What five year old eats tuna salad? Apparently mine. It's a good sign. Maybe they will branch out into other "weird" things. She insisted that I buy some at the deli counter and then ate it in the car.

I'm going to take her to an open meeting tonight. There is a tv room for kids. Pizza night at the end of the month afterwards. Til later.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your dog Non.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Non, I am very sorry that you lost your friend. I understand how hard it can be as I have lost several myself. Hold peace in your heart.

The Heavy Medal meeting last night was FANTASTIC and so was the Carrot Cake! The energy in the room was incredibly positive and very uplifting. One lady received her 30 year chip!

Tonight my very good friend is coming over for dinner and to watch some concert DVDs.... along with going to live show's, reliving concerts on my big screen and listening to the music through my stereo is one of my passions. Yesterday I got excellent seats to see Dave Mason's Traffic Jam in one of my favorite local venue's. 7th row dead center!

Tomorrow is my favorite meeting, held in a local state park picnic area under HUGE Redwoods and Bay tree's!

Have a GREAT sat night everyone!