Notices

I have it.....

Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Awesome!!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
It's 42 hours since I last had a drink. I have definately improved. I have a touch of mild anxiety, still a little weak and wobbly. Head is still a little fuzzy. A tiny bit of nausea. Otherwise not too bad.

Hopefully a good night's sleep will sort me out. I think the worst of it is past.
Wishing you the best.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing ok hun. If I was being the least bit preachy then i apologise for that. I have had a lot of support from this forum over my now 9 days sober, and like yourself, i haven't been drinking everyday for 20+ years, im only 29. Personally I haven't experienced preachyness only people who care, who have been through the worst and are offering experienced help. Wishing you all the best.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Put it this way, getting myself to AA has been my biggest challenge because once I detox I convince myself that I am in good health and can drink normally. I then go back to drinking and manage it for ages. Then, all of a sudden, I go on a binge or two, usually to cover depression, get withdrawals, drink for a few days to keep them at bay and find myself back at this stage. My post history is reflective of that.

Its all about the mental side of it.
As you are going to go to AA you may wish to read the chapter of the Big Book titled The Doctor's Opinion.

He outlines the disease of alcholism as being a craving of the body and and obsession of the mind.

The craving of the body will dealt with by detox within a few days but the obsession of the mind is much more difficult to deal with. Many alcoholics with long periods of being sober suddenly give in to the obsession of the mind and drink again. Once they start drinking again the physical cravings kick in again.

If you google Big Book online you will find it easily. It was written a long time ago but is still relevant today.

Good luck with your meeting.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by angharad View Post
Hope you're doing ok hun. If I was being the least bit preachy then i apologise for that. I have had a lot of support from this forum over my now 9 days sober, and like yourself, i haven't been drinking everyday for 20+ years, im only 29. Personally I haven't experienced preachyness only people who care, who have been through the worst and are offering experienced help. Wishing you all the best.
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what they have to say. But with some there seems to me an underlying sentiment that if you don't do what they did than you must be an idiot.

Anyhow, approaching 60 hours and feeling greatly improved. Just a bit weak and tired. Otherwise not too bad.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by intention View Post

The craving of the body will dealt with by detox within a few days but the obsession of the mind is much more difficult to deal with. Many alcoholics with long periods of being sober suddenly give in to the obsession of the mind and drink again. Once they start drinking again the physical cravings kick in again.
I can certainly understand this. Alcohol takes up a lot of my brain time. It has gone from being something I think about occasionally to working out when I can afford to get a little drunk because its my only source of fun. Stupid.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I may be able to control it, but I like it too much and that's the problem. It's a bit like sex addiction. The physical dependancy isn't really there and only occurs of I go on a mega binge, after which I detox.

The problem I have is that sometimes after those binges I get withdrawals. I don't like them and it takes days out of my schedule, thus is affecting my productivity. That's why I want to stop.

You know, a lot of people here are very preachy. It's almost as if people want me to hit their type of rock bottom, say a bottle and half of vodka every day for 20 years, in order to truly be serious about knocking the drinking on the head.

hey how you doing..........been a while.

Glad to hear your coming through it...........cant say i could do that without medical intervention........your route is your route i guess..

Some suffer horrific withdrawals if they stop abrutly..........some dont.
and it isnt all about the amount....... its also dependent on your physical condition prior to detox..in my own experience..

i can only give you my experience with abstinace....

for me i learnt the hard way that alcoholism is not all about drinking...
for me its plenty to do with what happens when i dont......
im consumed with a mental obssesion to do it all over again........with scant regard to what happened last time.

that obsession shouldnt be confused with a craving..........i get cravings for a cuddle with the wife....or a strawberry cheese....
but when theres no wife.........or no cheese cake.......it isnt a big deal.

that mental obssesion is part of why im an alcoholic....chronic in fact.
its coupled with an alergy of sorts......
most drink and fill up slowly and stop.
with me i drink and the craving for more is uncontrolable.........rather than fill up........i continue till blackout or forced to stop.

some find a 12 step program sets them free..........other try other programs.

and hey..........big it up for the shelf stackers.....
i have a friend.......17 years sober and works in the fried chicken bar ...lol
one of his sponsees is a senior doctor.

i hope you do well sober..............really i do............but if you find life unbearable or you continue to find yourself drinking maybe check out aa or some other program.

back in the day.........i worked as a civil engineer on projects all over europe.
all the money i could eat..........the world at my feet in my early twentys..ish

by the time it got to late twentys i was living in a multi storey carpark or a shop doorway......a vagrant.....

keep in touch......
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

It is really wonderful to see how well you are doing El C - none of this is easy but sometimes easy just don't cut it!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

EI,
Just please make sure you write down how **** poor you have felt since the last drink during this process. I would journal every single little thing from sweats to guilt, etc..Because you know that 4-5 days from now you will physically feel a whole lot better and the drink doesn't seem as evil anymore. I know you have been here before but please start putting together some tools to help you beat the urge. I really wish you would fully commit to AA and get a sponsor because that's the easier and softer way as we say in the program. No need to rebuild the wheel, eh? Anyway, I hope you stay sober and feel better!!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

ElChup.. i'm Glad to Hear you Are Doing it! My Sobriety is My #1 Priority in My Life.. i Was Making More Money Than i Ever Made in My Life at a Job That i Hated Just Before i Began My Sober Journey Again in Sept 06' (i Had To Quit That Job to Begin) Take Care..
Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

All the best to you ElC! You can do it!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I love that advice, Dee... "Don't leave it in God's hands tomorrow - find help today." That's something that I can use everyday.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Haven't heard from you in a couple of days....how are you doing?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah - check in when you can El C.

D
Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Enjoying Sobriety

How are you, El C? Let us know.

Hello to everyone else!! ! !

See, I can keep it short and simple..............if I really try!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm also wondering how you're doing. Please check in. We care about your well being.

:ghug3
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Hi folks.

Well, it's been up and down for me. I got to day three and I had to travel 30 miles on trains. I just didn't have the energy for it and so I screwed up and hit the wine. However....I drank much less than the previous week and managed to taper off to the extent that last Friday was Day 1 again and by then the withdrawals from my stupid whiskey endeavours had reduced considerably. The worst thing I have had, aside from anxiety and dizziness, has been a huge sleep debt, but that seems to be sorting itself out now.

I have, as of 12 minutes ago, just completed Day 6 and I am feeling more energetic than I have in damned ages. Looking forward to getting lots of energy in the future.

Tomorrow I am going to try and muster the courage to go to my first AA meeting.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are getting on and I hope you do go to that meeting. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

Glad to hear it! Hang in there.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Glad to hear from you. I am routing for you.