Thread: I have it.....
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Put it this way, getting myself to AA has been my biggest challenge because once I detox I convince myself that I am in good health and can drink normally. I then go back to drinking and manage it for ages. Then, all of a sudden, I go on a binge or two, usually to cover depression, get withdrawals, drink for a few days to keep them at bay and find myself back at this stage. My post history is reflective of that.

Its all about the mental side of it.
As you are going to go to AA you may wish to read the chapter of the Big Book titled The Doctor's Opinion.

He outlines the disease of alcholism as being a craving of the body and and obsession of the mind.

The craving of the body will dealt with by detox within a few days but the obsession of the mind is much more difficult to deal with. Many alcoholics with long periods of being sober suddenly give in to the obsession of the mind and drink again. Once they start drinking again the physical cravings kick in again.

If you google Big Book online you will find it easily. It was written a long time ago but is still relevant today.

Good luck with your meeting.