Notices

Weekender 5/29-6/1 - Dealing with summer

Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

gosh... again I don't know where to start my commentary I got caught up in oldself's 'choice' thread for a bit - but if I read all of that and this and more, it will be afternoon before I shower and start the day.
My condolences to all who have suffered a loss recently.

AND: There are no wild parrots in New York. They are called escaped or released from captivity parrots who managed to adapt - okay, wild. I find it interesting that they call the parrots wild, but they don't call the sparrows or finches wild.
Have a good day everybody.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Wow! Those ravioli are amazing! So easy to do.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Hi everyone,

Well, I had a good sober weekend. Today has been the best day and it's not even 3 pm yet! I got up and went to a women's meeting at ten. I heard a lot of good things and I always take away one thing to think about. This dear lady, must have been 80ish or older, shared that she didn't get sober until she was 73! So much for my excuse that 55 is too old and I might as well retire with a bottle of coffee brandy, milk and ice cubes!

After that I put the top down on my convertible and went for a nice ride along the coast. That song "happy" was playing and I felt on top of the world, I kind of felt guilty for feeling so good LOL, but I have paid the price in tears many many times over. Jails, lost jobs, relationships, opportunities, you guys know what I mean.

Then I came home and took a nice walk around the block. It's a beautiful day here and the best part...all the neighbors that are all yeeee haaaa last night, are all tucked in their wee little beds nursing a hangover (that used to be me). I always look forward to my quiet as a mouse Sundays in the neighborhood!

This is my first time on the weekend thread, so nice to read about everyone's weekend but I'm sorry, non, for your loss.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders!
Went to water the garden last night and then came home and watched two episodes of 'Fargo'. I forgot to post some of the pictures I took yesterday, so I thought I would put a couple up now.

Someone built a fort on the beach, and the beauty of going to the beach on a Saturday is that you most likely won't have to wait in line long for a ferry.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-962023308.jpg (90.9 KB, 55 views)
image-1975564831.jpg (55.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

And......
How did that elephant get on the island?
Window seat on the ferry car deck.
Attached Images
image-3325321373.jpg (62.1 KB, 55 views)
image-700500692.jpg (30.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Olive, them are some HUGE grains of sand on your beaches. Brings new meaning to lying on the beach and relaxing.

Weasel, I wonder if you post a picture of an upside down pineapple cake how it will come out. ???

Finally planted my tomatillo - another heated debate. Planted rows of more radishes - 4 kinds. Still more to plant. One cucumber mound is showing leaves, another is still deciding. Scrapped the black beans this year - just 10 pole bean plants. Kentucky wonder.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Olive, them are some HUGE grains of sand on your beaches. Brings new meaning to lying on the beach and relaxing.
Makes it much easier to keep the sand out of your shorts when it is that size.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Didn't know they had elephants in Seattle!!

I'm taking it easy this Sunday evening, catching up on the sport, the golf is currently drawing to a close, with the ice hockey a bit later on!!

Though work in the morning comes early on a Monday, but it's a short week for me this week with Friday booked off on holiday!!

Hope we all made it Weekenders, and if we didn't tomorrow is another Day to be Sober!!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Brings new meaning to lying on the beach and relaxing...
Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
...easier to keep the sand out of your shorts when it is that size.
Free hot stone massage in the Pacific Northwest...just lay down and take it. That sounds great.

Closing out the day here in my part of the world. Still a sick house here. Another sober weekend - racking them up! Nice job everyone

Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Got my chores done. Mrs Non scored some free tickets to a concert at the beach, so we are going this evening. Not my first choice for things to do as I am somewhat a hermit, but I have to do what she wants sometimes.

Be well, All!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Been toting kids around all day. Time for quiet time. It's my weekend too and I keep feeling like I have to do all this stuff for everyone else. It's getting to me.

These are the Monk parakeets that are populating chicago. I didn't take this photo. Weird that parakeets are here in the subzero winters. I just spotted two hawks a gliding around in the sky. Wish they were closer.

Feels like rain. I'll get on here later. Sounds like everyone is doing well. Big Sombrero, love the farmers markets in mpls/st. Paul. I lived in MN for 12 years. Used to go to the market on Sundays by the Basilica with a friend.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Been toting kids around all day. Time for quiet time. It's my weekend too and I keep feeling like I have to do all this stuff for everyone else. It's getting to me.

Ruby, I had to do the same. I told the kids I had a tummy ache (that's the illness they have to most sympathy for) and needed to lie down. Went into my bedroom and slept for more than an hour!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

No, this wasn't vandals. This was my kids unattended. Daddy, daddy, daddy. It's tempera and will wash off and I've let them do murals on the garage so I guess we have a temporarily cheery fence.

Time to make some dinner. I think it's a bacon and eggs kind of night.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Grace, how old are your kids? I think you may have said but my brain shut down earlier today. I completely empathize. Taxi service is down for the night. My kids are almost six and eight.

Some kids just peddled by, admiring the "color burst". I just hope we don't get free lancers.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hello, my fellow Whee!kenders!

I HAD MY FIRST SOBER WEEKEND IN ????!!!! I was a little lazy yesterday but did some shopping yesterday afternoon and then cooked when I came home, stuff for lunches mainly. This morning my husband and I went out to Williamsburg for breakfast at one of our favorite places, the Old Chickahominy House. We visited with the resident cat, Miss Melinda, and my husband fell in love with a monster painting that he just had to have. After discovering it wouldn't fit in our car, we headed for his mom's grave to plant some roses and made a quick visit to Merchant's Square in Colonial Williamsburg so I could get a new set of colanders. We then came back to Richmond, and I puttered around with more domestic stuff while he recruited a neighbor to go back to Williamsburg and get the painting. I grilled ribeyes to go with some cole slaw, and now it's time to relax and do some reading. The weather was beautiful too. Hope everyone else had an awesome whee!kend!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Didn't know they had elephants in Seattle!!
We do have a few elephants at the local zoo.
This one was a giant sculpture of an elephant that was standing out front of a farm stand that has the best raspberries. It wasn't there last summer. It looked odd standing out there in the middle of the field. It took me a little by surprise.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Yay Mandalay on a sober Whee!!kEnd! Now drawing to a close. I'm picturing a painting of Frankenstein when you said monster painting. That big, huh? Rib eyes with cole slaw sound good.

Olive, is that a real elephant or a statue? Definitely out of its element. Although, Hannibal did use them to cross the Alps way back when. I imagine it was cold. And that was a question on Who Wants to be a Millionaire that the college educated guy didn't get and was eliminated and my grandfather who didn't go to school beyond eighth grade did get. What does that say about school now?

The little graffiti artists will be going to bed soon. Although they don't know it yet. My son, when asked whether he wanted tacos or bacon for dinner said "bacon tacos" I figured he was on to something. So that is what he had.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Olive, the elephant question and answer crossed paths
Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

I must have been reading your mind, Ruby!

I think you should leave the fence art....very Pollack. I would love to have their artwork on my fence! It would match my flag!

And I was also hoping Mandalay would post a picture of the Monster painting.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Mandalay, can you post a pic of the monster painting?

Olive, I plan to let the pollack painting be. My daughter and I painted dragon flies on the garage door last summer and they only faded out in the winter. It will be there a while.