Thread: I have it.....
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
shaun00

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I may be able to control it, but I like it too much and that's the problem. It's a bit like sex addiction. The physical dependancy isn't really there and only occurs of I go on a mega binge, after which I detox.

The problem I have is that sometimes after those binges I get withdrawals. I don't like them and it takes days out of my schedule, thus is affecting my productivity. That's why I want to stop.

You know, a lot of people here are very preachy. It's almost as if people want me to hit their type of rock bottom, say a bottle and half of vodka every day for 20 years, in order to truly be serious about knocking the drinking on the head.

hey how you doing..........been a while.

Glad to hear your coming through it...........cant say i could do that without medical intervention........your route is your route i guess..

Some suffer horrific withdrawals if they stop abrutly..........some dont.
and it isnt all about the amount....... its also dependent on your physical condition prior to detox..in my own experience..

i can only give you my experience with abstinace....

for me i learnt the hard way that alcoholism is not all about drinking...
for me its plenty to do with what happens when i dont......
im consumed with a mental obssesion to do it all over again........with scant regard to what happened last time.

that obsession shouldnt be confused with a craving..........i get cravings for a cuddle with the wife....or a strawberry cheese....
but when theres no wife.........or no cheese cake.......it isnt a big deal.

that mental obssesion is part of why im an alcoholic....chronic in fact.
its coupled with an alergy of sorts......
most drink and fill up slowly and stop.
with me i drink and the craving for more is uncontrolable.........rather than fill up........i continue till blackout or forced to stop.

some find a 12 step program sets them free..........other try other programs.

and hey..........big it up for the shelf stackers.....
i have a friend.......17 years sober and works in the fried chicken bar ...lol
one of his sponsees is a senior doctor.

i hope you do well sober..............really i do............but if you find life unbearable or you continue to find yourself drinking maybe check out aa or some other program.

back in the day.........i worked as a civil engineer on projects all over europe.
all the money i could eat..........the world at my feet in my early twentys..ish

by the time it got to late twentys i was living in a multi storey carpark or a shop doorway......a vagrant.....

keep in touch......