Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Tired all the time to be honest but still can't find the elusive sleep lol. But the morning and days are fine, they were when i was drinking, I was living for 4pm. I guess I'm enjoying my work this week for the first time in a long time I feel like I'm doing it properly.

Its just the evenings that are hard. Oh and the weekends are so long! Thanks everyone for your support. I'm finding this really useful to express myself on here and have words to tell me im not alone.

My partner has been great! I've had a red rose every day this week and he tells me how proud he is of me!! I've never seen him SO romantic / helpful / supportive
Old 02-18-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by angharad View Post
My partner has been great! I've had a red rose every day this week and he tells me how proud he is of me!! I've never seen him SO romantic / helpful / supportive

That's lovely and to think you had all that fear of telling him the truth. I'm so glad you are making progress.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's so great you have that support Angharad!
I'm very pleased for you

Keep up the good work!
D
Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am proud of you and happy for you that your partner is so supportive.

(((hugs)))
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well and that your partner is so supportive!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Beginner

I can relate to the fatigue, 4pm thing, and the time on your hands.

It's great to hear that work is benefiting.

Most of all, it's wonderful to hear about the support your getting.

Wishing you a great day!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated

So day 7 today. Bit apprehensive about this weekend. Will be long I know. Although instead of playing xbox all weekend like normal the other half has said we can go out for the day!

Glad to say the swets and shakes have seemed to be down to a bare minimum. Sleep is still elusive though. Althuogh I am waking up knackered in the mornings!

Visiting the in-laws as usual Saturday who I know will ask me for a drink, and i will say no, and like last week they will assume im pregnant!!!!

How do you get round the whole not drinking with family friends etc without lying too much or them thinking your pregnant!! I've always been the first to drink, the first to get the round of shots in on a night out, and the last girl standing since university, so people will want to know why ive changed, and at the age of 29 they all think im pregnant!!!:rotfxko
Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi Ang - I am 29 too - 3 days so far for me - I knew the evening would be terrible and study just does not seem fun - believe me I know I am back to the books Monday - Anyway for bordom I have bought some books on beading (not ever been art or craft but worth a try) and a book on reinventing your "image" (kind of the stuff Gok does on how to look good naked) so I will read that and maybe mess with makeup, clothes and nails (little bit superficial I know).

As for what to say to people - my line is I am on a health kick - going to stop drinking for 3 months (then say I feel so good I don't want to start again) I know honesty is the best policy but spilling you secrets (especially when you are in a respected position and seemingly have it "all together") can be hard - and it is really none of their business anyway - this is what is best for you.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How do you get round the whole not drinking with family friends etc
I don't see why just telling them you're giving it up for your health isn't good enough. As said, it's no one's business anyway. Stand up for yourself if you need to and just repeat as often as necessary, "I'm doing this for my health." If anyone has a problem with this, it's their problem, not yours.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. The sleep will come in time. We have a forum for sleep problems, maybe check it out to see what you can try to sleep better.

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

How about "I've quit, and my health feels so much better for it"

Then move the subject onto something else and don't make a big deal about it. Perhaps in time you will feel more able to talk about it.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How are you doing today? (((hugs))) Hope your weekend goes well.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well surprisingly I woke up naturally at 9am and cleaned the house....in a good mood!!! Much to my bf's dismay as he lay in bed whilst i was hoovering lol

Last night however was hard. Hardest so far in my opinion. Friday night with no drink! I won't lie I was bored silly, agitated, grumpy, snapped at my bf (he was understanding) and was a bit of a bitch to be honest! I was in bed by midnight!!!

Tonight me, the bf, his best mate and his parents are all going to see a stand up comic (for you Brits out there...Lee Mack!)...I decided to drive, to make things easier on myself, therefore no temptation and people won't ask why im not drinking!! At least tonight I will have something to take my mind off an evening with no drink!

I am on Day 8 today (if last sat was day 1) and starting to feel a cloud lift!
Thanks all <3
Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Last night may have been difficult, but waking up with a clear head is so worth it.

Enjoy your sober night out.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So glad you're feeling better day by day. And also glad your partner is so understanding.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Beginner

Great to hear!

Being the driver has helped me in the past as well; I hope you enjoy the evening.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Being the driver is all well and good until you get home and want a drink :/ Guess its time to go lie in bed
Old 02-20-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I've been there - it isn't pretty. Just hearing your story is giving me determination to stay sober this time. Thank you for that. For me the main thing was realizing I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk. But I do have support from my famiy and they are proud of me for not drinking. I don't want to let them down. Typing this is also reinforcing my goals. Sorry if I'm not helping you, but doing this is really helping me!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

No hun you type all you want We are all here to help each other Posting my daily feelings and recovery helps me but hearing that others are like me, and that possibly my lowly 8 days sober so far is inspiring others to quit is making me feel grateful!! Keep it going
Old 02-20-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

inspiring others to quit is making me feel grateful!!
Ditto! We are stronger together than separately.